27yrs old from NZ been living Surabaya 1month

Tront93

Happy new year to come So it's been a month now. I have a comfortable place to call home with my awesome girlfriend. we have been together almost 3yrs now I have been visiting Surabaya on and off since and it's starting to feel more like what I expect a home to be. its been my first time driving/riding bikes and staying in the same place for more than a few weeks at a time here in Indonesia

I'm missing the creature comforts of home back in AUSTRALIA and New Zealand. Surabaya can be quite a challenging city for someone like myself I enjoy beaches fishing surfing skateboarding adventure and new activities with drinking beer and my job as a scaffolder in construction and mining along with a party lifestyle in Perth aus. But times are changing and I'm getting older lol. I'd love to learn more Bahasa Indonesia and maybe meet some like minded humans for a chat cheers

Welcome to the forum. Are you thinking of settling down, getting married and starting a family in Indonesia? Lots of forum members who have experience with that, if you have any questions.

Welcome! Is it possible to get a beer in Surabaya any more? Or is it a dry city now?
Hey Herbert it's not as dry as I considered it to be at first. The major supermarkets of my area in the West Lotte/hyper mart supply the standard selection of drink and it's not to hard to find a decent Venu for a cold one if your out and about .my girlfriend even managed to get me a few cold bintangs from from a laundry shop on a certain strip that apparently was a red light district once upon a time.

Welcome to the forum. Are you thinking of settling down, getting married and starting a family in Indonesia? Lots of forum members who have experience with that, if you have any questions.
Haha thanks ! Who knows what the future holds? but it's definitely a plan I'd like to be settled here one day.

Welcome to The forum.

From my experience, at least in Bandung. Cities have a habit of opening up to you the longer you stay. I used to think Bandung was a challenge and couldn’t find anything I needed (wanted)....

After 4 years here I know where to get my months supply of beers, the road I take my push bike for repairs/ service, good pork, decent sushi, and a burger I’d consider the best in Indonesia. Things that used to be a pain in the ass or a challenge are either solved myself or I now have the WA of someone who knows.

@Will_M Perhaps you can share some of those suggestions for good pork, sushi and Indonesia's best burger :D
@Mods, perhaps we can have a sticky thread or on the website that has recommendations of good places to go for various topics in various cities? Then we can have a voting system where forum members can vote up if they agree with the place being a "good" one.

"......its been my first time driving/riding bikes and staying in the same place for more than a few weeks at a time here in Indonesia...."
Tront, I trust you have an international driving and motor cycle permit. People may not ask to show a licence when hiring a car or motorbike but the consequences of not having these in Indonesia can be disastrous. Even if you have medical insurance it will not be covered without a licence. An accident involving a national, even if obviously not your fault, could also be very messy. Given the tendency for whole families to travel on one motor bike can you imagine the trauma were a child or baby killed in an accident.

That said have a happy New Year

After riding a bike for more than 10 yrs in Surabaya I can tell you that the only time you will be pulled over is when they are having a blitz on rego/licence checks. Then after 15mins of explaining what an international licence is, as they cannot read English they just say go with a smile. I have only been pull over in Surabaya once, Bali is a different story. I now have sim A,C. Where in west surabaya are you staying?

My concern was not so much of being pulled over as to the consequences if involved in an accident.

I never used to have insurance but I do now, touch wood never been in an accident. The traffic is so slow in Surabaya, the best speed I would go is 40 kph but you never know when my luck will run out.

I never used to have insurance but I do now, touch wood never been in an accident. The traffic is so slow in Surabaya, the best speed I would go is 40 kph but you never know when my luck will run out.

An unlicensed driver involved in an accident which results in injuries can face jail time. This is perhaps more of a problem than the financial cost of repairing vehicles.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819