Wh owns the chicken?

Vanhelsing

Cager
If you run over someone's chicken on a scooter or in a car and reasonably compensate them, do you then own the dead chicken?

for me it is a no, transfer of ownership happen when both party agreed so, " i want your chicken so i killed it with my vehicle, here is money???" does it feel right?

I guess the inconvenience of having your chicken killed at an inopportune time by another comes with certain expectations or demands, but wanting to retain ownership would surely be relative to the compensation offered. If I give you well above market price...the bird's mine. But let's face it, nobody wants egg on their face.

True story from the island of Pohnpei in Micronesia: a friend was driving when a dog ran in front of his car and got hit. He got out to inspect the situation and a witness happened to be nearby and came over as well.

The two of them contemplated the dog at the side of the road. It was clearly dead. Realizing there was nothing he could do, my friend turned to leave. The witness brightened noticeably. "You don't want it?" he asked. On receiving an answer in the negative, he picked up the dog and said, "oh good! Dinner!"

So, in Micronesia anyway, absent knowledge of the owner, I guess the driver gets the meat.

Compensation? Don't forget all the lost eggs and the next generations?

Compensation? Don't forget all the lost eggs and the next generations?
The compensation should be enough to purchase a replacement egg-laying hen; problem solved. The driver should get to keep the meat or deduct its fair market value from the compensation given.

I think the first question is: Does the driver have to compensate for the chicken? If I were in that situation, I think I would compensate the owner. But from a legal point of view...would the driver have to? Or is it the responsibility of the chicken's owner to ensure that the chicken is not able to reach the street? I know the chicken run around pretty much free without barriers surrounding them. But still, I am not sure how it is judged from a legal point of view. Bad luck for the owner or driver's fault? Would be interesting to know what animal protection law (existing?) or traffic law say :)

If you kill a dog driving in (the rural areas of) North Sulawesi, you can also expect quite a substantial claim, lost income...

The same for if you hit a motorcycle btw; the underlying thought is the 'richer' person (=definitely you) will pay for the damage.

If you kill a dog driving in (the rural areas of) North Sulawesi, you can also expect quite a substantial claim, lost income...

The same for if you hit a motorcycle btw; the underlying thought is the 'richer' person (=definitely you) will pay for the damage.

Probably not compliant with the law, but maybe often handled like this in reality.

This reminds me of when my wife was taking me to the airport in Solo a few years back. I can't remember if it was 1 chicken or 2 chickens she hit on the way there. Long story short, she didn't stop and just looked as surprise as me when the chicken decided it had enough of life.

I read somewhere, probably on one of those conspiracy sites that in Bali they intentionally train chickens to run out in front of oncoming tourists

And before that, they get trained on how to find an insurer via google and how to close a life insurance contract ;)

I read somewhere, probably on one of those conspiracy sites that in Bali they intentionally train chickens to run out in front of oncoming tourists
One from the battery ready to engage.

This would not surprise me. At.All. Sadly, tourists make for easy marks for this type of scam.
I remember a few years ago in Jakarta, a motorcyclist saw a "tukang ban" intentionally throwing nails into the street... Unfortunately for said tukang, the motorcyclist was a member of a gang... Suffice it to say that the tukang learned a painful lesson.

This would not surprise me. At.All. Sadly, tourists make for easy marks for this type of scam.
I remember a few years ago in Jakarta, a motorcyclist saw a "tukang ban" intentionally throwing nails into the street... Unfortunately for said tukang, the motorcyclist was a member of a gang... Suffice it to say that the tukang learned a painful lesson.

Meh come now....

I've never heard of this in all my time here. Also, Everyone knows you can't train chickens to do anything :LOL:

There was for the longest time a rumor that the monkeys in Sangeh were trained to steal your stuff by the vendors there. The idea was that you would buy food from them to barter with the monkey.

But those monkeys are really smart. I have no doubt they came to discover that scam on their own...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819