Tokopedia

colroe

Charter Member
A few years back, when in Australia for holidays, I needed a very small guitar part. Ordered and paid for on Ebay. Around $3 as I recall. The item was posted from China to my home address for free!. Just recntly wanted a Rp28 ribu very lightweight and very small tool. Found one on Tokopedia, cost of postage was Rp 36 ribu. Jakarta to Medan. JNL couriers!!! Needless to say I will do without. Matter of principle, not money. Judging by the amount of parcels I see being delivered on my complex these companies are making a decent living!!

41fvk5.jpg

A few years back, when in Australia for holidays, I needed a very small guitar part. Ordered and paid for on Ebay. Around $3 as I recall. The item was posted from China to my home address for free!. Just recntly wanted a Rp28 ribu very lightweight and very small tool. Found one on Tokopedia, cost of postage was Rp 36 ribu. Jakarta to Medan. JNL couriers!!! Needless to say I will do without. Matter of principle, not money. Judging by the amount of parcels I see being delivered on my complex these companies are making a decent living!!

Sadly a fact of life. But I guess if you didn't want it for 64 ribu then OK. Technically it could have gone by Pos Indonesia.
China gets around this by using the postal union agreements which costs the destination countries millions or even billions for delivering imported goods.

China subsidizes its international mail via UPU agreement which is why it can basically send internationally for free. JNE is a private courier service, and has a minimum charge regardless of the size/weight of item.

If you don't want to pay for local shipping, you can always look around in your local area and support a local business.

China subsidizes its international mail via UPU agreement which is why it can basically send internationally for free. JNE is a private courier service, and has a minimum charge regardless of the size/weight of item.

If you don't want to pay for local shipping, you can always look around in your local area and support a local business.
I did not know about the Chinese arrangement. That explains the zero freight cost factor. Yes, I agree that shopping locally is good, but local businesses do not always stock goods which have small turnover. Hence my online shopping! Next time I will look for POS Indonesia rates, if these online companies give them as a posting option.

I did not know about the Chinese arrangement. That explains the zero freight cost factor. Yes, I agree that shopping locally is good, but local businesses do not always stock goods which have small turnover. Hence my online shopping! Next time I will look for POS Indonesia rates, if these online companies give them as a posting option.

Also Tokopedia has a long running free shipping option (up to Rp 40k, or pay the difference) with purchases of Rp 50k or more. Only be available on the android/iOs app tho.

Next time I will look for POS Indonesia rates, if these online companies give them as a posting option.
Just ask them if they want to walk the extra mile for you and send it by Pos Indonesia.
By default I only use JNE to send my items because it's easy for me and nearby. But if somebody asks me to use a different courier, I simply activate that one temporarily. No problem.

I'm a bit confused by this. Has the world gone that far that it is too much to pay 36k for shipping something (no matter how small) from Jakarta to Medan which is almost 2000km? Even small parts need to pay for the fuel, admin, personnel involved. If we expect such items without cost or consequence then no wonder we have global warming issues and general over consumption.

As I said, its not the money. I checked with Lazada today, same product, Rp9 ribu postage. Some people are happy to pay any charged fee, I am not. I would not do it in Australia so why pay exhorbitant (for Indonesia) fees here? Everyday on my complex there are motor bike couriers absolutely overloaded with parcels, its a lucrative business now. Good luck to them, as long as the young fellas doing the deliveries are getting paid fairly.

As I said, its not the money. I checked with Lazada today, same product, Rp9 ribu postage. Some people are happy to pay any charged fee, I am not. I would not do it in Australia so why pay exhorbitant (for Indonesia) fees here? Everyday on my complex there are motor bike couriers absolutely overloaded with parcels, its a lucrative business now. Good luck to them, as long as the young fellas doing the deliveries are getting paid fairly.
Sounds like Lazada was sending via Indonesia POS. I would personally ship nothing via POS. In the past five years living where I do, I have never received a single piece of male at home. Twice we were contacted by phone to come to the POS warehouse and collect. When asked why never delivered we were told both times the delivery individual could not find our home. We live in a very well known housing complex. Easy to find and besides address, the name of the complex is listed in the address. I have been sent a number of mail that never arrived even though I know it was sent. We send ourselves a postcard from each place visited and never received a single one.

So, you want super cheap, go ahead and go with POS. Otherwise, your shipping fee was quite in order. Maybe you shoukd have added to your order to get to right under 1 kilo. Would have been the same cost. From Jakarta I pay 19, 000 for under a kilo. Doesn't matter what it is. Shipping is based on weight and distance. I am only a ferry ride away from Jakarta. I do not have to ship overnight since I get everything from JNE or J&T overnight any way. I think you paid a fair fee for shipping. You certainly can not blame the shipping companies for you ordering something cheap.

That's the way it goes. Next time research the sites for shipping you can afford. Don't blame the shipping companies. At least you received your item and I bet in a timely manor.

Maybe you should try mail order bride instead! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Couldn't resist.
Yeah yeah yeah. I was trying to save on those dredded shipping cost by getting a piece at a time. Wife kept complaining the pieces were always too small so I gave up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc