shortages in your area

I thought I was going crazy when I went to Food Hall near my area and saw at the register..two small-ish onions were about Rp 42,000. That was a couple weeks ago though...I went to another store a week later (maybe earlier this week)...three medium ones were about Rp 26,000. Not scared with the rice scarcity (being diabetic finally has its reward..), but i was surprised to see the rice racks at Superindo a couple weeks ago were empty. I would say though at least early this week...the veggies were fully stocked..no shortages. I am not sure about the chickens though...even though the guy at the counter says 'Yes it's fresh'...to me the 'meat' smell is just a bit strong...so it's a hit and miss for me. Alcohol 70% you can still get at either Century or Guardian..depending on the location. I got the small bottles for Rp 7000. But this week finally went for the big guns and got a liter of 96% alcohol through a local apotek..Rp 150,000 (no smaller bottle)..that would last me a while.

A lot of goods are delivered directly to my apartment area, prices even cheaper than in supermarkets-wholesalers started bypassing big retailers in some way.

However, the number of poor people (not to say beggars because they are not-people pushing garbage carts, poor families with kids sitting on the street) increased in the area, actually, they have never been here.

You’re beginning to see scarcity that has been here from a month ago. Considering the inefficiencies of logistics in Indonesia (due to natural and artificial reasons), it’s gonna get worse. Things won’t become available again until well after they lift the lockdown.

Remember that speculators are screwing with the supply too.

got a liter of 96% alcohol through a local apotek

70% alcohol is usually more effective against most microbes. The added water allows the alcohol to get past the cell wall. Another reason 70% may be better is when the alcohol % is higher it evaporates faster, losing its effectiveness. Don't be afraid to water that down a little to extend it.

Both my wife and daughter have needed fillings for the last month. Not willing to risk a hospital visit here in Bandung.

70% alcohol is usually more effective against most microbes. The added water allows the alcohol to get past the cell wall. Another reason 70% may be better is when the alcohol % is higher it evaporates faster, losing its effectiveness. Don't be afraid to water that down a little to extend it.
I didn't know that...I've always thought (from the news) 70% (maybe 60%?) is the minimum effective percentage for washing away bacteria/viruses...in any case...got the 96% bottle already, and usually I mix it with a bit of aloe vera and a couple dashes of eucalyptus oil (minyak kayu angin) for fragrance anyway...

Thinking of the shortages, I feel awful reading the (US) news about farmers tilling back picked vegetables into the ground and milk producers throwing away thousands of gallons of milk because they don't have the place to store it and can't find truckers to bring them to the city....horrible.

Thinking of the shortages, I feel awful reading the (US) news about farmers tilling back picked vegetables into the ground and milk producers throwing away thousands of gallons of milk because they don't have the place to store it and can't find truckers to bring them to the city....horrible.
There are truckers available, but there’s nobody paying them. The surplus is caused by closed restaurants. Normally these restaurants pay for the transportation as part of the price.

Publix supermarket is buying fresh produce and milk in Florida and donating them to food banks. It’s very kind of them, and I hope more companies follow suit.

There are truckers available, but there’s nobody paying them. The surplus is caused by closed restaurants. Normally these restaurants pay for the transportation as part of the price.

Publix supermarket is buying fresh produce and milk in Florida and donating them to food banks. It’s very kind of them, and I hope more companies follow suit.

I also read that some farmers tried to donate to food banks, but some food banks don't have big enough cold storage to accommodate the perishables...in any case, it's sad that at the same time many people could really use those wasted foods...

Ok, Just been out shopping & sugar is pretty much sold out- it was rationed to 1 kg per customer... but all the regular type of sugar stock was gone.... (3 different stores ).
I am on a bit of a home brewing binge just now so I needed it & I managed to find perfectly good alternatives that were NOT rationed nor in short supply.

I'm guessing it was payday this weekend because the places were pretty packed out .

ok my beer bacon and cheese are getting dangerously low.......... usually stock up at Setiabudi in Bandung but no trip forthcoming :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back