Shock: No working permit as spouse of Indo.Wife ?

@Pupsawarna

I am a muslim so what?
I think in matter of religion there are not problems with the parents.

I fully understand that they don't want their daughter to walk around with a non-muslim westerner there.
I mean put yourself in their position. The whole neighbourhood saw us going out, me walking into their house, saw us everywhere around her area because we ate a lot of street food. I was the only westerner there, the whole times I saw not a single other westerner there, so of course I sticked out a lot and everybody was curious who I am.

So when they saw me going to the mosque, and the parents could tell their neighbours and friends that I am a muslim it's of course easier for them.

What do you think now will be the big problem with her parents?

Last edited:
Sure, the parents would not allow her to marry a non-muslim because it would be embarrassing for them in their social circles.

That's not quite how it works in my experience. If you arrange a reception/party in their hometown, inviting all the social circles, then no-one will probably care less what religion you are, as long as you show respect to whatever their religion is.
What does not go down well is, as you say, just going off and getting married in Germany, without having some kind of local event.

There have been some horror stories about families insisting on the "unkindest cut", forced conversions etc., but I'd agree with one of the posters above (lifelongexpat) that if you are firm at the beginning you can avoid those problems.

I am a muslim so what?

You post as if you are expecting arguments about your religion. What has anyone said to give you the impression that anyone wants to do that?

Very few of our posters have any desire to criticize Islam, and in fact a plurality, if not a majority, of our posters are probably at least nominally Muslim.

Yay for you if you are a follower of Islam. To be honest, other than being ready to give you practical advice about possible implications of your religion for marrying and living in Indonesia, no one cares.

OMG ok I apologise for this statement with the western women.
I should have said: She is better IN MY OPINION than the western women I got to know so far in my life. I did not think much about this statement it was maybe just a quick reaction to those ‘she wants your money’ comments. I never meant to offend anyone, sorry again. I expressed myself wrongly there.
I can't speak for all the women here but as a western woman I wasn't offended and you have nothing to appologize for.
The context that you are an observant muslim man looking to marry a muslim lady here is actually quite important info for us. When you are comparing the average woman here to the average european woman they are certainly more religious/ pious etc (in general - there are always exceptions to rules).

Regarding the wedding - if its at their home it probably wont be a HUGE wedding but I suppose its worth sharing with you that any Indonesian wedding ive been to has had 1000s of guests. When a family here says "close friends" they have a different meaning that what you might be familiar with in Germany!

Sounds like the info from Immigrasi is saying the same as what the forum have explained so far. When we say in another thread you cant trust what immigration say its more that different immigration officails can intrepret rules differently. If you get info from them its good to document it so you can show it at a later date if someone tells you something different.
No matter how you look at it - working on a spousal kitas is a grey area - but many people here have made a success of it.

Very few of our posters have any desire to criticize Islam, and in fact a plurality, if not a majority, of our posters are probably at least nominally Muslim.

Ok I did not say it for this reason because I wanna start a religious debate. In my post before I said I didn't want to have a religious debate here. I'm not here for that.

I just stated it again because there were many post indicating that there would be a problem because of religion.

I just stated it again because there were many post indicating that there would be a problem because of religion.
That part is simple. If you and your fiancee are the same religion, and that religion is one of the 6 officially recognized by Indonesia, your shared religion will not cause bureaucratic/legal barriers to getting married in Indonesia.

I really thank you all for your answers so far and that you give me tips from your experiences.

About the wedding:
She and I, including the parents have already agreed that it's gonna be a small ceremony in her house.

About religion:
We have the same religion and there is also no problem with her family.

So I think there is no more need to talk about any of those 2 topics again

Well,
So I think there is no more need to talk about any of those 2 topics again
Great. I can't think of many things more boring than reading about another person's religion. Even trolling about religion is boring, same thing every time.

If you would like to provide a bit more information regarding the areas of your expertise and what sort of freelance work you had in mind, some of the more knowledgeable members of the forum might be able to offer some anecdotal wisdom. What are you actually thinking of doing? Teaching German? Selling schnitzel? Designing airplanes?

What are you actually thinking of doing?

Before I do anything I first need to know if I am able to legally do it there.
I have some plans but this is not the subject here now. We can talk about this privately if you want but here it's only about the legal situation.

Maybe in the future someone else has the same concern then they can read this thread and find some useful information in it.

Don’t want to sound an ass but isnt it exactly the subject?

“Shock: No working permit as spouse of Indo.Wife ?”

Maybe someone here can help you with the best routes to go navigate a successful business. If you keep everything hush-hush how can anyone help you ?

Before I do anything I first need to know if I am able to legally do it there.
I have some plans but this is not the subject here now. We can talk about this privately if you want but here it's only about the legal situation.

Maybe in the future someone else has the same concern then they can read this thread and find some useful information in it.

As some others have said, this is a gray area. By sharing what you are looking to do, a number of things could happen:

A) Someone here might have a connection so you can get a work permit from an established company. Ever heard of the 6th degree connection?

B) Maybe someone here currently does/has done what you are hoping to do and can give you advice.

C) Maybe it isn't a gray area and someone will be able to tell you so you avoid any type of trouble.

D) We play 'Guess What it is'(slight moderation of Guess Who)

E) This leads to off topic posts in which the mods have to remind everyone to stay on topic and be nice.

F) You can keep being stand offish and eventually others might say fuck it, I'm not going to bother.

G) All above

C) Maybe it isn't a gray area and someone will be able to tell you so you avoid any type of trouble.

Quoted for truth. There are some areas where foreigners aren't allowed at all, such as health care: non-Indonesians can't be doctors or nurses. There are some businesses that are able to find convoluted, limited ways around that, sort of, but it's really hard. So, for example, if you were hoping to do chiropractic work here through an informal practice, people would tell you that this wouldn't work.

Magnum3455 stated:
I did not say that I want to move there next week. One of the reasons why I came to this forum is to get more knowledge and understanding.
Of course I have to be prepared and think everything through very carefully.
Then you need to be prepared that when it comes to what rules and regulations that are in place that could concern you, they do change more often than most other places.

Why would a wedding be so expensive? We don’t marry for show and impress other people how big the wedding is.
Maybe you don't but the family will want to show it off. Rented facilities, catered food, and all those rented decorations. Families like to show off and if they are in business, the more they will want to impress others. While no one here gives a damn about what religion you are, the guys at the KUA have a knack to charge Bule husbands a large sum for the wedding procedure. One I know just shelled out 14 juta just to get married. Another cost for his conversion so he could get married. They smell you coming 5 Ks away.

While no one here gives a damn about what religion you are, the guys at the KUA have a knack to charge Bule husbands a large sum for the wedding procedure.

Ok I did not ask you to be my wedding planner.
I already said that we get married in Germany.

This thread can be closed now. Thanks for all those who gave me useful information to my question.

Last edited:
No I had connection problems. I'm still reading here and in other threads

That is good to know.

Ok I did not ask you to be my wedding planner.
I already said that we get married in Germany.
This thread can be closed now. Thanks for all those who gave me useful information to my question.

You say that now, but wait until the extended family start make noise.

Wait, you can't close this thread, you never did tell us what type of work you want to get into so we can help.

but wait until the extended family start make noise
If they want a big wedding then they have to pay it and they can invite whoever they want. Me and my fiancé don't want a big wedding. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but I'm very stingy haha.

About me giving money to them in general:
I just don't give anything. If my wife wants to send money to her family, she is free to get a job and send her own money. But from my pocket nothing will go there. I have already made that clear.

Wait, you can't close this thread, you never did tell us what type of work you want to get into so we can help

I was thinking of having a shop/online shop first. Maybe later when I'm longer in Indonesia I would have other ideas.

But for now I stay in Germany.

Last edited:
If they want a big wedding then they have to pay it and they can invite whoever they want. Me and my fiancé don't want a big wedding. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but I'm very stingy haha.

About me giving money to them in general:
I just don't give anything. If my wife wants to send money to her family, she is free to get a job and send her own money. But from my pocket nothing will go there. I have already made that clear.

Typical German. ;) :cool:

Just ask your fiance just to be on the safe side about the extended family. They might feel insulted, but maybe do a reception or something to make them happy if they get upset.

In terms of her extended family asking for money, might not happen apart from asking you to help with their business ie do your business with them instead of someone else. I would use a case by case basis here and how well you get along with them.

I was thinking of having a shop/online shop first. Maybe later when I'm longer in Indonesia I would have other ideas. But for now I stay in Germany.

I think you would be okay helping in a shop. While it is more of a gray area in some cases, it tends to be more acceptable. It just depends on what type of shop and if includes imports.

Moderation note: This post resulted in the immediate banning of the poster. We have put it behind spoiler tags, so that you may see it if you wish, but your discretion is advised. More info here.

Western woman probably avoided this bloke like the plague, if he is racist then I wouldn't be surprised.
Quickly throws a tantrum when discussing his own religion!
I think he should have a glass of water, relax and carefully consider his options.
A sex change may help his chances to stay in Indonesia, less paperwork if he is a chick. The other party, if not actually a bloke, would need to change also.
maybe Turkish and difficult to find a chick there.
snyway, good luck angry man

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back