President Joko Widodo criticized PLN for massive blackout on Sunday.

ElmiMufidah

The president questioned why PLN did not work fast while the massive blackout attacks Jakarta on Sunday, 4 august 2019. He added that the blackout also occurred in Java and Bali 17 years ago – it should have been a lesson on how to prevent a recurrence of this type of incident.

Sripeni Inten, PLN’s president director who has just served 3 days as the director said she’s sorry that the process was slow, she admit it. She then explains that they need to be extra careful during times of emergency. Everything was down, so they need to turn it back on one by one extra carefully and with caution.

The massive blackout on Sunday has damaged PLN’s reputation. It also affected millions of people in Java and Bali islands – disrupting mobile networks, cash machine, and transportation systems.

http://indonesiaexpat.biz/featured/president-jokowi-criticises-plns-response-to-mass-blackout/

I suppose PLN's reputation could always get worse, but it was so close to the bottom before Sunday, that a few more incremental ticks downward cannot mean much.

I suppose PLN's reputation could always get worse, but it was so close to the bottom before Sunday, that a few more incremental ticks downward cannot mean much.

I disagree. Everyone i talk to agrees how good PLN were before this and how there hasnt been power cuts in many years. This is for central Jakarta though so maybe outside areas have an issues.

I disagree. Everyone i talk to agrees how good PLN were before this and how there hasnt been power cuts in many years. This is for central Jakarta though so maybe outside areas have an issues.

I agree. As far as utility companies go, PLN is actually not bad, and also much improved.

Last week's power cut was a big incident, but people are also way overreacting. For most it was less than 12 hours of power lost.

Unfortunately , the lesser known parts of Indonesia suffer unreliable power voltage and blackouts currently, without general publicity, in Ntt kalimantan papua etc
Eastern Indonesia, where power grids are small, isolated, and less reliable, represents the biggest challenge to Indonesia?s ultimate goal of universal and sustainable access. In 2018, only 88% of residents in Gorontalo, 84% in Central Kalimantan, and 62% in Nusa Tenggara Timur, for example, have access to electricity, compared with more than 90% in Java and Bali.

I suppose it depends on how often your ox gets gored. We have been in town less than two months of our annual summer visit and the power has been off three times including the 10 hour Sunday loss of service. I didn't think much about the first two outages; as noted that's par for the PLN course in my experience.

If the PLN directors spent more time managing and less time stealing, perhaps the company reputation would improve. I am with Jokowi on this one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats