Opening Ceremony 2018 Asian Games

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
The opening ceremony has just concluded and IMO it was breathtaking.
All Indonesians should be very proud of the government, organizers and volunteers who made this into such a great show.
I take back my critique of Indonesian management...to choreograph such an event takes great managerial skill.
The integration of the provincial diversity of colorful dress, dance and music, and still make it relevant to the modern era, was astounding.
I believe the success of the games will put Indonesia into the forefront of ASEAN power.

Well done Indonesia.....you made me proud!

Last edited:
Totally agree. I attended the Sydney olympics opening ceremony and in my opinion last night was much better. To me it was a great artistic cultural display which obviously was planned to perfection.

I posted well done Indonesia on facebook last night and I say it again. Well done Indonesia!

Jokowi's stunt:

For those who want to see it outside of Indonesia (it doesn't seem to work in Europe etc.):

Last edited:
I didn't catch it on TV, has anyone seen a good highlight video on YouTube or a news site?

I disagree jstar...your post did give a wonderful insight to all the highlights and was a teaser for more. It did miss the march-past of all the athletes and a couple of short speeches which some may have found boring.... but it showed the color, culture and diversity of Indonesia and how that is morphing into Indonesia's capability of moving forward and into the future...if only those in power can hold against the religious fanatics that drag progress backwards.

The theme of the games is the 'Energy of Asia' and Indonesians showed plenty of that.

Jokowi's stunt:

For those who want to see it outside of Indonesia (it doesn't seem to work in Europe etc.):

Well stunt.. I mean his odd license plate (Ending with 1) wasn't allowed on the 18th so it's not like he had much choice but to take the bike... ;)

I disagree jstar...your post did give a wonderful insight to all the highlights and was a teaser for more. It did miss the march-past of all the athletes and a couple of short speeches which some may have found boring.... but it showed the color, culture and diversity of Indonesia and how that is morphing into Indonesia's capability of moving forward and into the future...if only those in power can hold against the religious fanatics that drag progress backwards.

The theme of the games is the 'Energy of Asia' and Indonesians showed plenty of that.

I kind of agree with jstar though, that particular video was cut at the wrong moments and made it kind of awkward to view. I found this one to be better:

Pretty cool video of Jokowi making his way to the opening ceremony and probably a bit of a political coup with the election on the horizon.

I'm totally okay with having a fun, youthful, playful, etc introduction, and I'm totally okay with stuntmen playing a huge part in it. However, I can't believe there's actually social media debate about whether Jokowi was under the helmet at different times. Here's a hint if you see his face, he's under the helmet, if you don't see his face, it's not him. If he was under the helmet riding into the stadium, they absolutely would have had him stop, flip up the mask, and wave to the crowd.

Blame my Queen for starting it all when she jumped out the helicopter for the 2012 London Olympics!

Talking about impressive (opening) ceremonies, this is big in the news here right now.

The 7 year old Indonesian girl Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja brought an impressive version of the national anthem at the stadium of LA Galaxy. Even Ibrahimovic was moved.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James A