my first post, gardening enthusiast from USA

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
Not to be too negative, but I’d try to live where you can buy land free and clear. I know a number of countries are able to grow Durian. So check Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc, to see if you can own land, and living permits.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
You don't have to go so far from the city to find a rural lifestyle. I'm currently living an hour outside Bandung and it is plenty rural, with the economy based almost entirely on agricultural products and only one local supermarket. Getting a lease on an acre of land is definitely doable. Getting a lease on a house would also be possible. I'm not so sure about finding the two together and (presumably) fenced.
So, if I wanted to get to the airport from here, I'd guess it would be about an hour and forty five minutes by car (Lord willing and the traffic don't rise). Doable, but I'd guess it would cost at least 200,000 each way to get someone to drive you. Nearer to the airport and almost a rural is definitely possible. I'd say maybe an hour and fifteen minutes from Bandung airport, having turned down a dirt road or two, you'd find a place that felt like the middle of nowhere.

I though duraians grew everywhere in Java that wasn't a mountain top.

centurion

Cager
If I had to move to Indonesia, and read this thread, I would give up.

Everybody is literally saying to the guy "don't do it".

Puspawarna

Cager
If I had to move to Indonesia, and read this thread, I would give up.

Everybody is literally saying to the guy "don't do it".
I don't think people are being unduly negative. The OP is getting excellent information which he and his wife will need if they are going to make the right decision, and if that decision turns out to be "move to Indonesia."

Indonesia is a wonderful country, and I think every person offering suggestions loves it. But it would be foolish to deny that for foreigners to establish a meaningful life in Indonesia is hard work and comes with certain frustrations. If the OP is discouraged from even visiting Indonesia by what he reads in this thread, he wasn't going to have a happy and successful experience in the country anyway.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Not to be too negative, but I’d try to live where you can buy land free and clear. I know a number of countries are able to grow Durian. So check Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc, to see if you can own land, and living permits.
I was going to say this too...since durian seems to be a recurring topic...Malaysia seems to be a good place (Musang King supposed to be one of the best durians and it's from Malaysia?) and Malaysia also has the MM2H program...so I assume they're more welcoming towards foreigners (at least they make it easier in theory?)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cikini
Top Bottom