KPK names Social Minister as a suspect and asks him to surrender.

dafluff

Cager
KPK names Social Minister as a suspect and asks him to surrender. He allegedly accepted bribes related to Covid-19 relief funds. He is the second government minister in the last two weeks to be indicted by KPK.

He literally received suitcases of money from vendors vying for Covid-19 relief contracts.

nhosd9fh24pkts3t2jyk.jpg

There should be a special place in hell (and in jail) for government officials enriching themselves using pandemic funds. I am also surprised that apparently KPK still has teeth.

Graduated from U.S. colleges, but doesn’t know any better. Another PDI-P corrupt politician. Screw him.

Reportedly he asked for Rp 10,000 for each Rp 300,000 social assistance packages. These packages go literally to the poorest people, and he still took money from them to the tune of Rp 17 billion. Bravo.

Is there follow up on the people who paid bribes to get contracts? It would seem obvious that these contractors are also corrupt and paid the bribes so they too could put their snouts in the trough. Will KPK just be content to get the big fish or will the whole program be thoroughly investigated?

Is there follow up on the people who paid bribes to get contracts? It would seem obvious that these contractors are also corrupt and paid the bribes so they too could put their snouts in the trough. Will KPK just be content to get the big fish or will the whole program be thoroughly investigated?

They will get the specific company/people that are related specifically to this case, but usually not more. The reason being is that KPK is very limited financially and staff wise, and investigation costs money and time.

So most corruption cases uncovered are similar to this one: sting based operations catching people red-handed. It's the most cost effective way to catch and charge people, but it is not effective at rooting out systemic corruption.

According to an ABC (Aus) news report, Batubara has taken $1.1 million in bribes. Here's a link to the full story:

Of course there may have been patriotic aspirations for him to drive the economy and he had in mind a Lamborghini and a new villa as a means of stimulating the private sector. Perhaps he saw it as initiative to help things along. The wealthy need psychological support too during these times.

Is it me or Jokowi's second term have more problematic ministers/government in general than the first term? (like replacing Susi with yet another corrupted Gerindra peon?)

It gets tiresome in Africa , south america and of course asia ,the amount of corruption that goes on ,it must be genetic thing .

Who does one trust in these countries I wonder , it is like a cancer in the highest levels of society

very sad !

The way things work in Indonesia, he doesn’t pocket the entire $1.1million. He is expected to pay a big chunk of that money to his superior as a tribute. In return the big cheese ensures that he gets appointed to ‘wet’ positions and he’s protected from harsh sentences. As long as he keeps his mouth shut, he’ll get an easy life in Sukamiskin for the next several years.

The other grifters in Bandung are lucky, now they have somebody who can teach them English on a daily basis.

It gets tiresome in Africa , south america and of course asia ,the amount of corruption that goes on ,it must be genetic thing .

Who does one trust in these countries I wonder , it is like a cancer in the highest levels of society

very sad !
The development of a corrupt society is hardly genetic. Cultural perhaps. One could spend the next ten years amassing lists of corrupt criminal cases in developed countries. My favourite example was when Blair was Prime Minister in the UK and it came to light that many millions of dollars in bribes were involved in securing an arms deal with Saudi Arabia. There was a clamour for a national enquiry. Blair declared it was "not in the national interest." End of story.

Another celebrated case was that of the Australian Wheat board which paid A$300m (£125m) in kickbacks to Saddam's government between 1997 and 2003. As for the enquiry that developed into this the International Journal of Business and Commerce stated in 2013 "white-collar crime costs the Australian Government upwards of $8.5 billion per year; which accounts for around 40% of the total cost of crime. In America every year, 6% of business revenues are lost to occupational white-collar crime and, on a global scale, the World Bank estimates more than $1 trillion in bribes are paid out of a $30 trillion world economy

The development of a corrupt society is hardly genetic. Cultural perhaps. One could spend the next ten years amassing lists of corrupt criminal cases in developed countries. My favourite example was when Blair was Prime Minister in the UK and it came to light that many millions of dollars in bribes were involved in securing an arms deal with Saudi Arabia. There was a clamour for a national enquiry. Blair declared it was "not in the national interest." End of story.

Another celebrated case was that of the Australian Wheat board which paid A$300m (£125m) in kickbacks to Saddam's government between 1997 and 2003. As for the enquiry that developed into this the International Journal of Business and Commerce stated in 2013 "white-collar crime costs the Australian Government upwards of $8.5 billion per year; which accounts for around 40% of the total cost of crime. In America every year, 6% of business revenues are lost to occupational white-collar crime and, on a global scale, the World Bank estimates more than $1 trillion in bribes are paid out of a $30 trillion world economy
Genetic was "tongue in cheek" ,I dont know why , but it is boring when you dont know who to trust .
It is also very dangerous in healthcare for example, when some of the "so called" medical professionals whom swear the "Hippocratic oath" , are more interested in their pocket than your health .

There should be a special place in hell (and in jail) for government officials enriching themselves using pandemic funds.

With their backs againts a wall on Nusa Kambangan sounds reasonable to me.

After seeing this video about Putin's luxury palaces (you have to switch on subtitles), made by the guy he just tried to kill by poisoning, I can only conclude Indonesians are amateurs when it comes to corruption.

After seeing this video about Putin's luxury palaces (you have to switch on subtitles), made by the guy he just tried to kill by poisoning, I can only conclude Indonesians are amateurs when it comes to corruption.
It is widely suspected that Putin is the wealthiest person in the world, far ahead of the US tech titans that top the usual lists, but his true wealth is impossible to access as most is carefully obfuscated.

Impressed by Putin's place. Is it possible to make a booking through Airbnb?
I found it a bit more Trumpish taste than mine.
What did it for you? The hookah bar with the pole-dancing stage? :D

I was touched at the extensive support for extended family as shown by Putin and one always appreciates accommodation reviews that say, "They treated us like family." So clearly if I can secure a booking then it would seem to offer a warm, friendly family like atmosphere. Unfortunately I can't find a price listing and I usually look for something up to maybe $30 a night tops. If possible a non smoking room with a sea view. (I wonder if that might include breakfast.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudcat
Back