Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine

MilliVanilli

We're currently getting all of our shots for the move soon and this one is like 450 dollars a shot for a two-shot program, which is an insane amount of money to spend for 3 people on top of the other shots we are being recommended, which are each like 100 dollars or more.

What shots did some of you get and what shots are super necessary for Jakarta and what are some of the shots available in Jakarta? I was reading the JE shot is available at one clinic in the south, but I cant confirm it.

So far we have been recommended
Hep B
Yellow Fever
JE
Typhoid
Tetanus

I've had yellow fever vaccine for a trip to Africa a long time ago, but nothing specific for Indonesia (there is zero yellow fever in Indonesia, not sure why that is recommended). I don't think any of the diseases you mention are prevalent in the main cities (except Typhoid if you like eating street food) - I've never heard of anyone getting them. The things you might catch as an expat in Jakarta are Dengue (no vaccine available). And Covid if we're still counting that. Maybe monkey pox will be added to the list soon!

Last edited:
I've had yellow fever vaccine for a trip to Africa a long time ago, but nothing specific for Indonesia (there is zero yellow fever in Indonesia, not sure why that is recommended). I don't think any of the diseases you mention are prevalent in the main cities (except Typhoid if you like eating street food) - I've never heard of anyone getting them. The things you might catch as an expat in Jakarta are Dengue (no vaccine available). And Covid if we're still counting that. Maybe monkey pox will be added to the list soon!
Thanks for replying and giving me that information! It's so hard to sort out what is necessary when moving to a city and what is more necessary for rural living.

I didn't get any shots either for the first time I visited or since I lived here and never have I ever been asked to (for example applying kitas etc) not even HIV (which you have to in Dubai for residence visa there)
I do remember back in 1990 when I flew to KL from London I had to get yellow fever shot which was free and you got a little yellow paper booklet saying you were stamped

We're currently getting all of our shots for the move soon and this one is like 450 dollars a shot for a two-shot program, which is an insane amount of money to spend for 3 people on top of the other shots we are being recommended, which are each like 100 dollars or more.

What shots did some of you get and what shots are super necessary for Jakarta and what are some of the shots available in Jakarta? I was reading the JE shot is available at one clinic in the south, but I cant confirm it.

Hep B
Yellow Fever
JE
Typhoid
Tetanus
Full series of Hep A and B for lifelong protection
Yellow Fever not needed
JE not needed
Typhoid definately, injection 3 years, pills 4 years
Tetanus a given anywhere. Last at least 10 years.

If you were to live in a more rual area you may want to research what is happening in that area.

Japanese Encephalitis is sometimes present in Bali (especially near rice fields). Government has a vaccination program for JE in Bali, and you can get vaccinated in Jakarta as well. If you are staying in Jakarta, probably don't need it.

Hep B
Yellow Fever
JE
Typhoid
Tetanus

The Indonesian Pediatric Society recommends all of those, except for Yellow Fever. You can refer to our article here: https://www.expatindo.org/vaccination-for-children-in-indonesia/

As for prices, based on a quick google search, JE vaccination start from about US$45 here (per dose), and all the other ones are significantly cheaper.

If it's chargable I bet they recommend everything.
Even the one for masuk angin

That's the small red one that taste sweet with M&M on it. Masuk and Merdeka. $10 a pill

Hep B
Yellow Fever
JE
Typhoid
Tetanus
I didn't get any shots when I moved here but I had had various travel vaccinations down the years so if you never had any of these you prob should get some of them (tetanus/ typhoid defo). I had a bunch of shots a few years ago while I was home for xmas to top up.
You can get shots here - this is the clinic I use: https://goodpractice.co.id/
You could check prices because some things will probably be cheaper here - but other things will be cheaper where you are (depending on what different governments have subsidized I suppose).
I would say that almost no one has the JE shots - I haven't and I don't know anyone who had that one.

I didn't get any shots either for the first time I visited or since I lived here and never have I ever been asked to (for example applying kitas etc) not even HIV (which you have to in Dubai for residence visa there)
I do remember back in 1990 when I flew to KL from London I had to get yellow fever shot which was free and you got a little yellow paper booklet saying you were stamped

So when you went for your last kitas extention they didnt ask for your 3x vaccination proof ?

I read on the immigration website that you need to show your proof of vaccination so this is a bit strange .

Nope never. In fact my 20/21 extension all I had to do was give a negative test result the cheap fast one and sign a letter saying if I got corona I would pay for my own treatment.
For all my kitas extensions I've never been asked to provide proof of vaccination at all
Not even to walk into the office

I think even b211 you don't have to either?

Nothing is required even they will not check your covid vaccination certificate also.

Even if you are applying for KITAP then also they don't require it.

No shots when I first came for a holiday 16 years ago , lived here for nearly 6 years now and never been asked or told I needed any shots not even the covid shots for any Kitas renewals or when I converted to Kitap late last year , 2021. Never been asked at any Government offices , police stations , local health clinics etc . And I live in a filthy fishing village .

Funnily enough I got my booster Pfizer today. I just randomly asked the building manager if she knew where the Puskemas was for us and sent me a w/a pic saying ITC Kuning 3-7 Aug 10a.m to 1p.m did boosters for any vaccine. Talk about good timing. Turned up at 10.30 today. Deserted. 50 empty chairs and 4 people sitting at tables. One for paperwork. One for blood pressure. One for the computer. One for the jab. They askes what I wanted. I said I will stick with Pfizer. In and out in less than 5 mins! Took me longer to write my name.
30mins later and the certificate already showing up on PL.
Downloaded it sent to my buddy who will make it into a laminated credit card with my passport copy the other side and voila. My new mall vip entry card. Lol
But seems malls etc so relaxed these days about masks, temperature, scan entry, showing certs etc.
But at least I got it anyway. No side effects.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Catur88
Back