Indonesian born children speaking exclusively English

Wisnu

Charter Member
all of us born in Indonesia, we speak multi-languages (sequence by level of fluency)
me : Indonesian, Javanese (Ngoko and Madya), English (same level as pak Jokowi)
wife : Indonesia, English, Arabic, Russian, Javanese (ngoko)
Daughter 1 : English, Indonesian, Germany
Daughter 2 : English, Indonesian, French, Russian

J_Gav

That's quite the portfolio. If you don't mind me asking, what was the rationale for picking Arabic, German, French and Russian?

Wisnu

Charter Member
That's quite the portfolio. If you don't mind me asking, what was the rationale for picking Arabic, German, French and Russian?
We left Indonesia more than 16 years ago. Live in Kazakhstan for 4 years. On first years in KZ, daughter 1 moved to UK to continue her education. She works in London now and her boyfriend was Germany.

Daughter 2 stayed with us for 3 years in Kazakhstan. Although she was in International school but with her mum she did lot of travelling and interaction with local there. Not many people in Kazakh speak English, so they were forced (actually they enjoyed it too) to lean Russian to survive.
Me - I'm too lazy and most of the people in my office speak English. So, I can survive without Russian.
Daughter 2, then moved to France to ISP Tennis academy (now Mouratoglu Tennis Academy) in France. Many students were Russian speakers so she can still continue speaking Russian. Now, She is student athlete in US and still able to practice her Russian since there are other Russian speaking student in the team.

After Kazakh, we lived in Egypt for 6 years. Wife love to bargain and she is good Muslim too - so this give her strong motivation to learn arabic.
Me - again too lazy.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Currently we live in Nigeria; and I notice she start speaking Pidgin with our maid and gardener.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
67nature17
Top Bottom