GoCar / Grab from Bali Airport to a hotel in Legian?

nd_eric_77

Charter Member
Cager
Does DPS airport have a specific pickup location for online taxis (not ojeks; we are a family of four)? Or does the taxi mafia still have a stranglehold on rides from the airport?

I think not for unofficial, only for hotel.
And for a family going on holiday it is not worth the hassle, book the hotel transport let them meet you directly at the exit gate past customs and take you directly to their big comfy van and let them man handle your rimowa and tumi and know exactly where to go, how to get there, and have water cold towels etc
For the sake of $10 it isn't worth pissing about

I know it's not what you are asking here but I had so many bad experiences with Bali taxi mafia that the last few times I've been I actually booked my taxi via booking.com and all the drivers I met that way were lovely (waiting for me at exit with a sign - texted me to confirm they were there waiting etc.) - it has a standard price in the app so no need to haggle and it seemed a good price to me. The ease and benefits of grab without any taxi mafia issues cos you are in a bali taxi in the end.

Thank you both for your quick replies. It has been a few years since my family and I last traveled to Bali, so we are looking forward to the trip.
I think not for unofficial, only for hotel.
And for a family going on holiday it is not worth the hassle, book the hotel transport let them meet you directly at the exit gate past customs and take you directly to their big comfy van and let them man handle your rimowa and tumi and know exactly where to go, how to get there, and have water cold towels etc
For the sake of $10 it isn't worth pissing about
Fwiw, there is no immigration / customs, as we are coming from Jakarta. Rimowa and Tumi, LOL - try knockoff Samsonite from Mangga Dua :cool:
I know it's not what you are asking here but I had so many bad experiences with Bali taxi mafia that the last few times I've been I actually booked my taxi via booking.com and all the drivers I met that way were lovely (waiting for me at exit with a sign - texted me to confirm they were there waiting etc.) - it has a standard price in the app so no need to haggle and it seemed a good price to me. The ease and benefits of grab without any taxi mafia issues cos you are in a bali taxi in the end.
I am going to do this way for sure. Does booking.com have in-app payment options, or is it cash to the driver?

I might be replying late but maybe this info will be useful for others visiting Bali.
When at Bali airport, I use the taxi service offered inside the airport. I avoid the the taxi mafia outside. The airport taxi service is fast with reasonable rates not much different from app fares and you get a receipt with driver contact details.

Traveloka also has airport pickups for a set fare. I didn’t try it, but my airline bookings with them was not problematic.

I have found the fares at the airport taxi counter to be ridiculously expensive (only done it once or twice), knowing full well how long the drive will take, as one who has been driving myself here in Bali for more than 25 years.
As a "Bule Aga", longtime resident, historically speaking, as I haven't done it in a couple years...
after clearing customs and all, if you don't enjoy the street theater interaction with the Taxi Mafia,
which I kind of enjoy, because my bahasa is very good?
Another way to go, which is quite a bit less offensive (in terms of price offered, or paid?), is to go upstairs to the Departure terminal, and wait at the curb for a minute or two.
Approach a driver who is dropping off departing passengers.
Suggest a reasonable fare, or that it be charged by the metered price.
The driver has nothing to lose, and plenty to gain, by neither waiting in a long queue to
snag a new fare, nor dead-heading it out of the airport to go back to prowling the streets for a new fare. WIN-WIN symbiotic problem solving.
WHOOPS, I just reread the thread, and I was referencing International Terminal Arrivals, but I suspect
that the same symbiosis applies at the Domestic Terminal. :unsure:

Last edited:
International old and new is different new. Proper queues for bluebird, silverbird etc
Depending on time and queue usually BB is quiet
Otherwise swallow your pride and spoil yourself the extra $10 more and get a silver bird. Much nicer
I mean we are literally talking about $10-$20 max more for a new Merc with a/c etc
Most cities you can't even get out the carpark for $10

True enough. I once got a driver at Changi, but from the regular taxi desk, in a Mercedes.
He was incredible, blew me away. I felt like I was being driven by The Dalai Lama. Of course, by comparison, in a city as expensive and affluent as Singapore, transportation costs on the whole are quite reasonable. Despite annual private vehicle Road Tax being in the 50 juta ballpark.
So, being in a poor country like Indonesia, and understanding the realities of the local economy,
and that the cab ride should only take 10 minutes, I am not real receptive to what I think of as "Japanese pricing"...since for the most part Japanese visitors don't tend to negotiate, they are either on the bus, or not, and walk away.

Last edited:
Emirates F and J get the free limo which has a limit radius 100km
Imagine 100km in a London black cab!! 2nd mortgage time Guvnor

There is a Grabcar pickup point after exiting the arrival gate just follow the indication for Public Bus/Taxi Pickup. Tho it's expensive, my hotel was just in 800 meters and charge was 1,24,000 Rupiah while i asked my hotel for dropping they charged me 50,000 Rupiah.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819