enquiry on legal marriage

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
If you guys decide to get your marriage recognized by your government (using whatever sort of paperwork requirements your country imposes upon its citizenry), then you will need to look into registering it with the Indonesian government.

The only way I can think of for your valid-to-you-but-not-recognized-by-the-government marriage to be a problem on your trip is if you guys decide to stay in a really dodgy hotel on the way to the airport. I've heard stories of people being "raided" by vigilanties/extortionists at particularly bad hotels. You could probably show a wedding pic to them though?

cheeseball1

If you guys decide to get your marriage recognized by your government (using whatever sort of paperwork requirements your country imposes upon its citizenry), then you will need to look into registering it with the Indonesian government.

The only way I can think of for your valid-to-you-but-not-recognized-by-the-government marriage to be a problem on your trip is if you guys decide to stay in a really dodgy hotel on the way to the airport. I've heard stories of people being "raided" by vigilanties/extortionists at particularly bad hotels. You could probably show a wedding pic to them though?
thanks for the info

and no dont need hotel gladly

snpark

Cager
You're not married. So nothing to worry about. Are your tickets booked as a joint ticket? Together?

Where are you going. And when and how do you plan to return. You came here as a tourist? When? How?
What visa do you have when you come back?

Since you are not legally married you can't come back on a wife sponsored kitas/ kitas

Stop saying you're married. You're not.

I can call you a billionaire but it doesn't make you one!

harryopal

Charter Member
now im looking to go abroad with her but want to know the consequences of not doing a legal marriagr
When you say "looking to go abroad"... to where? You are more likely to have problems with Visas if it were going to say USA or Australia if you are not married and she is not employed with a letter from employer showing when she will return. Or does she have residential status in wherever it is you have been living?

It is all a bit vague. On the one hand you sound like you are getting on a plane tomorrow so there is no time to arrange a civil marriage and on the other hand "looking to go abroad" which implies no definite arrangements. Perhaps your "wife's" anxiety is based on a feeling that you are trying to dodge making a formal marriage. A terrible time to travel anywhere with new clusters, lockdowns and quarantine requirements popping up everywhere. Good luck with it all.

Pak Asam Manis

Charter Member
Cager
You're not married. So nothing to worry about. Are your tickets booked as a joint ticket? Together?

Where are you going. And when and how do you plan to return. You came here as a tourist? When? How?
What visa do you have when you come back?

Since you are not legally married you can't come back on a wife sponsored kitas/ kitas

Stop saying you're married. You're not.

I can call you a billionaire but it doesn't make you one!
La-serie-Columbo-fete-ses-50-ans.jpg

Helpful Herbert

thanks for the info

and no dont need hotel gladly
Either you are married, or you're not married. And in your case you are not married. I don't see why a passport officer would care though. You could tell him you have 4 wives if you want, for all the difference it would make.

Puspawarna

Cager
Okay everyone, no need to badger the new guy! Yes, the situation as described in the first post is incomplete, but if you read the whole thread there's a pretty obvious story that fits with the known facts. Cheeseball1 himself can confirm if it is correct. (By the way - Welcome to the forum, cheesball1 !)

Let me take a guess:

Cheeseball1 is from another majority Muslim country. He sought a relationship over the internet, and connected with an Indonesian woman who seemed like a good match. He visited Indonesia, everyone got along, and he and his bride completed the religious but not legally recognized Islamic ceremony (nikah siri). All is good at the moment.

Now they want to travel together - perhaps back to Cheeseball1's home country, perhaps on a honeymoon - but the "wife," perhaps pressured by her family, perhaps of her own volition, is realizing that their union has no legal force.

So if she gets pregnant, has an accident while traveling abroad, splits from her "husband," whatever -- she will have zero legal claim on his assistance, financial or otherwise. (Well, a paternity test could establish fatherhood, I guess, but first she'd have to get him to submit to a DNA test and that might be hard.)

If I were 20 years old and I'd just formed a union with a man from another country, especially if I genuinely cared about him and wanted the relationship to last, then sure, I'd be very interested in seeing that the relationship was made legal.

So now the "wife" needs to convince the "husband" to make the marriage legal. He says that he doesn't have time right now. Uh oh, how to convince him? Why not suggest that the marriage needs to be legal or they might have problems traveling together?

This is not necessarily as cynical or self-serving as it may sound. If she is not from a well traveled family, she may believe it. And there could well be a grain of truth to it, if they are planning to reside in Indonesia when the travel ends. The "husband" is going to have a tough time returning and establishing residency, especially with the pandemic. Having a legal marriage to an Indonesian might help; certainly that's what people would assume.

Besides, there was a time when Indonesian women could not travel out of the country unless their father, brother, or husband gave them permission! I don't think that's the case now, but I remember my office manager in the 1990s being very bitter because she had a chance to travel abroad and could not take it because her husband wouldn't give her a permission letter.

So, Cheeseball1, how close am I to correctly guessing your story?

snpark

Cager
No need to badger the new guy says the Mod.

Who then proceeds with a 9 paragraph diatribe about internet dating, pregnancy, illegal arranged marriage and so on.

Really? Come on. None of us did anything like that or cast any assumptions.

We asked for clarification and said that he is not legally married despite what he thought.

Bit rich to bollock us then post what you did right after!!

IndoTom

I am a non indonesian citizen and am married to an indonesian citizen. We havent done legal marriage in indonesia just a normal, formal islamic marriage.

If we leave the country as a couple will there be any issues at the airport for not having done a legal marriage. At the airport or any place else and is there any punishment for not doing a legal marriage in indonesian law?

Thank you
To answer the original question. I believe there will not be a problem leaving Indonesia but a problem could occur at some arrival destinations. The short explainantion is eventually you will need the register the marriage legally in a country for immigration, legal, and social reasons. The method and documentation required to register a marriage is different in every country and region. My recommendation is to choose the best and easiest place to register. Indonesia is not too difficult to get registered. So my recommendation is to do it here.

El_Goretto

Cager
Until recently, women in Saudi Arabia were not allowed to travel without a male chaperone so if the OP comes from a country with similar rules, then it is understandable that he may ask if such restriction exists here.

Answer: no, there are no restrictions, she can travel abroad as much as she wants as long as she has the required visa and follows whatever rules the destination country has in regards to the pandemic.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Now they want to travel together - perhaps back to Cheeseball1's home country, perhaps on a honeymoon - but the "wife," perhaps pressured by her family, perhaps of her own volition, is realizing that their union has no legal force.

So if she gets pregnant, has an accident while traveling abroad, splits from her "husband," whatever -- she will have zero legal claim on his assistance, financial or otherwise. (Well, a paternity test could establish fatherhood, I guess, but first she'd have to get him to submit to a DNA test and that might be hard.)

If I were 20 years old and I'd just formed a union with a man from another country, especially if I genuinely cared about him and wanted the relationship to last, then sure, I'd be very interested in seeing that the relationship was made legal.

So now the "wife" needs to convince the "husband" to make the marriage legal. He says that he doesn't have time right now. Uh oh, how to convince him? Why not suggest that the marriage needs to be legal or they might have problems traveling together?

This is not necessarily as cynical or self-serving as it may sound. If she is not from a well traveled family, she may believe it. And there could well be a grain of truth to it

Myself and others focused strictly legal side of the question asked, and by implication took the "side" of the poster. The possible story you present does ring true as being a real possibility. I hope this wife's wishes are respected and @cheeseball1 will marry her legally before departure, or at the very least promptly upon arrival in his home country. She should also insist on keeping possession of her own passport if she has any amount of concern.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
As long as she has a valid passport and a valid visa for her destination, Indonesian immigration is not gonna care whether or not you two are married.

/thread

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aji
Top Bottom