Building Material

Anfooshi

Anyone have a clue on building material stores? Something like a Lowes or Home Depot. I am looking for a supplier to builders not just consumers. Near Tangerang selatan.

Last edited:
Most areas have a "toko besi" or a "material" shop where the local builders buy their stuff
There are also Home Depot stores.
But if we don't know your location it isn't as easy to help you. :)

Buying building materials is like "pulling teeth". Mitra 10 in Bintaro and Polim have a good selection of building materials. The Mitra 10 store Bintaro is big and have a good selection of DIY building materials such as power tools, hand tools, paint and accessories, lighting, gardening, sanitary ware, tiles, mortar, roofing materials, gypsum board/drywall, furniture, etc.

Due to the coronavirus, I have been buying small building materials online, such as stainless steel screws, foam spray, paint, sealant, power tools, etc.

I have rebuilt my wooden door frames (termites infested), leaky roof, painting the garage and patio, etc.

If you are looking for suppliers for builders, contact them for appointment. They will be glad to visit you and give you brochures and samples. Another good way of contact them before the coronavirus was to visit the building trade and architectural trade shows in Jakarta.

Specially, what building materials are you shopping for? Let us know, maybe we can help.

Buying building materials is like "pulling teeth". Mitra 10 in Bintaro and Polim have a good selection of building materials. The Mitra 10 store Bintaro is big and have a good selection of DIY building materials such as power tools, hand tools, paint and accessories, lighting, gardening, sanitary ware, tiles, mortar, roofing materials, gypsum board/drywall, furniture, etc.

Due to the coronavirus, I have been buying small building materials online, such as stainless steel screws, foam spray, paint, sealant, power tools, etc.

I have rebuilt my wooden door frames (termites infested), leaky roof, painting the garage and patio, etc.

If you are looking for suppliers for builders, contact them for appointment. They will be glad to visit you and give you brochures and samples. Another good way of contact them before the coronavirus was to visit the building trade and architectural trade shows in Jakarta.

Specially, what building materials are you shopping for? Let us know, maybe we can help.
At this point, I am only in the discovery phase of a potential new Home project. I want to explore what new materials are available to termite proof a foundation, seal gaps, insulate, and waterproof all aspects of the home, including the roof. The type of windows available are very important to me, as I would prefer sliding double pain with mesh screens.

Since wood is not used here for framing a home, I am researching different options. I would love to see how homes are constructed here, so if there are any videos of local developers please forward them my way.

Another option I am considering is to concentrate on sealed basement foundation then add a prefabricated home on top. The goal is to completely seal a home from the exterior environment including the ground, wind, water, and critters.

There was a mall in Glodok that was full of individual building material suppliers. I can't remember the name, but it was on Hayam Wuruk. Huge supply from electrical, plumbing, windows, doors and raw material to order.

One advice is to use light steel frame for your roofing. Light steel or galvanized C-channel steel is termite proof and believe or not, a lot cheaper than wood in Indonesia. Another advice for door frames and doors to use termite proof wood such as teak or other termite resistance local wood. To seal gaps, use foam spray. For window frames, use composite engineer window frame. Most importantly, water run-off and seismic the foundation and structural since Indonesia is on the ring of fire earthquakes).

I suggest visit Youtube and look for installation in Indonesia construction to get a better idea how and different construction materials used and techniques.

One advice is to use light steel frame for your roofing. Light steel or galvanized C-channel steel is termite proof and believe or not, a lot cheaper than wood in Indonesia. Another advice for door frames and doors to use termite proof wood such as teak or other termite resistance local wood. To seal gaps, use foam spray. For window frames, use composite engineer window frame. Most importantly, water run-off and seismic the foundation and structural since Indonesia is on the ring of fire earthquakes).

I very much agree with the steel trusses. They have become very popular over the last years, for a reason. Teak wood is nice for doors and window fames, however the younger wood is still prone to termites and other pests. The older, darker wood can be quite expensive. If you plan to use woodstain, to bring out the texture of the wood it's nice and worth the cost. But if you plan to cover your doors and window frames with a thick layer of paint anyway, you might as well use a cheaper option like mahogany or a local wood that resists termites like kamelina (gmelina).
Aluminium door and window frames can also be an option. If the location at the building is unprotected from hot sun and rain (or difficult to reach like angin-angin), aluminium frames need little to no maintenance.
If you're building from scratch, it's a good idea to try to make your house more earthquake-resistant. Using confined masonry and other types of construction is already very common here, but there are many more things to pay attention to. Here is a link from the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, a pdf with lots of practical information, easy to understand.

Hi Pak Tani, Excellent article about building a house in seismic prone area.

Anfoshshi, If you are really want to learn about building materials, visit trade show called, Megabuild Indonesia. Unfortunately, due to the current situation they will not have exhibition this year and planning for 2022.

Hi Pak Tani, Excellent article about building a house in seismic prone area.

Anfoshshi, If you are really want to learn about building materials, visit trade show called, Megabuild Indonesia. Unfortunately, due to the current situation they will not have exhibition this year and planning for 2022.

We're in the middle of building a new house. Before we started, I did a bit of reading on how to make buildings earthquake-resistent and I talked about the matter with the architect. Together we decided what to implement and what not. Many ways of strengthening your building have a trade off and some are aesthetically undesirable. Some can be costly too. The missus thinks it's unnecessary and a waste of money. We had a RS6.7 earthquake a couple of days ago not far away from where we live now. So I think it's a good thing to invest in.
What are you going to build, Anfooshi?

Does anyone know if CMU/concrete/cinder/breeze/besser blocks are sold here? I feel like I've seen them for sale at places like Depok Bangunan or in use in shopping malls, but that may just be my expectations playing tricks on my memory.

If so, what are they called?

Does anyone know if CMU/concrete/cinder/breeze/besser blocks are sold here? I feel like I've seen them for sale at places like Depok Bangunan or in use in shopping malls, but that may just be my expectations playing tricks on my memory.

If so, what are they called?
They're called batako here and the breeze blocks are angin-angin beton. They come in a range of grades, depending on the amount of semen they are willing to use and the quality of the sand. Maybe in larger shops they sell a standard quality. Unlike your local batako dealer in the desa.

They're called batako here and the breeze blocks are angin-angin beton. They come in a range of grades, depending on the amount of semen they are willing to use and the quality of the sand. Maybe in larger shops they sell a standard quality. Unlike your local batako dealer in the desa.
I've used batako before. The quality and dive really do vary. The ones I've purchased are a bit larger than your standard red brick ( and smarter than you think).

I'm looking for breeze block because I'm thinking about trying to assemble a smoker from it and I need that huge size so I can avoid using mortar. Angin-angin beton, I'll ask at the shop. Thanks.

1618456981841.png

Well, if u ever need a full service of interior design and builder too you can contact me, we provides free design consulation and budgeting (super transparent)
Our ig : @sections.id
Our whatsapp : 08179777889
Anyone have a clue on building material stores? Something like a Lowes or Home Depot. I am looking for a supplier to builders not just consumers. Near Tangerang selatan.

Anyone have a clue on building material stores? Something like a Lowes or Home Depot. I am looking for a supplier to builders not just consumers. Near Tangerang selatan

Attachments

• Screenshot (366) - Copy.jpg
    Screenshot (366) - Copy.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 152
Another large DIY hardware store in Indonesia is Depobanguan. The website is below:

Unfortunately, limited specifications on building materials. There is one in Sepong.

I've used batako before. The quality and dive really do vary. The ones I've purchased are a bit larger than your standard red brick ( and smarter than you think).

I'm looking for breeze block because I'm thinking about trying to assemble a smoker from it and I need that huge size so I can avoid using mortar. Angin-angin beton, I'll ask at the shop. Thanks.

View attachment 1782
Our local materials shop sells these according to my hubby.
So you know where to look as you know where we live :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back