BPJS Refund

Gzpereira

Hi all,

I am leaving Indonesia soon after over 1 year here.

From my payslips I get deducted amount for:
  • BPJS (JKK,JKM)
  • BPJS (JHT)
Does anyone know which of these and can claim back from them when I close my account and get ready to leave?

Thank you

G

Pretty sure you can't since it would be like asking for your insurance premiums back just because you didn't claim

Besides that it is not a huge amount as you can see from your payslips? A few hundred thousand rupiah a month I believe

What do you mean by "close your account"

BPJS is health care - you pay every month a small amount to cover for the free / subsidised treatment should you need it - you can't ask for the money back just because you didn't get sick

Actually, there are 4 types of BPJS contributions.
3 of them are mandatory for expats residing in Indonesia for over 6 months.

The 4 categories are as follows:
JHT - Old Age Pension
JP (not mandatory for expats)
JKM
JKK

Only JKM and JKK are health and death insurance related.

I know for a fact that 100% of the JHT amount contributed (2% by the employee and 3.7% by company) can be withdrawn when leaving the country.

However, I was wondering about the other 2 JKM and JKK. By your logic, I am inclined to think that it cannot be taken.

You can't get anything back from the BPJS Kesehatan.

I'm not sure about BPJS Ketenagakerjaan, but back when it was called Jamsostek, you could request the amounts accrued if your employer writes a letter stating that you are terminated with them.

I know for a fact that 100% of the JHT amount contributed (2% by the employee and 3.7% by company) can be withdrawn when leaving the country.

It’s not only when leaving the country, and not only for expats.

I'm not sure about BPJS Ketenagakerjaan, but back when it was called Jamsostek, you could request the amounts accrued if your employer writes a letter stating that you are terminated with them.

Still like that. When my wife quit her job, she just had to pay the BPJS office a visit for a refund. Took almost a day.

You can get your JHT back. I am trying to figure our the procedure at the moment. Some say you need to show EPO to get it, but I am not quite sure if that is true.

You can get it back... but, the process its about 4-6 weeks long, and they need your passport, plus a bunch of other supporting documents for that period.

For me, it wasn't worth it.

I was told it could be done in one day... I will update when I have confirmation from BPJS. I do belive that you cannot close down your Indonesian bank account before, as BPJS will transfer the amount to an Indonesian bank account

The best thing would be to go BPJS Ketenagakerjaan and ask. Kesehatan is non-refundable.

Hi all,

I am leaving Indonesia soon after over 1 year here.

From my payslips I get deducted amount for:
  • BPJS (JKK,JKM)
  • BPJS (JHT)
Does anyone know which of these and can claim back from them when I close my account and get ready to leave?

Thank you

G

BPJS is intended for poor people without the ability to afford life saving or changing medical care.
Given the premiums are tiny, just forget them and call it an act of charity.

BPJS is intended for poor people without the ability to afford life saving or changing medical care.
Given the premiums are tiny, just forget them and call it an act of charity.

The healthcare part perhaps yes, but why would you not claim your "old age" plan (pension plan is capped at 3% (2% employer/1% employee) of 7jt, so you should be able to get 2.5jt back, let's call that charity then), but the old age plan is 3.7 employer and 2% employee, let's say an expat has a basic salary of 100jt a month then you're talking about 68jt a year that gets paid for by the company & deducted from your salary that you would be able to claim back, work 5 years and its 342jt or 25.000 USD. That's an act of charity to you?

Last edited:
The healthcare part perhaps yes, but why would you not claim your "old age" plan (pension plan is capped at 3% (2% employer/1% employee) of 7jt, so you should be able to get 2.5jt back, let's call that charity then), but the old age plan is 3.7 employer and 2% employee, let's say an expat has a basic salary of 100jt a month then you're talking about 68jt a year that gets paid for by the company & deducted from your salary that you would be able to claim back, work 5 years and its 342jt or 25.000 USD. That's an act of charity to you?

Fred quoted the OP who said he'd only been paying into BPJS for one year and his contribution therefore would be very little...and that's why many, including myself, agreed with his post.

Your post above doesn't answer the OP's question although it may help expats who are working and continuing to contribute.

Fred quoted the OP who said he'd only been paying into BPJS for one year and his contribution therefore would be very little...and that's why many, including myself, agreed with his post.

Your post above doesn't answer the OP's question although it may help expats who are working and continuing to contribute.

Even if the op only worked one year at that salary he’d still get 68jt or almost 5000usd, let’s say his salary is half it’s still 2500usd, hardly peanuts in either case.

Since we don’t know the OPs salary and how much he has been paying, Fred’s post saying “just leave it as an act of charity” was also of no use to him.

Even if the op only worked one year at that salary he’d still get 68jt or almost 5000usd, let’s say his salary is half it’s still 2500usd, hardly peanuts in either case.

Since we don’t know the OPs salary and how much he has been paying, Fred’s post saying “just leave it as an act of charity” was also of no use to him.

You're correct.... it would have been informative if the OP had indicated how much he was leaving on the table.
If he was earning as much as you indicate in your post he didn't need to ask us on a forum.... he could have employed a lawyer to recover his JHT!

Oh come on, as if it’s THAT much. If that is an all-in package for an expat well advanced in his career with 2/3 kids going to international school or university in his/her home country, a mortgage to take care of, student/advanced degree loans to pay off etc, that “poor” expat won’t have money for a lawyer nor would he leave even a weeks worth of wages behind.

Local garuda pilots earn similar wages incl flying hours etc, think of all the guys in finance, consultancy, oil & gas and even hospitality where a General Manager can easily earn 10k usd a month.

Dislike all you want, one “high” salary isn’t the other, and you’d be stupid to throw away even one weeks’ worth of wages.

On Upper Crust and Jakarta Buy and Sell you see expats selling the socks and shoes of their small kids for 10.000-20.000 so give me a break....I agree with @Euc- , it is something you worked for and are entitle to. As long as it's more than the transportation to the BPJS office.....

Hi digging an old thread out.
Has the rules changed?
Can JHT still be withdrawn upon leaving Indonesia?
Thank you.

Yes, you can withdraw the JHT. Go to the BPJS Ketenagakerjaan office, tell the security that you want to claim the JHT. They will give the claim form to fill out.
Along with the form, you need to submit:
  • BPJS Ketenagakerjaan card (original)
  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of your KITAS and/or your current visa
  • Copy of Reference Letter from the company where you worked for before (The letter should show that you are no longer work there)
  • A statement letter from you that says that you are no longer work in Indonesia (sign it on a materai 6ribu rupiah)
  • Copy of first page of your Indonesian bank book (should show your acc#, your name, and name of the bank)
  • If you send a representative to do it for you, you need to make an authorization letter (surat kuasa on your behalf). They will need to bring their ID with them, of course.
The security might ask you to get the queue number online before starting the claim process. If you have a KTP then you should be able to do it but if you don't (like me), I just walked into the office and they directed me to get the manual queue number from there.

I claimed mine last month. Received the money in my bank account the next day.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I had recieve this BPJS refund amount of over 80k in USD quivilant. Would or should my USA Tax filings consider this overseas earned income and whee they tax me acordingly? This is already withheld the Indonesia Tax for the with drawl of a pension fund. As the same if penalizd to withdrawl of a 401k retirment. Is this amout subjected to double tax, the USA? Since this in oveseas pension plan and those funds came from that.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819