Any motorcyclists on here.

vocalneal

Cager
I'm pondering restoring rebuilding and old two-stroke as a hobby. Something like a Kawasaki GTO if they ever made into Indonesia. Just wondering what older bikes there are around?

Getting my bike license is one thing I've regretted not doing, and although I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast as such, I do love to get out for long rides on the scooter. There was that one time riding around northern India on an old Enfield that brings back many great memories as well.

Sorry, not really that relevant to your question.

Getting my bike license is one thing I've regretted not doing, and although I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast as such, I do love to get out for long rides on the scooter. There was that one time riding around northern India on an old Enfield that brings back many great memories as well.

Sorry, not really that relevant to your question.

They sell those Enfields in Indonesia as well now, still the same design, little bit improved engine. Around a staggering 75jt :D

Had bikes for 30 years (www.heikkil.net) and now in JKT heart says "buy one" but head says "armored truck instead"... Anyhow Mrs HeikkiL was enormously nice (or just wants to get rid of me...) and bought me a scooter to explore Jakarta streets and streetcorners...

After getting used to the hectic chaos they call local traffic I'm planning to buy a proper bike again. Home government also accepted the idea so getting there... ;)

But oh the project bikes... As you probably noticed new +250cc bikes have ridiculous taxes so they are few and expensive. Most are ex police or military, BMW K-series would be good because I know them inside-out, but the local prices... Sigh.

Used to ride; have the scars to attest to my skill level. Wiser i.e. more cowardly, these days.

I have an affinity for anything old that has a motor, but curb my enthusiasm while in Jakarta.

Used to ride; have the scars to attest to my skill level. Wiser i.e. more cowardly, these days.

I have an affinity for anything old that has a motor, but curb my enthusiasm while in Jakarta.
Boy, do I know what you're talking about. Especially the scars. I left those days behind when I departed the US. Leaving the big bike ideas in the dust upon my arrival. Still had the itch so did pick up a Mio Soul. Figured since it was to just get around town, it was the best choice since it was faster than a car. In Jakarta I wouldn't even ride anything on those streets.

Now I am looking for a new automatic. I thought bigger bike, non automatic but figured at my age, laziness wins. I thought a nice NMax would be the way to go. Bigger motor than the Mio so faster I guess. Then upon some thought, I decided that next week I will go buy another Mio. I figured that while capable of driving with all the brain dead on the roads, one dosen't know when their capabilities will deminish and you have to stop driving. Our driving requirements just keep us around town so really, there is no need for the bigger motor. Probably just something to announce, hey, look at me. I have one of these and you don't. That's not my style. I save a few juta with this choice and not knowing what is in the future, this should serve me well.

That's not to say the idea of refurbishing and customizing an older bike or auto doesn't cross my mind from time to time. Hobbies are good when you are retired.

... I thought a nice NMax would be the way to go. Bigger motor than the Mio so faster I guess. Then upon some thought, I decided that next week I will go buy another Mio.

I was also planning to buy NMax, but for Jakarta traffic it is just a bit too big and in hectic traffic the luxury part of it would be unused... So bought an Aerox 155; same engine as NMax but looks (and FEELS!) like a city scooter.

Need that extra 30cc to compensate my extra weight (well needed more like extra 600cc but that wasn't an option...). :D

I was also planning to buy NMax, but for Jakarta traffic it is just a bit too big and in hectic traffic the luxury part of it would be unused... So bought an Aerox 155; same engine as NMax but looks (and FEELS!) like a city scooter.

Need that extra 30cc to compensate my extra weight (well needed more like extra 600cc but that wasn't an option...). :D
I was looking at the Aerox also but seemed very close size wise to the NMax. I know the weight factor is important but my previous mio seems to do OK even with a total weight on 150 some kilos and shopping bags. There have now been more improvements with the 125 engines so I think I will be OK. Max speed here I do on the Highway is 70 KPH and seem to be passing everyone than. Even if I changed my mind when I walk into the dealer and go with an Aerox, it would just be the R since I don't need the bells and whistles.

Even if I changed my mind when I walk into the dealer and go with an Aerox, it would just be the R since I don't need the bells and whistles.

Yep, got myself the R version (better rear suspension). Didn't even consider the top S model with keyless start and start/stop mechanism - too many gadgets to fail...

I think the double rear shock was what invited me to look at the NMax to begin with. Who knows, maybe my trip to the dealer this week will change my mind.

I think the double rear shock was what invited me to look at the NMax to begin with. Who knows, maybe my trip to the dealer this week will change my mind.
fastpitch, just buy the Nmax it's a lot more stable and more secure than any mio or vario, I have one since more than one year and it's realy enjoyable. Sometimes I drive the vario of my wife and each time I am surprised how unstable it is.

fastpitch, just buy the Nmax it's a lot more stable and more secure than any mio or vario, I have one since more than one year and it's realy enjoyable. Sometimes I drive the vario of my wife and each time I am surprised how unstable it is.
I think before going right up to the NMax I would entertain the idea of the Aerox which seem very similar. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't need all the bells and whistles.

I did stop and try to look some motors over today at the Yamaha and Honda dealers near me. Yamaha had the Mios of course but no Aerox in stock. Said I should come back Friday and they would have a NMax that belongs to someone there for me to check out saying they are very very similar. I have decided on no new Mio. The rear suspension is just to important. I'll stop back on Friday. This dealership has given me nothing but exceptional service on my current Mio so I would like to do my business with them if I go Yamaha.The Aerox VVA is Rp 23,000,000.

A large Honda dealership is very close to home so stopped there next. I mentioned I was looking for an automatic and the sweet girl took me right away to the Beats of course. I mentioned something about not being Indonesian and I don't use credit. My wife took over then. She took us to the rear warehouse area and after walking past rows and rows of colorful little Beats, she stopped at a 125 Vario. Sure was pretty but I discovered that it was loaded with accessories for the show room. Still, not bad looking. Bigger than the Mio it seems and the rear suspension with only one shock was quite a bit larger than the Mio's. Rear tire was wider too. I drove it only on their lot and no speed bumps to go over. I asked the technician if he would lay down so i could check the suspension but he opted out of that idea. Of course, the sweet young lady sales staff was eager to get me out the door on that particular motor but I said no, wait. What about the 150 Vario? Just arrived and not ready to show yet so couldn't see one.

As we walked back to the showroom area, here comes the boss announcing that he was the boss and would talk to us. OK boss, nice to meet you. I want a better cash price. After his eyes narrowed back to normal he said the cash price is what it is. Rp 19,061,000 for the 125 Vario but the one they have with the shiny accessories and the self advertising floor mat isRp 22,200,000. How much is the Vario 150, with no shiny accessories I asked. Rp 22, 747,000. What's the difference between the base models? Bigger engine and softer seat on the 150. What's the weight carrying difference. None, both are listed at 150Kg. I told him I would think the 150 would work less than the 125 with the same weight. He didn't know. We talked price and I finally got him to say he would give Rp 300,000 cash back for the 150. That's a start I told him. He wanted me to return to the warehouse again then.

Low and behold, the 150 was now ready to check out. I put my wife on the back and off we went in the smooth lot. I did some sharp cornering and checked it as well as i could there. Good the brakes are good because I did try some acceleration moves where I had to suddenly stop before removing a fence. It worked. The Vario's did have more power than the Mios and the 150 didn't seem that much more powerful than the 125. As for accessories that are nice and shiny, I told him that if I wanted any I would come and get them later. That way I can check after market products too.

So, I will go check the NMax that is similar to the Aerox Friday and sit and do some comparing on the net. Monday i should be ready to go in and say, I want this or that.

Any suggestions?

I really like the NMax. Comfortable, stable and with good handling and acceleration. Advise getting the ABS version though, it makes a difference in rain or emergency stops.

Aerox... Same engine and variator trans as NMax, bit bigger wheels (14" vs 13"), sportier, lighter, R model has better piggyback rear shocks. Quite a bit cheaper than NMax also.

Minus points rear drum brake and ABS only in S model and only in front.

The only thing that may sway me from the Aerox to the Honda 150 is the Honda's foot platform & it's ability to easily carry more shopping / backpacks, whatever.

I've carried a full large backpack on the foot platform of a 110 Vario with a smaller full backpack on top of it, my wife behind me with a backpack & 2 surfboards without any trouble.

The one time I did put the large backpack on my back was only to move hotels which luckily wasn't far because the bike was all over the shop with the dead weight up high..

We did have one mishap when fully loaded, we stopped for fuel & the weight caused the sidestand to sink into the soft edge of the road causing the bike to topple sideways, sending us both down a slight grassy embankment.

This was of course quite alarming as it happened but after the initial shock & being who she is, my wife started laughing in the long grass as I helped her to her feet. My next concern was my boards & the bike which had stuck in position at the edge of the road & fortunately had all been saved from any damage by the surfboard racks.

This was all to the amusement of passers by & the fuel attendant who had that blank look Indonesians sometimes get that seems to say something like “I don't understand why you deliberately did that”.

Last edited:
The price of the NMax keeps me away from it. Just can't justify the cost living on a pension. Plus, I worry the size will keep me from easily moving through the tight traffic areas. Honda and Yamaha have gone to the 14 inch wheels on their 125s and 150s and they have wider tires now. Not as wide as the Aerox and NMax though.

What I'm not sure of is the width of the Aerox vs the NMax. Get a little worried if I need to buy something unseen. I do like the floor of tge conventional automatics for just the reason listed above. When grocery shopping my wife carries the light shopping bag while I set the heavier one on the floor. Won't happen with the Aerox since no floor besides foot rest areas. It does come with a 21 cubic liter storage area that could be utilized for things. The Honda Vario has a floor and 18 cubic liter storage.

Traffic here isn't what it is in Jakarta but it has it's spots of it going everywhere at the same time plus we have a mayor that thinks all high traffic areas need overpasses while not allowing any planning on how to get on or off them when moving in a different direction of the way you want to go. The remedy, put in a U turn down the road to make more congestion in that area. So, size and handling are important. The cargo is pretty important so braking and acceleration is a must.

Both dealers offer some clothing freebies for incentives. Both say they don't have anything that would fit me nor can they get any. So, I think they should substitute accessories. What do you think of that idea. I'm sure they are going to say they can not and just get off with giving no insentives but I'll work on them.

When we bought our Varios we got a deal over the phone which was about 2 Juta less on each bike than the highest dealer price we'd found, we also got a couple of crappy nylon jackets which fell apart after a couple of months & helmets which we still have.

300k off sounds a bit miserly but then they didn't have the bike you were really after so I suppose the guy didn't think you were going to buy & so he wasn't real serious.

I'd probably try to find another dealer who has the bike on the floor or wait until that previous guy has the right bike on the floor, then give him a call & ask him what he'll do for cold hard cash in his hand.

Edit .... I mean my wife did the dealing .... :)

Last edited:
To get back to the OP, I just had a bit of a google & it seems the Kawasaki GTO was called a BINTER in Indonesia. I've seen a few old what were obviously Kawasaki rice burners in Bali in varying states of repair but have never noticed the BINTER badge on one.

https://autotekno.sindonews.com/rea...aki-binter-bersaudara-di-indonesia-1469008233

binter-GTO.jpg

Was thinking about buying a new Honda CRF250 or Kawa 250 Versys to accompany the scooter, but then some weird moment of sensibility struck and I was thinking about Jakarta traffic, distances, macetttt etc. and gave up the idea.

Old 200-250cc would be ok for tinkering and mental health (but then again need a place for building it: storing parts, tools etc. in apartment's parking hall just is not a good idea), but in Jkt traffic just doesn't make that much sense (yes, you do see old 2-stroke bikes and Vespas in traffic, but idea of having an engine break in the middle of Jatinegara just is a bit out of my comfort zone... ). So now focus more or less in more modern old-school bikes... Kawa Estrella is great, but oh the prices (after all is a 18hp basic bike...), Yamaha & Honda have some nice older models, and I guess some newer ones also have a decent bike under all that plastic...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging