Recent content by Jaime C

  1. Jaime C

    Aviation info.

    What is this Quantas you speak of? ;)
  2. Jaime C

    [Agency] Maids, Nannies, Drivers, Cooks & Elderly Caregivers in Jakarta - Ayasan Indonesia

    When my FIL had a brain aneurism a decade ago, we hired a dozen or more live in helpers/nurses over a 6-7 year time frame to help my MIL care for him. We tried 4-5 different agencies in that time, and can’t say that we ever got a great candidate. We got quite a few bad candidates. So, I’d...
  3. Jaime C

    Roof drain is flooding inside our kitchen everytime there is heavy rain.

    We did try from both sides. Didn’t fix it. In the end, once our plumber got a longer router, he was able to get it unstopped. Seemed someone, probably the maid, had been putting warm cooking oil down the drain, which then hardened way down the pipe.
  4. Jaime C

    Students Are Learning Less Globally

    Mensa was originally supposed to be the top 1% of IQ’s, but it actually morphed into top 2%. Which, as I recall when I took the test in 1982-1983, was about 136-140 IQ.
  5. Jaime C

    Garden visitors

    Ah, a lovely French cat house! I like cats, but they seem to multiply rapidly. We travel a bit too much to adopt any, but get to see the free range neighborhood cats.
  6. Jaime C

    Students Are Learning Less Globally

    I think the government in many parts of the world, but particularly the US, has already gotten to Idiocracy levels. As an American it certainly makes me sad. Brawndo’s got electrolytes!
  7. Jaime C

    Aviation info.

    The third time is the charm! :)
  8. Jaime C

    USA Debt & Deficit Going Out of Control?

    Well, I have one new card that is giving 2% back on all purchases. No forex fees. And then 0% interest rate for 18 months. For a US issued card, I find this much rarer these days. 25 years ago I saw lots of free 12 month 0% interest deals. Mostly I see hotel/airline point deals these days. I...
  9. Jaime C

    Krakatoa eruption

    We were forced to use Kertajati years ago, soon after it opened. We had BDG flights booked originally. I wasn’t a big fan of it back then. The Bandung airport has been opened since August, I think. I’ll agree that any sort of taxi mafia stuff is dumb. Luckily we just have my wife’s cousin drive...
  10. Jaime C

    Krakatoa eruption

    Looks like Anak Krakatau has been erupting for a couple of days. Mask warnings for a wide area. I’ve seen some epic nighttime eruption videos. Here’s a daytime pic from IG.
  11. Jaime C

    USA Versus China in Science & Technology

    All my investment accounts are US based.
  12. Jaime C

    USA Versus China in Science & Technology

    The whole attitude of the current US government trying to bully the world on trade and tariffs will permanently hurt them. I’ve lost millions of dollars in sales to Chinese companies counterfeiting US patented products in the last 5 years. Even if you can get one company to stop selling them, 5...
  13. Jaime C

    Proposal to increase the parking charge up to Rp60k for cars and up to Rp15k per hour for motor bike !!!

    Motorbikes take up a pretty small amount of space. We’re not talking Harley’s here. Trying to compare parking costs in Jakarta to Hamsterdam is pretty idiotic. You don’t see tens of thousands of bicyclists riding to work in Jakarta every day. Other than the 2k or 5k tip/fee at convenience...
  14. Jaime C

    Proposal to increase the parking charge up to Rp60k for cars and up to Rp15k per hour for motor bike !!!

    Those rates are pretty crazy. 60k an hour for cars?
  15. Jaime C

    Low Carb Recipes — Healthy expat cooking inspiration

    I usually do a 2-4 week course on a low carb diet, maybe 4 times a year. I don’t find it real easy, and it’s certainly a lot more expensive than eating a normal diet. I generally stick to a menu of lots of vegetables, pork, beef and chicken. With no rice, sweet sauces, breading, etc. I do take...

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

New posts Latest threads

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
6,728
Messages
113,712
Members
4,024
Latest member
shani
Back
Top Bottom