Working With Orphanages

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Starting the information process on how I can possibly help out an Orphanage or 2 in my area. There are a lot of Orphanages listed in my area so I am starting with 2 to 4 in may area. What I am trying to find out, what is the best ways to help them and how should one go about doing it?

I have leaned that some do pretty good already financially so really do not need as much help as other places.
That not all have just orphans and could include children with parents. I would rather help those that have no parents even though I am well aware they may be their because their parents have nothing themselves. Just this thing with me about why have children when you can't take care of them thing.
Presantrens are Muslim schools and some Orphanages state this is part of them. I do not want to support these schools because they also allow in those outside the orphanages. If I wanted to support a pesantren, I would do so directly.
I am unsure of the meaning of Yayasan and it's relation to possible education.

I do know they all will readily accept cash but I am not in favor of that. I want to be sure whatever is done goes to helping the children. Should it be food donated, clothing, library itms, or what? We are too old to adopt a child and probably could not since we are a mixed religion family and the child would not be raised Muslim.

Any input?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
We've seen the same here in Jakarta; kids from Papua or East Java or so in the (catholic) orphanage who are in fact not even orphans.

Since there is a school part of the yayasan, they really like it to have some foreign volunteers teaching. Esp. foreign languages (English obviously as first choice).

They also have a (semi) warung in which they prepare nasi goreng, djenkol, etc. We buy them the raw materials sometimes.

And I use some of the kids in their spare time to take care of my cats (cleaning, litter boxes, play with them) and walk the dogs. They love that and get some money for it.

All rather rewarding.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
We've seen the same here in Jakarta; kids from Papua or East Java or so in the (catholic) orphanage who are in fact not even orphans.

Since there is a school part of the yayasan, they really like it to have some foreign volunteers teaching. Esp. foreign languages (English obviously as first choice).

They also have a (semi) warung in which they prepare nasi goreng, djenkol, etc. We buy them the raw materials sometimes.

And I use some of the kids in their spare time to take care of my cats (cleaning, litter boxes, play with them) and walk the dogs. They love that and get some money for it.

All rather rewarding.
Thanks Jstar,
I can only find orphanages here that are Muslim so directing everything at them. Lots of Chinese and Indonesian catholics here but no orphanages. Probably take care of their own and the number much lower. That or they are in Jakarta.
So, Yayasan is a school. I only understand it as a foundation whatever that means. I certainly know English but I am always the first to admit I know nothing about teaching it or anything else. I stick with visiting the High Schools for conversational stuff.

I did find one Orphanage that has a home based business in local coffee. I would certainly support any type of enterprise that helps them be better self supporting. One does have a nasi stand but the location would be a hindrance to buy from but perhaps to purchase some raw material. Nasi is cheap and I was thinking of maybe donating 10, 20 kilo bags, 10, 10 kilo bags sugars, salt, and oil to the closest 10.

No animals at our house so do not have any idea what I could give anyone to do.

I just have a feeling that there are some places that are not large and in greater need. Not come up on Google that maybe a couple Women or families operate. Going to research these further and see what I can come up with. I would really like to direct my moves towards those that need it most.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yeah, it will depend on the area you're in I guess. Religious denomination in itself is not important for me but I don't like most pesantren.

Yayasan is officially a foundation/organization/company with social objectives and without pursuit of profit.

So it could be an orphanage, school, but even animal shelter or religious institution, homeless center, thrift store, the Red Cross, etc.

You need to be a bit cautious since some do get their employees (read: management and owners) rather nice salaries, even if the organization is non-profitable.

Last edited:

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Yeah, it will depend on the area you're in I guess. Religious denomination in itself is not important for me but I don't like most pesantren.

Yayasan is officially a foundation/organization/company with social objectives and without pursuit of profit.

So it could be an orphanage, school, but even animal shelter or religious institution, homeless center, thrift store, the Red Cross, etc.

You need to be a bit cautious since some do get their employees (read: management and owners) rather nice salaries, even if the organization is non-profitable.
I really do not want to deal with Presantren mainly because it could easily have many that are not orphans. I will have no choice here as to what religion may be represented. It looks like only one.

Yeah, the salaries given are concerning and I can see working with places like this just as cautionary just as working with businesses. Guy at the top gets something and then it filters down thus leaving the guy or person on the bottom that should benefit, without. I think that is why I want to stay away from any cash donations and if asked for I have no qualms saying no. Food products, material, or clothing seem the safest with good returns. Still looking for some smaller ones that don't have great big signs up along the roads. Always a problem with the "hey, look at me" places.

Helpful Herbert

There is also the whole Yatim situation, where they wheel out a bunch of "orphans" at holy events to make the organiser of the event look better. Money is given to the kids (how much they are allowed to keep is not known). I find that whole process rather disturbing.

macvert

Cager
Having had a bit to do with an Orphanage I would suggest that donating food should be closely monitored to make sure that it actually gets into the mouths of those it is intended for.

I think that possibly the best bang for your efforts & bucks may be on the health side of things like decent clean bedding & bathing facilities & medical care be it one off or ongoing.

Getting to know the kids themselves should in time give you a better insight into who is who & what goes on at any particular place.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Methblinkz
Top Bottom