Wines from Singapore

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
I've traveled back and forth to Singapore, but never brought any alcohol with me. As far as I remember, one person is allowed to bring a bottle of wine (max 1 ltr). My cousin told me that last time she went to Singapore, she bought wines in little bottles (could be hard liquor she wasn't clear with her story) she said she got stopped by customs in Singapore and was told that she could only buy alcohol in duty shops, not bringing them from outside the airport. I told her that the story seemed strange, she insisted she was correct.

So....once again I turn to my fountain of information (scary eh?): Any of you been to Singapore, bought a bottle or two, bring it back to Indo with no problem? No stopping at Singaporean customs?

My whole family (and a few others) are coming, so this is my chance to bring back a few..but don't wanna be spending lots of money on few bottles only to leave them at the airport.

jukung11

Cager
If it is carry-on, it has to be bought at the duty free stores.

Not if is in checked baggage. Checked baggage I check before security. No way for them to tell me that. Probably was carry-on.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
If it is carry-on, it has to be bought at the duty free stores.

Not if is in checked baggage. Checked baggage I check before security. No way for them to tell me that. Probably was carry-on.

Yep. This is what I told her.

jukung11

Cager
Also for the USA technically the 50 ml single shots are supposed to be allowed for carry-on too. As long as they fit in a quart sized bag. Other countries may or may not comply. I lost two in Qatar that way. Technically you aren't allowed to consume them during the flight either. the airlines want to be able to control how much alcohol passengers consume.

Also for checked baggage, it has to be under 50%ABV so that it is not considered a flammable liquid for most airlines. I never see them check. The weird things I research.

macvert

Cager
Last time I flew to Australia I got asked at Denpasar airport if I had any alcohol in my checked baggage. Although I did have alcohol I said "no" because my immediate & natural thinking was that it was just another one of their scams.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Also for the USA technically the 50 ml single shots are supposed to be allowed for carry-on too. As long as they fit in a quart sized bag. Other countries may or may not comply. I lost two in Qatar that way. Technically you aren't allowed to consume them during the flight either. the airlines want to be able to control how much alcohol passengers consume.

Also for checked baggage, it has to be under 50%ABV so that it is not considered a flammable liquid for most airlines. I never see them check. The weird things I research.

Important though. (I wanted to take some anti rust paint once, not water based.)

Most continents and airlines (outside US?) have 100 ml as maxium container size for liquids. With a total maximum of one liter.

Not only the level of 'drunkenness' is important for the airlines, also if something is potentially offensive for other customers. So flying to 'certain' countries and emptying the mini bar bottles you took might not be a good idea.

macvert

Cager
the airlines want to be able to control how much alcohol passengers consume.

They also like to extort you with their alcohol

Years ago I flew Qantas all inclusive & drank Jack Daniels all night during the flight which was commented on in a jovial manner by one of the flight attendants as I disembarked the flight. I also met a German family while disembarking that flight & had a conversation with them in German, I learnt German at school but thought I had forgotten it, that JD is amazing stuff.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Yeah, it really helps with foreign languages. I must say that the airlines where you would least expect it, were most flexible with the alcohol consumption on board; great experiences on Qatar and Emirates.

jukung11

Cager
The small bottles are good for long layovers to help with a quick nap. I can't carry my flask.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
They are becoming rather stingy. No second little bottle of wine anymore, and digestif brands like Amaretto, Baileys, Tia Maria are ór replaced by a taste-alike ór simply removed altogether. And, even worse, Campari is gone on many airlines. (My favorite apéritif.) Cost cutting everywhere. Weirdly enough they had Sam Adams on a Delta flight to the US though.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Sorry, I thought this might be another Trump complaint thread.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
They are becoming rather stingy. No second little bottle of wine anymore, and digestif brands like Amaretto, Baileys, Tia Maria are ór replaced by a taste-alike ór simply removed altogether. And, even worse, Campari is gone on many airlines. (My favorite apéritif.) Cost cutting everywhere. Weirdly enough they had Sam Adams on a Delta flight to the US though.

I read somewhere that an airplane reduced the operating cost by eliminating one olive from the salad...can't remember what airline, but the story must be true since I got it off the trusted Internet.

As much as I like wine though (and even though it's free), still afraid to consume it on trips back to the US. Jet lag is already awful, can't imagine a jet lag AND a hang over..although I can't imagine having a hang over after a couple small glasses worth.

Back to topic: So buying wines from outside Changi, putting it on my small luggage and telling the officer it's a checked-in baggage, should be okay, correct? Leaving about five bottles behind would put a damper on my mood on the way back to serene and lovely Jakarta.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
Depends on the size and the amount. If 5 small bottles, I think you would be ok. Over 1 liter and I think you will run into problems both at Changi(at security check point by the gate) and Jakarta(bag scanner before leaving the airport).

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Depends on the size and the amount. If 5 small bottles, I think you would be ok. Over 1 liter and I think you will run into problems both at Changi(at security check point by the gate) and Jakarta(bag scanner before leaving the airport).

Well, it's myself, parents, wife and another (adult) family member. Technically, one bottle per person hopefully is allowed. Probably we have to submit separate customs declaration at Soetta?

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Well, it's myself, parents, wife and another (adult) family member. Technically, one bottle per person hopefully is allowed. Probably we have to submit separate customs declaration at Soetta?

1L per adult passenger. In my experience it won't matter if they're all in one bag, as long as the group stays together in case it's questioned. You don't even declare that you're carrying alcohol, the customs form just has a long list of Yes/No check boxes, and your answer to all of them should be No. The one concerning alcohol only asks if you are bringing more than 1L of alcohol, so it get's checked No whether you're bringing nothing or 1L.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonel999
Top Bottom