which visa

west2east01

Im from UK and going to be marrying an indonesian women and moving there I have a degree and will also be doing the tefl course ans plan to work as an english teacher in Indonesia.

Im abit confused on what is the best route to take in terms of visa and was wondering if people could give me advice.

Right now Im thinking of taking a tourist visa to get there then applying for the work visa (KITAS) and then getting married and in future applying for spouse visa. Is this the correct way or is there a better way. I do have to work to provide for her but also want the best visa route as long term I would like to stay there for the rest of life and basically get indefinite stay.

Thanks for the help

You're going to be an English teacher? For real?

Anyway, regarding the visa, and assuming you hold a British passport, come in on the $35 paid VOA so you can extend it when you are here, gives you more time.
If (and that's if) you do somehow find a job teaching English, and have ALL the relevant and mandatory qualifications, then the school should arrange the IMTA and KITAS etc for you at their cost.

Are you legally married in UK or you will do that here?
Be prepared for a lot of paperwork and expense and converting to Islam if necessary.

Have you been to Indonesia before?

well i dont have 5 years experience im a fresh grad and will be doing a pgce in science but also tefl in english

so i dont think i can get jobs in schools coz they want 5 years experience isnt that the case?
You're going to be an English teacher? For real?

Anyway, regarding the visa, and assuming you hold a British passport, come in on the $35 paid VOA so you can extend it when you are here, gives you more time.
If (and that's if) you do somehow find a job teaching English, and have ALL the relevant and mandatory qualifications, then the school should arrange the IMTA and KITAS etc for you at their cost.

Are you legally married in UK or you will do that here?
Be prepared for a lot of paperwork and expense and converting to Islam if necessary.

Have you been to Indonesia before?

well im a fresh grad and going on to doing pgce teacher training in chemistry but also gonna do a tefl in english
but i read you cant get jobs in schools without 5 yrs experience is this not the case?

due to the above i was looking at teaching in schools for adults looking to learn english as a 2nd language but now im hearing they are low pay. Is this the case?
And is the pay enough to survive and provide for a family?
(Some do give accomodation)

whats VOA
sorry im new to all of this

what im confused on is do i do KITAS through marriage or work. If i do it through marriage within a couple years i can go to KITAP and but is this the case for KITAP through work sponsorship?

If I get KITAP through work and get married can I go onto to getting KITAP via my spouse?

I will go indonesia and get married.
Im already muslim lol
never been to indonesia before

Best way would be to get a KITAS sponsored by your wife and a company to sponsor your working permit. That way less hassle when you want to change companies in the future.

A KITAS sponsored by a company cannot be converted into a KITAP for someone in your situation.

If you want to find a job as English teacher I’d advise you to do something about your grammar, nobody will take you serious if you write like you are doing now (public forum or not). Once it has become a habit it’ll always find ways to sneak back in.

Low pay? Depends on your standards. If you want to live a western lifestyle you won’t be getting far. If you’re ok with an Asian/Indonesian lifestyle you’ll be fine.

Best way would be to get a KITAS sponsored by your wife and a company to sponsor your working permit. That way less hassle when you want to change companies in the future.

A KITAS sponsored by a company cannot be converted into a KITAP for someone in your situation.

If you want to find a job as English teacher I’d advise you to do something about your grammar, nobody will take you serious if you write like you are doing now (public forum or not). Once it has become a habit it’ll always find ways to sneak back in.

Low pay? Depends on your standards. If you want to live a western lifestyle you won’t be getting far. If you’re ok with an Asian/Indonesian lifestyle you’ll be fine.

lol
sorry im use to writing on forums and text without grammar

When you mean working permit you mean the IMTA right?

Yes i was just wondering is it enough to live in indonesia (indo lifestyle) if so then thats fine

Visa on arrival
Indo lifestyle is $300 a month
The school would organise all your permits and work visa etc. If they don't then they are a scam. And you would be here illegally. Which is a huge no. You will get deported

You have to be married here legally before your wife can sponsor you

Yes you need experience and qualifications even for the most basic position here and the salary is not big especially for western standards

That's just the facts

That's very very basic Indo lifestyle for a month or one good night at the pub. I think someone coming fresh from the UK would have serious issues adjusting to Jakarta life at under $1000 a month and even under $2000 would be less than many expats monthly bar tab. If he is ok living in a no frills Kost, eating daily from a kaki lima and only going to the pub when there is a free beer promo he would still have a tough time under $300/month

That's very very basic Indo lifestyle for a month or one good night at the pub. I think someone coming fresh from the UK would have serious issues adjusting to Jakarta life at under $1000 a month and even under $2000 would be less than many expats monthly bar tab. If he is ok living in a no frills Kost, eating daily from a kaki lima and only going to the pub when there is a free beer promo he would still have a tough time under $300/month

i dont drink

i can budget and prefer home food anyway
i was asking as i was just wondering are the jobs such as teaching english as a foreign language etc paying well enough to provide for families in indonesia

Visa on arrival
The school would organise all your permits and work visa etc. If they don't then they are a scam. And you would be here illegally. Which is a huge no. You will get deported

You have to be married here legally before your wife can sponsor you

Yes you need experience and qualifications even for the most basic position here and the salary is not big especially for western standards

That's just the facts

im kind of confused as your saying to get the work visa through a company but then another user said the best way for me would be to get a spouse visa (as in future id like KITAP) and then work permit through work place/ company

which one do i do?
(i thought the spouse visa limits you in what work you do)

Last edited:
You are confusing residence permits/visa (KITAS/KITAP) and work permits, previously called IMTA. They can be sponsored separately.

lol
sorry im use to writing on forums and text without grammar

When you mean working permit you mean the IMTA right?

Yes i was just wondering is it enough to live in indonesia (indo lifestyle) if so then thats fine

Not sure how you do that, for me it would actually require more of an effort to write with that many mistakes as my laptops’ automatic spelling checker would correct most of the basic mistakes you’re making.

Previously it was called IMTA, but yes, thats what I meant with working permit.

Indo lifestyle.. Have you ever been in Indonesia? Have you ever really seen an “indo lifestyle”? And with that I obviously do not mean the upperclass Indo’s who live in mansions being cared for by an army of helpers.

I have a friend doing a CELTA English teaching course in Jakarta right now. She is really smart, organized, mature and has perfect English and she is finding it a great challenge. I think Native English speakers underestimate the challenges of actually teaching the language (and the requirements of the schools who would employ them).
If OP does get a job in one of those types of school I think he can expect to earn at least 10 juta per month (700 USD), probably more if he works more hours. It's really low from an "expat" job standard but pretty okay by Indonesian standards - esp if your wife-to-be is also working.
Might be a good idea to actually visit here first and make sure you really accept the "indo standard" :)

Not sure how you do that, for me it would actually require more of an effort to write with that many mistakes as my laptops’ automatic spelling checker would correct most of the basic mistakes you’re making.

Previously it was called IMTA, but yes, thats what I meant with working permit.

Indo lifestyle.. Have you ever been in Indonesia? Have you ever really seen an “indo lifestyle”? And with that I obviously do not mean the upperclass Indo’s who live in mansions being cared for by an army of helpers.

well i have family from a 3rd world country and i have been to there my self so i think i can handle the lifestyle in indonesia

I have a friend doing a CELTA English teaching course in Jakarta right now. She is really smart, organized, mature and has perfect English and she is finding it a great challenge. I think Native English speakers underestimate the challenges of actually teaching the language (and the requirements of the schools who would employ them).
If OP does get a job in one of those types of school I think he can expect to earn at least 10 juta per month (700 USD), probably more if he works more hours. It's really low from an "expat" job standard but pretty okay by Indonesian standards - esp if your wife-to-be is also working.
Might be a good idea to actually visit here first and make sure you really accept the "indo standard" :)

iv seen jobs online similar to what you more or less

but is that enough to be able to provide for a family ( i would rather my wife not have to work)

Holy shit your writing is difficult to read. Can you please attempt punctuation since you plan to teach English? The 5 year experience requirement is frequently waived for teaching English. The 4 year degree and TEFL certifications are usually not waived. The average salary for a fresh graduate that I have seen posted on a few English teaching forums was between 10-14 juta, depending on the province. Most of the TEFL posters were placed through the agencies that advertise online. Since you already have a person in Indonesia and probably location in Indonesia you want to live, I am not sure that the agencies would be the best place for an application.

Typically, most Indonesians live with their parents until they are married. Since you are currently in school, I will make the assumption that you are in your early 20s. It would be unlikely for you to live with your fiance prior to marriage. In Indonesian culture, it would be unusual for you to provide for her until you are married. Some of this scenario is dependent on the cultural group of your future spouse. Typically it is the groom's family obligation to pay for the wedding. Also, weddings can be lavish and expensive affairs in Indonesia. I would factor that into your cost of living. Depending on her family situation, you may have to factor in providing for her parents into your cost of living too. Indonesia customarily has a forced retirement age at 55. If she is an only child or eldest daughter and all of of her siblings are women and she is not working you will be expected to provide for her parents too. It is as common for women to work in Indonesia as it is in most developed countries.

It is not a big difference for a visa, but I personally prefer a sosial budaya visa over the VOA. Unlike the VOA, it is good for 60 days before having to renew. You are planning ahead and already have a connection to Indonesia. You can easily complete the sponsor requirements.

snpark gave some good advice on how to spot and avoid scam teaching jobs. If they promise you can work without the permits, avoid them. They are natives and can bribe their way out of problems. You are more likely to be deported. You seem to want to make plans for a long term stay in Indonesia. Getting caught working illegally can result in a ban from Indonesia for the rest of your life.

Holy shit your writing is difficult to read. Can you please attempt punctuation since you plan to teach English? The 5 year experience requirement is frequently waived for teaching English. The 4 year degree and TEFL certifications are usually not waived. The average salary for a fresh graduate that I have seen posted on a few English teaching forums was between 10-14 juta, depending on the province. Most of the TEFL posters were placed through the agencies that advertise online. Since you already have a person in Indonesia and probably location in Indonesia you want to live, I am not sure that the agencies would be the best place for an application.

Typically, most Indonesians live with their parents until they are married. Since you are currently in school, I will make the assumption that you are in your early 20s. It would be unlikely for you to live with your fiance prior to marriage. In Indonesian culture, it would be unusual for you to provide for her until you are married. Some of this scenario is dependent on the cultural group of your future spouse. Typically it is the groom's family obligation to pay for the wedding. Also, weddings can be lavish and expensive affairs in Indonesia. I would factor that into your cost of living. Depending on her family situation, you may have to factor in providing for her parents into your cost of living too. Indonesia customarily has a forced retirement age at 55. If she is an only child or eldest daughter and all of of her siblings are women and she is not working you will be expected to provide for her parents too. It is as common for women to work in Indonesia as it is in most developed countries.

It is not a big difference for a visa, but I personally prefer a sosial budaya visa over the VOA. Unlike the VOA, it is good for 60 days before having to renew. You are planning ahead and already have a connection to Indonesia. You can easily complete the sponsor requirements.

snpark gave some good advice on how to spot and avoid scam teaching jobs. If they promise you can work without the permits, avoid them. They are natives and can bribe their way out of problems. You are more likely to be deported. You seem to want to make plans for a long term stay in Indonesia. Getting caught working illegally can result in a ban from Indonesia for the rest of your life.

Would you be able to send some of the links of the english teaching forums that advertised in the past good job offers?

I won't be providing for her before marriage or whilst she's living with her parents. I will only be providing for her when we live together and no I don't think the parents expect me to provide for them. She has older brothers so that is their duty furthermore, her family are humble people and there won't be a lavish wedding.

So I should get the spouses KITAS as well as the IMTA and not the work KITAS ?

iv seen jobs online similar to what you more or less

but is that enough to be able to provide for a family ( i would rather my wife not have to work)
If you are happy to live somewhere outside the expensive areas (this will mean you'll possible need to commute to work), not drinking (you are a non-drinker so this will help a lot with your spending :)), eating local food and not traveling much I think it would be possible. I couldn't personally do it but I drink/ eat in restaurants/ travel/ live in Kuningan etc.
Hopefully you'll get a job in a good agency that pays well and has some opportunity for you to develop and earn more in future (I'm sorry I cant recommend any agencies - I have a friend who works for English First but I've never spoken to her about whether she likes/ dislikes her job).
Regarding the wedding costs - you say her parents are humble people - just an FYI that weddings here are way bigger than what I am used to back home (I'm Irish). 100s and even 1000s of people are invited and it usually involves at the least feeding them. I've been to HUGE weddings of very "humble" families so you might be surprised (maybe speak to your fiance about it to check expectations!).

I won't be providing for her before marriage or whilst she's living with her parents. I will only be providing for her when we live together and no I don't think the parents expect me to provide for them. She has older brothers so that is their duty furthermore, her family are humble people and there won't be a lavish wedding.

I think your in for some surprises.

So many young blokes do not see the possible pitfalls. While it is the lifestyle that many of us have chosen, most of us lived here for some time before planning to live here forever! There are many obstacles but most can be overcome. I recommend a slowly as she goes approach. Marriage, family support, employment, lifestyle etc are something to look at in country first before committing to anything. And I do agree with other previous comments, check your grammar! If you wrote an application using poor grammar you will be rejected. Any future students may possibly be better at English grammar than you, thereby creating employer doubts about your suitability.

I have yet to see the OP confirm what passport he holds also?
"From" the UK might not necessarily mean British passport?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopTalent
Back