Whetstones

godmachine12

Charter Member
Cager
I need to find some decent quality whetstones. I've found some on BukaLapak and the like, but the grits I'm looking for aren't available. Does anyone know of a shop which sells them? Possibly a distributor for commercial kitchens? If it's in the greater Jakarta area, I could go to the shop. If it's outside, I could possibly set up an order. Any information is welcome. Cheers.

What kind of grits are you looking for?

Cheers. I've seen what he's selling before. Those stones are too small.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm after stones this size for sharpening larger blades.

Loads of options there. I've never ordered anything from Alibaba though. I could order all this stuff from Amazon, but I've never had anything delivered here (from Amazon I mean). Maybe I should just check the shipping rates and what not. May be worth paying a bit more to get what I want.

That said, I still reckon there must be a distributor that sells to commercial kitchens. They've got to sharpen their blades after all. :)

Loads of options there. I've never ordered anything from Alibaba though. I could order all this stuff from Amazon, but I've never had anything delivered here (from Amazon I mean). Maybe I should just check the shipping rates and what not. May be worth paying a bit more to get what I want.

Amazon is a no brainer. When you search, just make sure to filter results by sellers who ship to Indonesia and you're good to go.

I've ordered many times from Amazon and was never disappointed.

That said, I still reckon there must be a distributor that sells to commercial kitchens. They've got to sharpen their blades after all. :)

Good point but at this stage you may as well order on Amazon or Aliexpress (not alibaba, it's for wholesale).

Amazon is a no brainer. When you search, just make sure to filter results by sellers who ship to Indonesia and you're good to go.

Aye. It's always been hit and miss getting things shipped here which is why I'm a bit wary of splashing out a load of money for something which may or may not arrive. Think I may just give Amazon a go and see what shakes out. Cheers for the Aliexpress link.

For what it's worth, I've ordered from both Amazon and Ali Express and never had a problem. Amazon calculates the import duty and takes a deposit for it. If the duty is less, you get a refund.

I'd guess that Aliexpress would be cheaper.

Go to your nearest 5-star hotel and ask to see the chef. Ask him where he gets his?

Been looking for one as well a while back and saw a 400/800 artificial stone in Livingworld mall, Informa if I remember correctly. There was also a shop that was supposed to sell Zwilling knives, but they changed into a general household store, had some stock left of the knives at nice discounts though.

Ended up ordering it in Europe as a friend was visiting and I needed different girths. Still looking for a proper traditional knife sharpener who does it traditional style with the wheel and I'm too lazy to do my 10+ knifes individually, have asked many chefs but have yet to find one, might just bring them to Europe on my next visit.

Try to contact PT Kawan Lama, they are importer for some of the german knives and should be able to source the stones if you're prepared to wait.

Just for an update, as well as for anyone else looking for some quality stones, found someone selling King whetstones. So yeah, success at last!
Screenshot 2017-07-26 08.12.02.jpg

Great find! Would you mind posting the link to the seller on (cmiiw) bukalapak?

Btw, while I was looking for whetstone online for you, I found some apex type sharpening devices on aliexpress.

EPA4nb.jpg

Do you have any experience/comment on these?

Massdrop has a large one right now. I think. Japanese water whetstone .. I think.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back