When do the schools go back after Corona?

Good news, Cambridge is going to allow teachers assessment for the May/June sries!
Does this mean that we create the assessments and submit the results? (Similar to predicted grades, but based on tests we administer during the exam period?)

They are still unsure of how they are going to do it. We have a teachers meeting on Friday to discuss it. What I plan on doing is using past papers for listening and give students different topics for speaking and have them make a video/audio recording fin speaking for evidence.

The question then will be, when do we submit these.

I've heard that in Jakarta some schools will not return until next year? And that this is mainly because of pressure from parents. Does anyone know when some of the schools that foreigners use (JIS etc) go back, or indeed the local schools? At present people don't seem to be too concerned about their kids missing 9 months of their school with all the impact that will have later on exam results etc., they are more concerned about the health aspects. In other countries there seems to be much more concern about the effect on kids of missing classes.
It's such a hard decision...
But, the government keeps doing their best that closing school, or we call it an online class, will be better administered recently due to the covid 19 spreadout

Locally, parents were informed the schools will no longer allow pick up and delivery of school work by or for the students. This new semester will incorporate remote learning. Now we have thousand of parents that have no clue to how that works. Schools are having meetings with parents today on how you do it. I am sure by tomorrow the questions are going to how do we get access, who pays for the internet, and how can they lean on a phone? We have thousands who while do have assess to networks, only obtain the basc low priced packages and that is normally not for the younger students. Thousands who just won't understand how to do remote learning.
Governments need to establish hot spots in parks and larger areas where students can go and be seperated.

Good news, Cambridge is going to allow teachers assessment for the May/June sries!

We plan for exams to go ahead in June 2021 where it is permitted and safe. We know this is the fairest and most accurate way of assessing candidates’ performance.

In countries, and regions of countries, where government directives mean that exams cannot take place, we are switching from exams to school-assessed grades using student work, so that students can progress despite the impact of the pandemic. You can find a more detailed overview of our approach to school-assessed grades in this document.

Kind of, they are still trying to force through exams where they can! It's obviously all about the money.

We plan for exams to go ahead in June 2021 where it is permitted and safe. We know this is the fairest and most accurate way of assessing candidates’ performance.

In countries, and regions of countries, where government directives mean that exams cannot take place, we are switching from exams to school-assessed grades using student work, so that students can progress despite the impact of the pandemic. You can find a more detailed overview of our approach to school-assessed grades in this document.

Kind of, they are still trying to force through exams where they can! It's obviously all about the money.
For Indonesia and most other ASEAN countries, Cambridge has canceled exams and is moving to school-based assessment. Unlike last year, we will be submitting actual evidence and documentation to back up our reported results.

Well they are doing teacher assessment with evidence and still charging full price. They tried to use France and Germany as examples of schools being open and able to take the examples. However that is just 2 countries and rather than seeing what the status of the different countries, they wanted schools to move to Oct/Nov. Again, they are failing to look at the bigger picture and never had a back up plan for a worst case scenerio.

Cambridge is disappointing a lot of people with their actions.

For Indonesia and most other ASEAN countries, Cambridge has canceled exams and is moving to school-based assessment. Unlike last year, we will be submitting actual evidence and documentation to back up our reported results.

Last year, we gathered the evidence, but they didn't use it. Instead they went with historical data and enough people were up in arms about it, they went with the teachers' predicted grades.

There is a webinar is about 10 minutes so hopefully they will address this. The Q&A is going to be entertaining for sure. If I could start a drinking game with Cambridge, it would be every time they get defensive, take a shot. I would probably pass out in the first 5 minutes from so many shots.

Last year, we gathered the evidence, but they didn't use it. Instead they went with historical data and enough people were up in arms about it, they went with the teachers' predicted grades.

There is a webinar is about 10 minutes so hopefully they will address this. The Q&A is going to be entertaining for sure. If I could start a drinking game with Cambridge, it would be every time they get defensive, take a shot. I would probably pass out in the first 5 minutes from so many shots.
At the moment, our school is offering to refund the exam fees for parents who do not want to go with Cambridge's modified procedure. If my daughter is still able to take AS & A Level classes without having the IGCSE certificate, I am leaning towards the refund option. She will still do the exact same coursework, but just not get the certificate in the end. I am friends with a couple of other parents of G10 students who are of a similar mindset. Of course, nothing is certain yet.

I have a few screenshots which I will edit and try to share. They weren't as defensive this time around.

Cambridge1.jpg
Cambridge1.jpgCambridge2.jpgCambridge3.jpg

Here is some of the information from the webinar. They are planning on checking some schools with the 2019 in person exams and comparing them to 2021.

My child school is having a "trial lesson" day next week. They are apparently meeting in the parking lot for two classes, Physical Education and art, I believe. Just those two classes, one time. No news on future plans from the school.
I'm not in a big hurry for him to go back, btw. Just having the teachers immunized doesn't seem like it does a lot to protect the parents and kids. Just on the numbers having 1 person in a group of 15 immunized is 6.6%. If there are twenty in the group we are down to 5%.
It is so strange to see how many governments are behaving as though starting the immunization process means it is safe to lift restrictions. Just throwing away all the effort of the last year because they can't wait a few more months for it to pay off.

According to my wife, our kids will only go back when the teachers and all the parents are immunised! I would prefer them to go back earlier to be able to see their friends, but I can see her point.

According to my wife, our kids will only go back when the teachers and all the parents are immunised! I would prefer them to go back earlier to be able to see their friends, but I can see her point.
My only hope is that they don't force people to vaccinate their children. However someone feels or thinks about Corona, I find it too early and unnecessary for children to get these vaccines. Grown ups can do whatever they feel like...

My only hope is that they don't force people to vaccinate their children. However someone feels or thinks about Corona, I find it too early and unnecessary for children to get these vaccines. Grown ups can do whatever they feel like...
Vaccinating children is unlikely to happen in the near future because, as far as I know, the Sinovac and AZ vaccines are not doing any Stage 3 trials on populations under 18 years old. That said, once the vaccines are approved for children, the Education Ministry could make them mandatory for any children wanting to attend school in Indonesia.

Vaccinating children is unlikely to happen in the near future because, as far as I know, the Sinovac and AZ vaccines are not doing any Stage 3 trials on populations under 18 years old. That said, once the vaccines are approved for children, the Education Ministry could make them mandatory for any children wanting to attend school in Indonesia.
I don't support the idea of mandatory vaccinations, but Iam afraid it is a possible scenario in many parts of the world. Pretty crazy what became of this whole Covid situation, who would have thought that in December 2019.
Anyway, from what I think the two shots will not be enough. Due to mutations, which are normal for any flu-like viruses or viruses in general, I don't think we can prevent a yearly shot. Many other people already mentioned this. We'll see what happens, I also don't wanna go off topic too much here...

I had heard a rumor last week that it was the National schools that were going to start face to face classes first which would put pressure on International and National Plus schools to do the same.

That being said, they had wanted schools to reopen for in person in Feb, but it was reported that 80% of the schools in Jakarta wouldn't be able to pass the protocol requirements. One problem is, what are the requirements and two, who is going to make sure these are followed?

International schools, I think will be okay with the requirements and some National Plus schools will be too. I don't have confidence that 50% of the schools will be ready to reopen in July.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819