What's it like in Asia?

Minuteman

Charter Member
Cager
Got this from a pilot forum. A guy wants to move family and relocate in Asia. I like this explanation given here:

"From how you sound in your post it seems to me that you haven't been thinking about this long, otherwise most of your questions would have been answered already, i.e. "direct with airline or contract", "how are the medicals", "staff travel", "career progression", etc... Nothing wrong with that, at all. It is just that moving to Asia is about more than the salary or quality of schools, is about being in a place where, maybe, you just don't count as an individual or a professional. It is about living in your bubble, half of it by your own choice, the other half because you are not really wanted out of it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but to make you realize that checking the T&C's doesn't even cover 10% of what the change is going to be, and you sound a bit oblivious about what will really involve moving here. I'm entering my 15th year living in South East Asia with my family, and I have seen many fine professionals giving up on this region after only a couple of years, and that was while being in higher payed positions than me or other long time stayers, so it is not all about the money.

Be ready not to be considered as part of the team, while being expected to accept it with a smile because "you have to understand that you are not one of us". Be ready to be lied, gaslighted, manipulated, being told half truths, all this being part of the normal routine of social relations here. Be ready to be attacked just for displaying an opinion different from that of the attacker, be ready to survive in a world where losing face is just not an option, no matter what the implications. Be ready to share your everyday activities and routines with people who don't know anything other than "the survival of the fittest". Be ready, in short, to leave not your own country, but the very set or rules that have governed your life for the last 35 years, down to the core.

If you plan to come here for just a couple of years then use all the money available to enjoy those years as a kind of tourist, "scratching" the surface of this part of the world. There is plenty to enjoy and you'll remember it as quite an experience. However, if you plan to stay longer, start by questioning how much of yourself you are willing to let go or transform so you can fit in this society. Sounds very philosophical, but the truth is that, despite the behaviors described above, I have met expats living here for way longer than me, many of them very wise people. If I had to describe them in a few words I'd say that they are people who, from the first moment, didn't judge this place, just accepted it as it came to them. Some of them live like locals and some others drive fancy cars, but all of them are defined by that same quality.

If you need more info, or another "coming of age" speech send me a PM."

Puspa, fair enough but does not change the truth of the reply re Asia in general. Here is the question from the other forum:

Hi y’all!!

I am a European based captain with an (English) low cost airline and had enough of them and the Northern European weather ;-)!!

Just being back from a nice holiday in Thailand, and having spend a month in Vietnam some years ago as well I am very interested to turn my life around and move to Asia.

This would be emigrating WITH the family and therefor not looking for some kind of commuting contract.

Some info about myself, 35 yrs old, married, 1 kid together aged 3, 1 kid from my wifes previous relationship aged 13.
Either the move is with all 4 or otherwise without the oldest may he decide he doesn’t want to.
Currently Captain on A320 series, about 8000TT, 2500PIC.

I hope to hear from you guys out there what to expect, what to think of before making the ‘plunge’.
How is expat life out there where ever you are? How is it for the wifes and kids? How about school (quality)?

And ofcourse, how are the contracts? You got direct contracts, agency? How are the salaries? How is stafftravel?

I might be interested into trying long haul. Anyone who works for company that flies longhaul or perhaps short and longhaul. Possibilites to upgrade to the longhaul fleet after some time.

How is the selection process? And how ‘heavy’ is the medical? Heared about that they even note if tattoos are there? Are they a problem?

Hope to hear from you guys out there!
Either public or private msg, all extremely welcome!!

I would tell him don't bother. The school fees will bankrupt him and the stress of flying for an Asian airline will finish him off. He'd be better trying for a Mid east airline or SG. Not an Indonesian one for sure

My first criticism would be of how broad the question was. "What's it like in Asia?" is only slightly more narrow a question than "What does food taste like?"

Like the other thread somewhere asking where to go for a holiday in Indonesia and is it safe?

Having worked and lived myself 25 y in Asia (South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, SGP, HKG, and now Bali) I must say that there are several thruths in the O.P.'s post.
Now, I must not have been too bad as I am still around !

But although there are points common to ALL Asian countries (face just to mention one..), there are big differences from country to country.
Working in Thailand is completely different than working in HKG, etc..
My advise : dont try to "integrate" too much, after all you'll never be a "local". Live as you are / who you are, enjoy all the good things (and there are plenty), and try not too stress too much on the less good things. And dont hesitate to move on to another place if after a few years you are bored or burned out.
Oh, and yes DONT FALL IN LOVE in the first month !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back