What visa for my American kids?

tribeone

First I want to apologize if this topic has been addressed already but I have been unable to find my answer in search here and on google. OK so here's the skinny. I am getting married next year to wanita Indonesian. I will be staying permanently Gods willing after Nikah. I have 3 children from a previous marriage (both parents American) that will be going with me. I already know the process for myself entering on a sosbud and transferring to kitas the kitap etc etc. My question is my kids. What visa and what process for them to stay. Is it the same as for me? Thanks in advance.

First I want to apologize if this topic has been addressed already but I have been unable to find my answer in search here and on google. OK so here's the skinny. I am getting married next year to wanita Indonesian. I will be staying permanently Gods willing after Nikah. I have 3 children from a previous marriage (both parents American) that will be going with me. I already know the process for myself entering on a sosbud and transferring to kitas the kitap etc etc. My question is my kids. What visa and what process for them to stay. Is it the same as for me? Thanks in advance.

Your Indonesian wife will be able to sponsor your children for KITAS once she is legally married to you. The application process is similar to your own, you need to provide additional documentation as outlined here: http://www.imigrasi.go.id/index.php/layanan-publik/izin-tinggal-terbatas-itas#requirements

General requirements and compulsory documents:

Completed application form;
Sponsor/guarantor letter (Exemption: foreigners who are married to an Indonesian citizen);
Passport and a copy of passport photo/biodata page, visa, and recent arrival stamp;
A valid entry permit date and date by which report to the immigration office (please check your arrival stamp;
Domicile letter from local authority;

Children of a foreigner who is married to an Indonesian, must provide a:

Request letter for a KITAS from their parents;
Copy of their birth certificate;
Copy of the parents’ marriage certificate from the government office;
Copy of the parent’s valid Indonesian identity card;
Copy of the parent’s Indonesian family card.

Referring to the Immigration Law no 6, 2011, there is no difference in the KITAS application process between a foreigner married to an Indonesian and the children of that foreigner. I think that you can do the children's application simultaneously with your own.

dafluff

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful information. Just to be sure they would enter on a sosbud just like me at the initial entry correct?

dafluff

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful information. Just to be sure they would enter on a sosbud just like me at the initial entry correct?

My understanding is yes, a sosbud sponsored by your WNI wife, then converted to a KITAS at the same time you are processing yours. The only hang up I have is that the Immigration webpage is putting this in a separate category (see below). Your children are in category (e), and they put it on a separate category from (a) which lists all the categories where SosBud to KITAS conversion is possible. My feeling is that this is more an oversight, because the law itself does not make this distinction. Hopefully anyone with direct practical information can chime in.

Now further to your situation, is your future wife currently in the US or in Indonesia? If she is in Indonesia, it would probably be easier for her to arrange all the paperwork done immediately for a VITAS online (steps are outlined here), then you and your children can enter Indonesia immediately on a KITAS, and won't have to worry about the conversion stuff.

1. Limited stay permit is given to:
    1. Foreigners who enter the Indonesian territory with the limited stay visa (VITAS) or convert from a visit permit ( B211 index visa) for following purposes:
      1. as investors;
      2. as experts;
      3. as clergy or clerics;
      4. to enrol for education or training participants;
      5. to conduct scientific research;
      6. for reunion with a spouse who is a KITAS holder;
      7. for reunion of children of a foreign national with his/her Indonesian national father and/or mother who have a legal family relationship;
      8. for reunion of children under 18 year old and unmarried with his/her father and/or mother who are KITAS holders;
      9. as a foreigner who formerly held Indonesian nationality; and
      10. as a tourist over the age of 55 years. (Special condition apply to this category)
    2. A child who is born in Indonesian territory while his/her father and/or mother are KITAS holders.
    3. Ship captains, crew or any foreign scientists working on a marine vessel, floating structure or installation operating in Indonesian waters and its jurisdiction according the laws.
      [*]Foreigners who are married with an Indonesian spouse
      [*]Children of foreigners who are married with Indonesian spouse

Currently she is in HK working but will be back in Indonesia about a month before I get there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819