What type of jobs can I apply for

Expat1441

If on a spouse sponsored kitas what type of jobs can I apply for whilst living in Indonesia?

I know it's either a family business or job indonesians cant usually do but could someone elaborate on the types of jobs Indonesians cant do?

Also do I have to pay for IMTA work permit or is this something the employer would pay for?

Also if I have IMTA can I work in any job or only jobs that Indonesian citizens cant do?

Also if I have IMTA can I work in any job or only jobs that Indonesian citizens cant do?
There is an official list of jobs / sectors allowed / not allowed for foreigners.

Link has been posted here a few times already, but Google is your friend !

Basically, there are no jobs you can legally work in unless an employer springs for a IMTA in which you can only work in the specific business who got the IMTA for you. You can not go in and request and pay for one yourself and they are employer/job specific.

As for what jobs would be one that Indonesians can not do. The employers that apply for IMTAs normally apply them for upper management. As for family owned businesses, that conversation is normally pointing for individuals with spouse sponsored KITAP. Everything regarding KITAS is considered temporary where as a KITAP is perminate resident.

Basically, there are no jobs you can legally work in unless an employer springs for a IMTA in which you can only work in the specific business who got the IMTA for you. You can not go in and request and pay for one yourself and they are employer/job specific.

As for what jobs would be one that Indonesians can not do. The employers that apply for IMTAs normally apply them for upper management. As for family owned businesses, that conversation is normally pointing for individuals with spouse sponsored KITAP. Everything regarding KITAS is considered temporary where as a KITAP is perminate resident.
So it's not just teaching english jobs it's any job where the employer is looking for foreigners and offers an IMTA

So it's not just teaching english jobs it's any job where the employer is looking for foreigners and offers an IMTA
Yes, any job where an employer will get you a IMTA is OK but only for that job. You can not get an IMTA through one employer and work either primarily or as a second job without an IMTA from through that employer.

As for teaching English, I think now I see what is leading you to ask about this. I can not express myself more stronly than telling you that if you are considering an English tewching position, be very careful before ever signing a contract or even stepping inside that door. A lot of regulations to abide by and many employers that are willing to ignore them at the cost of the hired teacher. Know the laws. Abide by them.

Yes, any job where an employer will get you a IMTA is OK but only for that job. You can not get an IMTA through one employer and work either primarily or as a second job without an IMTA from through that employer.

As for teaching English, I think now I see what is leading you to ask about this. I can not express myself more stronly than telling you that if you are considering an English tewching position, be very careful before ever signing a contract or even stepping inside that door. A lot of regulations to abide by and many employers that are willing to ignore them at the cost of the hired teacher. Know the laws. Abide by them.
In terms of the regulations could you elaborate

I know about having to pay Tax (getting my tax documents too), kitas and IMTA

What else is there that I need to make sure employers do and not avoid or skip

Thank you for the help

Last edited:
I have a degree and A levels

Be more specific. You mentioned teaching. Do you have A levels in basket weaving and a degree in hacky sack?

You want answers, trying to help ya here kid. You need to provide details so we can tell you what you need.

Be more specific. You mentioned teaching. Do you have A levels in basket weaving and a degree in hacky sack?

You want answers, trying to help ya here kid. You need to provide details so we can tell you what you need.
I have A levels in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and AS level in History

I have a 2.2 bachelors degree in pharmaceutics

From the UK

No teaching qualifications though I could do tefl or save up and do the celta

I'm already in Indonesia and sorting out everything to get my spouse kitas

1. Good news you have subjects that are on just about every teaching job sight there is.

2. I would go with a TEFL/TESOL as one they are cheaper and easier to get ASAP than a CELTA. It all depends on your time frame of needing to work and your long term plans.

3. Use LinkedIn to your advantage and start making connections to network with. This will help you get your foot in the door and finding where to and not to apply at.

4. As much as I dislike the company, EF would be a good place to start to see if you even like teaching. They are supposed to get the ITM, but this depends on the center and the central office. Only issue here would be how close is it to where you live although I do know someone who will be hiring at on EF location.

5. If you are serious about teaching, try to get a minor in education, Masters in Education, MAT, or teaching qualifications if you don't want to be at a language school(pay of low compared to a National Plus school) long term. Again, this would be if you think you want to teach long term.

1. Good news you have subjects that are on just about every teaching job sight there is.

2. I would go with a TEFL/TESOL as one they are cheaper and easier to get ASAP than a CELTA. It all depends on your time frame of needing to work and your long term plans.

3. Use LinkedIn to your advantage and start making connections to network with. This will help you get your foot in the door and finding where to and not to apply at.

4. As much as I dislike the company, EF would be a good place to start to see if you even like teaching. They are supposed to get the ITM, but this depends on the center and the central office. Only issue here would be how close is it to where you live although I do know someone who will be hiring at on EF location.

5. If you are serious about teaching, try to get a minor in education, Masters in Education, MAT, or teaching qualifications if you don't want to be at a language school(pay of low compared to a National Plus school) long term. Again, this would be if you think you want to teach long term.
Thanks for all the information

I will have a go with Linkdln

I have applied to EF but no response yet (theres an EF centre about 10 min drive away)

Since I'm living in Indonesia would I have to abroad again to acquire a qualification in Education or could this be done within Indonesia?

What is an MAT?

MAT=Masters of Arts Teaching

You can get the qualifications online while you are in Indonesia. That is how I am doing my Masters.

EF claims to be competitive when it comes to salary, but they pay less than half of what you can make at a National Plus/Lower Tier International school.

Are you not required to have 5 years teaching experience to legally teach as an expat? I know EF is notorious for trying to skirt the rules but it is the employee that pays the cost if discovered.

I would think there are all kinds of shoddy employers out there for the OP since they will look at it with already having a kitas as a savings for them and won't need to try the, just use your visit visa while we work on your visa and IMTA.

A lot of expat employees are gone now. May be of benefit to finding something they can save with filling locally. At the same time, expats working stick out more too which could bring attention to them.

Are you not required to have 5 years teaching experience to legally teach as an expat? I know EF is notorious for trying to skirt the rules but it is the employee that pays the cost if discovered.

I would think there are all kinds of shoddy employers out there for the OP since they will look at it with already having a kitas as a savings for them and won't need to try the, just use your visit visa while we work on your visa and IMTA.

A lot of expat employees are gone now. May be of benefit to finding something they can save with filling locally. At the same time, expats working stick out more too which could bring attention to them.

I have heard different things about how much experience you have to have in relation with the government. One person at an international school told me it had to be 5 years and someone else said it was up to the school.

EF seems to get fresh grads all the time. I have heard some EF centers hiring people with tourist visas and not getting them the right visa before telling them they need to do a visa run. EF was supposed to process my ITM, but someone from the central office screwed up and then I never heard a thing about it.
When I was there. One academic manager said they liked people like me because I was on a spouse sponsored visa. So the OP won't have an issue once he gets a CELTA or TEFL. I know one persons till at EF and he is the only one I would send anyone to as he will make sure shit gets done. He also said EF's problem is there are a lot of people who think they are smarter than they really are.

Just out of interest what would be the expected salary of a teacher?

EF pays about 14j(this includes house allowance). You can get 25-50j+(excluding benefits) depending on the National Plus/International School, your experience, and qualifications.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back