What the Hell is Going On?

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
I used to enjoy telling people that here in Bandar Lampung the traffic was manageable and if there were delays, they were sort. Traffic did increase over the years with normal populatiin growth and the mayor tried to stay on top of it adding flyovers to busy intersections and over railroad lines that crossed some popular streets.

In the past 6 months things have just been going nuts. Traffic backed up all over the place all day long with no regard to the day of the week. Malls and cheaper restaurants packed. The people in the malls do way more walking than shopping and seem to find many things that are new to them. This pretty much indicates to me they are not from here.

I have been watching vehicle plates on mobils primarily and I can easily say that 20 % of the cars are barring A, F, D, and other plate alphabets with the majority being B. This is our problem, out of towners.
Too bad the police can't stop these cars and tell them to either go home or they have 48 hours to transfer their registrations to here. What the hell are they doing here? There are no jobs. Most seem to think they can drive however they want like they do where they came from. Not good. You can't drive on the highway any more with the trucks to and from the port and the increase in regular traffic too cheap to take that nice new toll road.

Just how does one get rid of these parasites? They are freaking every where.

No jobs, but people still want to get out of the house and explore.

Count yourself lucky that you had good traffic for awhile. In Bandung, it’s been bad for a very long time.

No jobs, but people still want to get out of the house and explore.

Count yourself lucky that you had good traffic for awhile. In Bandung, it’s been bad for a very long time.
If people went back to where they came from in the past 6 months, we would have good traffic again. If people were forced to change their registration, the sheer number of them would contribute greatly to the local economy.

A young Indonesian student in Australia has been rather negative about Lampung on social media (TikTok). He made a video in which he describes the issues and situation.

It went viral and obviously there was quite some polarization; the reactions were or very negative and threatening or more like he has a point.

Anyway, it got so bad he was even reported to the police. Who even visited his parents’ house in a very intimidating way.

Now he’s seriously considering applying for asylum. He was waiting for a police report (letter) which he planned to use as evidence. But it obviously did not arrive yet.

1681530511990.jpeg

I wasn’t aware they have a ‘Protection visa’ in Australia.

That's the problem and not just in Lampung. You offer constructive criticism and tell the truth about government doings and you get arrested and jailed. Families threatened and friends/followers intimidated. Much of what he referred to is spoken about in Lampung regularly. Theives still haunt the highways demanding payments from trucks and other vehicles. No police can be found on any street in a Sunday and Saturdays are almost as bad. Traffic laws are only enforced during some special nation wide program. The hand out enforcements continue regularly. People are murdered by mass beatings for stealing a chicken to feed a starving family. People are murdered for not giving some youths 100,000 Rupiah to buy alcohol. Roads have been neglected for over 2 years now. Begging at intersections has been increasing like crazy where before they were run off or removed. Traffic has been getting unbearable in some areas and you find cities filled with B and BG plates primarily. 1 in 2 vehicles if any type have expired plates. Budgets have been going up in all government areas but results of what those budgets are for can not be found. Many complaints that if you want to be considered for any government job, you better have relatives already employed by the government or some kind of important connections.

Plenty of things the government can be criticized for but they have unfair tools at their disposal to combat it. Unfortunate. I hope this guy continues to harass the government with criticism.

No, unlike what someone seems to think or expects others to think, I doubt it is for content or clout. There are people who actually care about their homes and are willing to face the criticism they get back. Just because some people like to think everyone is just like them, thankfully most are not.

Fastpitch, we will need your hp number and address, so the reeducation squad can pay you a visit! :)
They will need to talk faster than I or else risk their own reeducation. I confess, I am an American where criticizing wrongs won't get you breaking any laws unless you are lying. I look at it as, if we couldn't criticize, trump would still be in charge. Maybe like many I should just ignore what happens here and concentrate on the problems in the US because we all know there are many, especially in the red states. I like to think of myself as a multi facet criticizer.

Easy for him to criticize when he is not even in the country that's what I mean and yes that's the point.
But there's ways to bring attention and "criticise" without drama and making it all about him and how he suddenly needs a special visa to stay and live in Australia.

When the truth is that no one has harmed or contacted his family and no threats have been made or any police report done.

So let's see. If he was here personally and him and some students filled some potholes with noodles or something that would have the same effect rather than a kid on tiktok 5000km crying about how he needs a protection visa

Its his family who he endangers. Not himself

Easy for him to criticize when he is not even in the country that's what I mean and yes that's the point.
But there's ways to bring attention and "criticise" without drama and making it all about him and how he suddenly needs a special visa to stay and live in Australia.

When the truth is that no one has harmed or contacted his family and no threats have been made or any police report done.

So let's see. If he was here personally and him and some students filled some potholes with noodles or something that would have the same effect rather than a kid on tiktok 5000km crying about how he needs a protection visa

Pay attention. His family was contacted and the governor himself yelled and screamed at them personally. Afterwards others insisted they must apologize to the governor for their son's behavior and normally that would include some type of pressure. That is what they did. As for a police report, one should be generated since there was an official complaint submitted to them. He could have done or said many things if he was just looking for attention. Instead he directed his comments towards actual legitimate problems that exist in Lampung.

As you can read here, about 37.5% or 7,622 km from all roads in Lampung are in the somewhat to severely damaged categories.

This is based on official governmental (PUPR) data. So in fact he didn’t make it up and I don’t see why he was reported spreading fake news and hatred.

858de730-d9de-11ed-8df1-d74cbf1089d7.jpg

Now having said that, it can be much worse:

The National Roads with the highest category of ‘severe damage’ are in Central Kalimantan (12%), followed by West Papua (10.7%), Papua (10.5%), East Kalimantan (4.5%), Jambi (3,37%), Riau (3.1%), Maluku (3%), North Kalimantan (3%), North Maluku (2.5%), West Kalimantan (2%). Lampung is with 1,7% on the 13th position.

The Provincial Roads are doing very poorly and their numbers (percentages) are much higher. There Lampung scores 9.8%.

And on City Roads, Lampung scores 12.1%.

It is not easy for young Bima to criticize, as he is endangering his own family to tell obvious truths. Easy to give opinions from the expat bubble, without skin in the game.

Suddenly there is an onslaught of videos posting on various social medias by residents and the local medias as to road conditions in Lampung.
Posting videos too little, too late. One gets the politicians one deserves and with them 'the rides ... huh roads'.

Last edited:

Not really. The truth is still out there.

So Bima revealed through his personal Instagram that his parents in Indonesia received threats from the Lampung Provincial Government (Pemprov) and the local police. He said that his mother was visited by the police while in the office, while Bima's father who works as civil servant (ASN) and who is close to his pension, was called to the Regent of East Lampung. Where he was roasted.

And Bima's parents were also visited by the police at their house. On that occasion, he said, the police asked for various personal private data. They requested his elementary, junior high, high school diploma’s, even asked for his debit card to get access to his bank accounts to make sure if he was not sponsored by any party. Wow 😳

The Lampung Regional Police claims the Bhayangkara Corps personnel only came there to ensure the safety of the Bima family.

So one is lying but it’s not so difficult to figure out who. Let’s see how this turns out.

Link Artikel : https://www.viva.co.id/berita/nasio...ortu-bima-pengkritik-lampung-dapat-intimidasi

6423f6ecf2f90-mahfud-md-hadiri-rdp-dengan-komisi-iii-dpr-terkait-349-triliun_1265_711.jpg

The Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs (Menkopolhukam) Mahfud MD, said Bima has a constitutional right to criticize the development of infrastructure in Lampung.

I see this story now in the midday TV news. While it may be a little reassuring that the Menkopolhukim has said , "Bima has a constitutional right to criticize the development of infrastructure in Lampung." Given the range of serious issues it would be better if a major enquiry were got under way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819