What do you think of my Visa strategy?

atoopi

I first thought to get a 60 day visa in advance, $50, but then I changed my mind and decided why spend the $50 when I can enter for free with the visa-free method, 30 days at a time, and then book a flight to Malaysia (Malacca, Ipoh from Medan) and spend a week there, and come back again to get a new 30 days visa-free.

The second reason I thought this visa-free approach is better is then I wouldn't need to bother with extensions, which require visiting (and staying) in a city, which I prefer to avoid, like Medan. The third reason is the the cost of the extension.

A 2nd strategy involves arriving with the 60 day visa in advance, and then flying out to Malaysia (Kuching) and since they have an Indonesian consulate, applying for a new 60 day visa in advance and then flying back in for a new 60 days. Basically the same approach as the visa-free method, but this time for 60 days, and the added $50 visa in advance.

Last edited:
$50 would be very cheap for a flight and week in Malaysia. (I guess you could also take the ferry which is cheaper).

So from solely a money perspective it does not seem to make a lot of sense. But if you feel better by seeing more places and not having to extend, why not?

How long would you want to keep this up? An extension is not so bad as you might think.

The second scenario doesn't make a lot of sense, then you'd also spend two days visiting the embassy/consulate abroad, the same as in Indonesia. (The only possible advantage is it could be done without sponsor/guarantor.)

Last edited:
Aren't flight from Medan to Ipoh or Medan to Malacca really cheap? Like $25, and with all the extras, coming out to $50. I don't have to pay for accommodation in these places as I have friends to stay with, so it's just a matter of the cost of flights.

I suppose it was the hanging around in cities for 3-5 days and running errands for the visa extension that turned me since I am not really interested in visiting cities in general. I just like to come to the city for the airport and to pick up a SIM card, etc...So that is why the 2 options are visa-free (30 days) or visa in advance (60 day). I never considered the extension option. Really, I don't see the benefit of extensions. But yes, the 60 day approach does also involve runs to the embassy, so perhaps the 30 day visa free approach is best.

Overall, I'd like to spend 6 months in Indonesia. If they allowed me, I'd spend 6 continuous months in the wet season just traveling everywhere, but I don't know how that works vs my idea of flying in/out every 30 days. I know about the social visa and how it can be extended 4 times (to a max. of 6 months) and it another option in the back of my mind, but I thought I'd start easy with the visa-free option.

The 2 approaches are back to back visa-free or back to back visa in advance.

I guess if the visa in advance approach doesn't work at any given consulate, I can always revert to the visa-free approach.

I will go wherever the Air Asia connections are cheapest. Always under $50. I think there is an Indonesian consulate in Songkla, for example. I could try to get a 60 day visa in advance there and if not, just enter visa-free again.

I thought one approach would be cheaper than the other, but they do seem to add up to be the same, except for a small difference. See below.

Visa-free approach: Fly out ($50) Fly in ($50) = $100 every 30 days. So I pay nothing in visa fees, but $100 to Air Asia every month.

Visa in advance approach: Fly out ($50) Visa in advance ($50) Fly in ($50) = $150 every 60 days or $75/month. This approach is $25 cheaper, but have to run errands to the embassy and possibly other hassles? Is that worth $25 in savings? This approach my money per month goes to Air Asia ($50) and Indonesia Immigration ($25).

I use a 1 year social business visa that allows me to stay in Indonesia for 60 days at one time. It cost about $120 USD for a years worth of visits. So I leave to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore every 7 weeks, stay a few days and return. It works for me.

Don't assume flights are always so cheap, they can randomly suddenly increase and with all the add ons they certainly are not $50 anymore
Yes it says "from" $50 but sometimes that can double with the taxes. Add on the return
Plus taxi to and from airport etc etc

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back