What compact SUV should I buy?

Vulgarian

Mrs Vulgy loves compact SUVs, so a compact SUV we shall have. But which one?

We currently drive a 2015 Honda HRV and are looking to update. I reckon I could get 220-250jt for it (well-maintained, 50 thou on the clock) and I'm not averse to spending the same again on a new car, so let's say a budget of 500jt.

Mostly Jakarta driving with the odd road trip now and then. No driver, we drive ourselves.

Probably looking at buying new, unless there's a compelling reason for a used car I haven't considered.

Mazda CX-3? Or CX-30? Or is the CX-5 worth breaking my budget for? Base model Fortuner? Or are the new Honda HRVs worth a look a look? Do we have the new hybrid models yet?

Come forth, car blokes of Expat Indo, and pontificate!

No idea about Mazda. HRVs are good cars. Fortuners are meh.

You should also look into Hyundai Creta. They are competing head-to-head with HRV, with an attractive price point. Hyundai just opened a factory in Indonesia and is aggressively marketing that car right now.

Hyundai Kona is a direct competitor to the HR-V here in America, but unfortunately its gasoline model has been discontinued in Indonesia. I have the turbo model, and it’s a zippy little car. Probably useless in jalan macet though. It has less room than the HR-V, but again, faster for the same price.

The CX-3 is a tiny car with even less room than the Kona, so considerably more cramped than the HR-V. If you’re considering Mazda, the CX-30 is better.

The newest HR-V RS comes with a 177 HP turbo engine in Indonesia. If they sell this in USA, I would have bought it (for the right price). Worth a look.

My wife and I have a BRV. Actually like it better than an HRV even though it's a step down. Nephew has a CX 5 that he likes but does complain about routine service costs.

HR-V again, eh? I must admit that I don't love the one I've got. Unresponsive engine and rattly suspension.

But maybe that's what I deserve for being a middle aged man buying a compact SUV.

Maybe a turbo will distract me from my mortality.

You should have got the pokey one. Prestige etc that's pretty nippy

1648278638923.png

2016 I paid 372jt for a Prestige
So 2022 and 438jt is about right
If you can get 250 for yours that's good

You should have got the pokey one. Prestige etc that's pretty nippy
You're not wrong, I did cheap out last time.

I was mourning the loss of my Mitsubishi Galant and I came over all petulant. "No point spending the extra 100 mill, it's going to be crap either way", sort of attitude.

The upshot of that little fit of pouting, of course, has been that I've spent the last 7 years with a car I haven't enjoyed. Trying not to make the same mistake twice, hence the thread.

I'll give the new HR-V a test ride soon, as well as the MX-30 and the Creta.

I’m basically middle aged too, and I’ve been enjoying my turbo. A 1.5 liter CUV is a point-a-to-point-b vehicle, a 1.5 liter turbo CUV is a smile inducing toy. With that spec I estimate 0-100 Kph around 7 seconds, which puts it in the neighborhood of far more expensive cars like the BMW X2 and Mini Cooper S. It’s not gonna be as fast because the transmission is a stinking CVT, but it’ll be enough to press your back against the seat at full throttle.

6F39DB9D-DC24-4600-B033-E3E30117499B.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m basically middle aged too, and I’ve been enjoying my turbo. A 1.5 liter CUV is a point-a-to-point-b vehicle, a 1.5 liter turbo CUV is a smile inducing toy. With that spec I estimate 0-100 Kph around 7 seconds, which puts it in the neighborhood of far more expensive cars like the BMW X2 and Mini Cooper S. It’s not gonna be as fast because the transmission is a stinking CVT, but it’ll be enough to press your back against the seat at full throttle.

View attachment 2452

Yes, those little turbo engines are great.

I drive a 2014 Golf VW Mk 6 TSI with a 1.4L Turbo engine and love it to bits. Bought it in 2020 with not even 40K on the odo for 130 mill.

Yes, those little turbo engines are great.

I drive a 2014 Golf VW Mk 6 TSI with a 1.4L Turbo engine and love it to bits. Bought it in 2020 with not even 40K on the odo for 130 mill.
Sounds like a great deal!

In USA 1.4L (even with Turbo) sounds low, but in Jakarta you’ll be outrunning 95% of cars on the road, probably. It’s roughly equivalent to a naturally-aspirated 2.0L engine.

I shied away from VW because repair cost is high over here. Did you have to spend much on repairs?

Sounds like a great deal!

In USA 1.4L (even with Turbo) sounds low, but in Jakarta you’ll be outrunning 95% of cars on the road, probably. It’s roughly equivalent to a naturally-aspirated 2.0L engine.

I shied away from VW because repair cost is high over here. Did you have to spend much on repairs?
So far no repairs. The previous owner did though, which considering how low the odometer was is surprising. Apparently had some issues with electronics related to the gearbox.

All I've done so far is the routine servicing which I insist on doing at VW but I keep a close eye on what they're doing to the car and remover any unnecessary items they try to add on.

This TSI engine is fast, especially because the car is small. When I flip it into sport mode or switch to triptronic, it pushes hard! Harder even than the 2.5L engine in my CX-5.

So far no repairs. The previous owner did though, which considering how low the odometer was is surprising. Apparently had some issues with electronics related to the gearbox.

All I've done so far is the routine servicing which I insist on doing at VW but I keep a close eye on what they're doing to the car and remover any unnecessary items they try to add on.

This TSI engine is fast, especially because the car is small. When I flip it into sport mode or switch to triptronic, it pushes hard! Harder even than the 2.5L engine in my CX-5.
Yeah, late VW cars don’t have the greatest reputation for reliability, so you gotta be vigilant. I had expensive issues with my Passat and Jetta, so I’m leaning to other brands today. They are fun though, the Golf defines the Hot Hatch category.

Now imagine the 2014 GTI model sold here. Same size but with 2.0L turbo generating 200 horses. I was tempted, but walked away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinYao