Wake Up Indonesia

Preventing millions of now unemployed people from leaving Jakarta doesn't seem like a good idea either. Not sure what the best answer is.

whatever it is one thing for sure- too little too late.

whatever it is one thing for sure- too little too late.
In fairness Indonesia isn't the only country caught off guard - this is a once in a generation type of an event which few saw coming, and fewer were prepared for, except perhaps those countries like Taiwan who had a dress rehearsal in SARS.

In absolute fairness they have known about it since January...

In absolute fairness they have known about it since January...
I do not fault the government for failing to act in January... most of the world assumed COVID19 would just be another flu-type virus, albeit a slightly more dangerous one and due to seasonality would not be that big of a concern for tropical countries. In hindsight, the semi-lockdown should have happened sooner and been taken more seriously, but it is never an easy call to demolish a significant portion of the economy - especially when there are radicals who look for any excuse to demand "khilafa".

I've read several articles wherein it is claimed scientists have predicted some kind of epidemic would hit for several years now. Nobody took them serious, or the countries claimed they were ready (USA..).

I'm handling a lot of US citizens in my job, quite a few actually prefer to stay in Indonesia compared to the shitshow in the US at the moment.

Interesting thing is that first case in New York and in Jakarta were almost on the same date-March 2nd.

Where is NY now and where is Jakarta now. There are no dozens of thousands of patients in Jakarta in need for ventilators, like in NY. What is the reason? Jakarta is 40% slums, should be much more spread and much more dead. NY has 350 dead till now and Jakarta around 50.

There isn't really any good option.
I've read several articles wherein it is claimed scientists have predicted some kind of epidemic would hit for several years now. Nobody took them serious, or the countries claimed they were ready (USA..).

I'm handling a lot of US citizens in my job, quite a few actually prefer to stay in Indonesia compared to the shitshow in the US at the moment.

The movie Contagion was actually made in consultation with an expert in the field: Larry Brilliant.

He warned of an epidemic of this scale back in 2006. And that movie is eerily similar to what's happening around the world right now.

You can read more here: https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/

Interesting thing is that first case in New York and in Jakarta were almost on the same date-March 2nd.

Where is NY now and where is Jakarta now. There are no dozens of thousands of patients in Jakarta in need for ventilators, like in NY. What is the reason? Jakarta is 40% slums, should be much more spread and much more dead. NY has 350 dead till now and Jakarta around 50.

Which does make you think, even if the government is hiding the real figures, an outbreak on a scale as the US would be difficult to hide with all the social media here..

A doctor friend of mine said that all the ICU beds in Jakarta are already occupied. If you come down with a severe case of COVID-19 in the city and need a ventilator, your survival chance is not high.

Which does make you think, even if the government is hiding the real figures, an outbreak on a scale as the US would be difficult to hide with all the social media here..

With all social media in Indonesia, it would be hard to hide the number of dead people.

Maybe the virus is spreading slower, but even if it spreads slower, it will spread anyway. I read somewhere Ro for a hot and humid climate is only 1,5.

At Burger King, the worker preparing your Whopper is talking and laughing. He is not wearing a mask or anything in case saliva spits out. Still wanna eat that burger?

Just venting... I won't mind in other times, but during this time :mmph:, it destroys my appetite.

Last edited:
Most now wear those anti spitting masks which you put on your chin.

I know quite some people here who state they have been sick the previous months. Coughing often I ncluding fever. They thought it was a cold, the flu, whatever.

There's another huge shipment of medical equipment coming from China. As well as a team of doctors. They just boarded.

Most now wear those anti spitting masks which you put on your chin.

Maybe in Jakarta... but not in smaller cities.

There's another huge shipment of medical equipment coming from China. As well as a team of doctors. They just boarded.

China has been sending aid to many countries, and they are very much appreciated by the recipient countries. Hopefully, Indonesia will be grateful as well. And not politicize and downplay it like what happened with the recent arrival of medical supplies from China where speculations include rumors that it was purchased by the government or by Prabowo himself using his own money.

The unions are seriously considering demonstrations to demand the full THR (the 'Lebaran' bonus) and full wages since some employers seem to (want to) lower the amount.

In fairness Indonesia isn't the only country caught off guard - this is a once in a generation type of an event which few saw coming.
You should see Bill Gates' TED Talk from 2015. He predicted it almost exactly.

[he thought it would be flu not coronavirus]

What is amazing in a country as Italy, is that the numbers don't add up. Currently there are already 7.500 Corona related fatalities.

However, now they found out that the reporting has been extremely inaccurate. For instance, a community of 12.000 inhabitants reports 31. The mayor and staff member checked and it seems their average for that period is 35. And in reality, now 158 died. So you could say that the number logically would be 123.

In other towns the same situation; some have a mortality amount which is up to 6.1 times bigger than normal. Still, the reported Corona numbers were in line with other years.

Pure guesswork.

And over here?

History will tell us all a lot re numbers and governments.
For now we have to do what we can to get through this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back