Wait, it's raining?

Puspawarna

Cager
I was listening to National Public Radio in my car a while ago and they mentioned that Jakarta has been experiencing the worst rain/flooding in a decade. Not sure how I didn't know this. How is everybody doing?

They said something like 62,000 people needed to be evacuated. I can only imagine the suffering :(

Yes it's bad. The weather will get worse till beginning of Feb but the government has started cloud seeding so hopefully they will be able to keep it under control.

I'm fine, my area is not flooded at all but Thursday I couldn't access my office in Kebon Jeruk.

My wife’s family house in Bekasi has been flooded since New Years day. Last I heard, about 1.5 meters of water inside the house.

It‘s had water in the garage before, but never in the house. Worst flooding for 30 years that they’ve owned it.
AF1322FE-0E26-4068-9231-9EAE071402DF.jpeg

Here‘s one from a day previous. My wife and her high school group has been handing out about 100 meal boxes a day to the residents.

Attachments

• E6773C3C-92E5-4A17-BBE0-BAEAE3E9FB22.jpeg
    E6773C3C-92E5-4A17-BBE0-BAEAE3E9FB22.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 300
Hard to get any roof work done. Our last segment of termite damaged roof is read for replacement, but on hold for the time being. Besides that, our full time tukang is out and about doing roof leak repair work for friends and relatives -- our friends and family as well as his.

It's still a mess. Sister in law had to be evacuated by rubber boat, the rest of the family could leave by horse with cart, the army or fire brigade trucks, or their L200's.

They said something like 62,000 people needed to be evacuated.

More than 360,000 people had to leave their homes and find shelter in bus stations, shelters, public buildings, etc. That excludes the thousands who had the means and possibilities to go somewhere else as to family.

Worst flooding for 30 years that they’ve owned it.

The last real biggie was in 2012.

After Ahok took over, it was improving a lot. Now we have a ahem great governor who can talk well and blames the central government, but who is stubborn as a donkey, just more lazy. He thinks he knows everything; you see that on the refusal of reclamation of the land for the islands, not taking the loss of ground water serious, avoiding taking action on cleaning the rivers (normalisasi), etc. And that will probably go for president....

Last edited:
I don't like cursing. But the gakbener is "guoblok buanget"
No, it is not mistype.

Fortunately my wife's family didn't get flooded but it sure looks like misery for a lot of people.

It seems the next two days (8th and 9th) are considered risky because the soil is saturated and the outlet possibility towards the sea does not seem optimal....

IMG_8264.jpg

Worst ever at least in my neighborhood...my dad raised our garage floor after the last flood, by almost 80 cm i thought that was an overkill...well, this past flood at its worst, water was about half way up to the tires. Inside the house we're not that lucky. About 50 cm in the house...took about three days and seven people to clean.

Family still cleaning. The big problem now is the (river) smell in the sofas etc. Those specialized companies who can do mattresses etc. are rather busy.

And now Surabaya :( But they seem to have it under control by cleaning the drainage now. One of the reasons for the flooding was that there was too much waste (plastik, etc.) which stopped the drainage's water flow.
Maybe this flooding will change people's mind about their disposal of waste...

We'll visit Bali next week. Hopefully not much rain or at least Tulamben and padang bai still diveable.

Hmm, so so.

IMG_8306.jpg

Now it has become one of those traditional rainy seasons; sun, bit of rain, sun, dark clouds, thunderstorm, sun, ...

Hmm, so so.

View attachment 1233

Now it has become one of those traditional rainy seasons; sun, bit of rain, sun, dark clouds, thunderstorm, sun, ...
Let see, rain is not really big deal as long as no river flooding which will affect viz.
Don't like thunderstorm.

Kemayoran has dried up but in JakSel still quite some problem areas.

In the mean time our great governor blames next to the central government Bogor. Obviously. And he states the children enjoy the water, so what's the problem?

Today....

And they expect quite some rain again tonight in JakUt.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819