VITAS/KITAS/KITAP for Ex-Indonesian

bntr-ab

Hi there - I am an Australian citizen looking to stay in Indonesia long term for a family reason. I have googled around and assumed VITAS/KITAS/KITAP 318 is the option for my case.

For my case, would it be possible to start the application of VITAS in Australia? If I understand the process correctly, once I obtained a VITAS, I would be able to convert this to KITAS. Then, for 318, I would be able to apply for KITAP directly. Is this correct?

Also, I read in some other forum, a letter/statement about revoking Indonesian citizenship is required for 318 application. Is this correct? I am not sure how to obtain this letter or if this letter is required for the application.

Hoping someone here has gone through this process and can share the experience :)

Hi there - I am an Australian citizen looking to stay in Indonesia long term for a family reason. I have googled around and assumed VITAS/KITAS/KITAP 318 is the option for my case.

For my case, would it be possible to start the application of VITAS in Australia? If I understand the process correctly, once I obtained a VITAS, I would be able to convert this to KITAS. Then, for 318, I would be able to apply for KITAP directly. Is this correct?

Also, I read in some other forum, a letter/statement about revoking Indonesian citizenship is required for 318 application. Is this correct? I am not sure how to obtain this letter or if this letter is required for the application.

Hoping someone here has gone through this process and can share the experience :)

If you are an ex-WNI, and can prove this, then you can indeed apply for KITAS. A VITAS is a visa (a document that allows entry into a country) that is convertible into a KITAS, which is a stay permit. You will also require a WNI sponsor, can be any WNI family member. They can start the VITAS process online (similar to this one: https://www.expatindo.org/online-kitas-application-procedure/), and choose an Indonesian consulate near you to process the VITAS. When you enter you will have to report within 7 days 30 days to your local immigration offices to convert VITAS to KITAS.

You can then directly apply for KITAP, and some forum members have successfully done so. However, the KITAS is good for 1 year, so there is no rush.

If you are applying for KITAS based on ex-WNI status, then you will need to prove that your Indonesian citizenship has been revoked/given up. This is the letter that is required.

Last edited:
Hello - I have made some progress with my plan..

At this stage, I have received PEMBERITAHUAN PERSETUJUAN VISA C-318 letter - is this the telex visa? I contacted the Consulate General in Melbourne and the staff informed me that I have to bring this letter along with a return ticket so they could process the visa. Is this correct? My initial plan was actually to have an one-way ticket to enter Indonesia.

Also, is there any time limit restriction for me to enter Indonesia? I have searched the internet on this topic and I have seen two different responses. Some suggested that I would need to enter Indonesia 60 days after the Consulate General issues the visa, but some mentioned that I would need to enter Indonesia 60 days after the letter was issued (PEMBERITAHUAN PERSETUJUAN VISA C-318 letter).

Hoping I could get some more information from some experts here....

At this stage, I have received PEMBERITAHUAN PERSETUJUAN VISA C-318 letter - is this the telex visa? I contacted the Consulate General in Melbourne and the staff informed me that I have to bring this letter along with a return ticket so they could process the visa. Is this correct? My initial plan was actually to have an one-way ticket to enter Indonesia.

Also, is there any time limit restriction for me to enter Indonesia? I have searched the internet on this topic and I have seen two different responses. Some suggested that I would need to enter Indonesia 60 days after the Consulate General issues the visa, but some mentioned that I would need to enter Indonesia 60 days after the letter was issued (PEMBERITAHUAN PERSETUJUAN VISA C-318 letter).

Congratulations on the progress. Yes, that means your application has been approved by Jakarta. In a time before internet, this was sent via telex to the consulate, and the name stuck. Yes, this is the telex visa.

A one way ticket should be sufficient, since you are on a year long visa which is extendable indefinitely. I would double check with the staff at the CG, explaining that you plan on staying in Indonesia and hence just a one way ticket.

Once you go to the CG, they will apply a visa stamp on your passport. It will have the validity of the visa printed on it. You should enter Indonesia before this date.

Hey bntr-ab,

Wow, we are on the same boat. I am a few weeks away from starting my KITAS c318 and then to KITAP application. The single entry VITAS has 60 days validity from the day of issue (not the Telex date).

regarding the letter of revoking citizenship, I have heard various opinions regarding this. But, the latest info I got is that the letter can be issued from Dusdikcapil in Indonesia (untested info). All you need is the letter from your local consulate stating that your passport had been surrendered and that you are currently the citizen of another country.

I am hoping to process my SKTT early may, finger crossed that letter won't be necessary.

I have been following your thread and I am now a bit confused about my Immigration status so maybe some of the followers can help me. I just got a 1 year unlimited visa to Indonesia. I started with vitas so I now have Itas,,, I think. I had to go to Singapore and then visit Immigration here in Jogya. Can anyone tell me what Kitas is, is it just an ID card? I don't understand the 30 days to convert vitas to Kitas. Any help understanding these terms would be appreciated,,,,James

I have been following your thread and I am now a bit confused about my Immigration status so maybe some of the followers can help me. I just got a 1 year unlimited visa to Indonesia. I started with vitas so I now have Itas,,, I think. I had to go to Singapore and then visit Immigration here in Jogya. Can anyone tell me what Kitas is, is it just an ID card? I don't understand the 30 days to convert vitas to Kitas. Any help understanding these terms would be appreciated,,,,James

A VITAS is a Visa (permit to enter), that is pre-approved to be an ITAS (a permit to stay). So a VITAS becomes an ITAS when you report to immigration after you arrive. You have 30 days to do this after entry.

ITAS is short for Ijin Tinggal Sementara, sometimes translated as a Temporary Stay Permit, and is normally valid for 1 year, although shorter and longer version exist. You should check the stamp in your passport to see exactly the validity of your permit. It should be a blue stamp, titled "Limited Stay & Re-Entry" along with the date issued and the expiration date.

A KITAS stands for Kartu Ijin Tinggal Sementara, and is an ID card issued to ITAS holders. It is virtually useless, you should just keep it stapled to your passport.

As these things are quite similar, people use VITAS/KITAS/ITAS interchangeably, although they are separate things.

Can anyone tell me what Kitas is, is it just an ID card?

KITAS is a card, but not really a universally accepted ID card.

There are (two different types of) ID cards, which as such have nothing to do with KITAS or KITAP but which are necessary to obtain.

For KITAS it is called SKTT. For KITAP it is a KTP OA. These look similar to the ID (KTP) that Indonesians have, and can be obtained at the civil registry after you’ve done the path at Immigration.

A VITAS is a Visa (permit to enter), that is pre-approved to be an ITAS (a permit to stay). So a VITAS becomes an ITAS when you report to immigration after you arrive. You have 30 days to do this after entry.

ITAS is short for Ijin Tinggal Sementara, sometimes translated as a Temporary Stay Permit, and is normally valid for 1 year, although shorter and longer version exist. You should check the stamp in your passport to see exactly the validity of your permit. It should be a blue stamp, titled "Limited Stay & Re-Entry" along with the date issued and the expiration date.

A KITAS stands for Kartu Ijin Tinggal Sementara, and is an ID card issued to ITAS holders. It is virtually useless, you should just keep it stapled to your passport.

As these things are quite similar, people use VITAS/KITAS/ITAS interchangeably, although they are separate things.

May I ask some question? My husband just got working KITAS for 1 year. My question is What kind of visa I need to apply for me and our son. I'm holding social visa and will expire on 12th next month. Thank you

May I ask some question? My husband just got working KITAS for 1 year. My question is What kind of visa I need to apply for me and our son. I'm holding social visa and will expire on 12th next month. Thank you

Hi Anny,

Family members of working KITAS holders can also receive KITAS. The application should be done by the sponsor (ie, the company your husband is working for).

One correction, you have 30 days after entry to convert the VITAS to KITAS.
A what if I want to only stay 8 month I have visa C317 and I don't want to make KITAS because I dont need it.

Is it possible because the stuff in imigration can only say that normally procedure is make kitas but when you ask them if I need the email is silence.

If you enter with C317 you have to make a KITAS 30 days upon entry. You can make a 6-month or 1-year KITAS.

If you enter with C317 you have to make a KITAS 30 days upon entry. You can make a 6-month or 1-year KITAS.
Thank you for replying.

So for what is there written "maximum stay 12 month"

Can i check this rule somwhere in the law?

Can i check this rule somwhere in the law?

It's a two stage process. You get a VITAS to enter the country, and within 30 days you must turn it into an (electronic) KITAS.

Notifications:
  1. To extend a stay permit you must provide your previous KITAS (limited stay permit card) with your file application
  2. A limited stay permit application must be filed by a foreigner or guarantor by filling out the application form and attaching the requirements and submitted to the head of the immigration office or to the immigration officer whose jurisdiction includes the residence of the foreigner;
  3. The Limited stay permit application by a foreigner who enters Indonesia with a limited stay visa must be submitted within 30 days after arrival;
  4. In the event that the limited stay permit has not been filed within 30 days, the foreigner will be considered as overstaying;
  5. Extension of limited stay permit is granted by the head of the immigration office whose jurisdiction incorporates the foreigner/applicant’s residence for a maximum 1 year at a time and for a maximum 5 times;
  6. A foreigner who applies for conversion from another permit category to a limited stay permit must obtain an approval letter from the office of the Directorate General of Immigration before being issued a KITAS.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging
Back