Visa requirements 5 years teaching experience

tobiasG

Hey,

Looking to move to Bali to teach. I have 4 and 1/2 years teaching experience full time, 1/2 a year working full time as a release teacher, and then 1 year teaching a substitute teacher. Is this enough to qualify for the 5 years full time experience?

Thanks in advance for any help!

What's your nationality and what do you want to teach

I can tell you, everyone is applying for teaching jobs in Bali, left, right, center, sideways, etc... so it is going to be tough. Plus the pay isn't going to be as high as other areas. Schools can afford to be picky on who they hire and with the salaries they pay due to the demand.

Now in Jakarta, you should be able to find a primary teaching job at an international school with no problem.

Your years of experience should be enough, but two other things to consider: Do you have a teaching certification in NZ and what is your highest education level/what is your BA in?

I guess it's not the most original idea! Good to keep that in mind.

I do have a current certification to teach in NZ and I got a BSc in Geography and development studies followed with a post grad in primary school teaching.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

5 years of experience can be cumulative from several employers. You have to prove that with reference letters and to have min BA.

You have to be a native speaker, so being from NZ for English would be appropriate.

... being from NZ for English would be appropriate.

The accent might get in the way. (;) joking!)

Don't forget about age restrictions tobiasG, though with 5 years work experience you're probably still young.

Good luck!

I guess it's not the most original idea! Good to keep that in mind.

I do have a current certification to teach in NZ and I got a BSc in Geography and development studies followed with a post grad in primary school teaching.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Just based on your posts, you'll have several options:

-Primary(1-6) or Secondary(7-12)
-Geography
-English
-Global Perspectives
-The subject you are currently teaching

And also be happy to make $2,000 a month and pay your own accomodation etc

Not that different from a lot of entry level US teachers. Cost of living in Indonesia should be a lot lower.

I know I’d rather have 2k a month in Bali than Flint, Michigan.
2K a month is pretty much upper middle class. It's value depends on where you live. Jakarta sucks income with it's prices for everything. No so bad in other places and great in some.

Haha at times i can hide the accent.

In regards to reference letters I'm only worried about my last 1/2 year in which i was a release teacher at one school (they will be able to provide a reference) - a little different to full time. Is it a case by case thing - maybe some flexibility?

Not to bothered with the money , more for a life style and ability for me and my partner to work on other business ideas

Not to bothered with the money , more for a life style and ability for me and my partner to work on other business ideas

I thought teaching is a full time job? Preparing classes, syllabus, curriculum, marking tests etc etc?
Not sure if it's part time?
Maybe PT jobs available? No idea
Most teachers here are complaining about being over worked.
And schools generally make you sign a contract so if your new biz plan idea takes off you might not be able to just resign like that without paying something back to the school.
Plus they would cancel your visa

So a lot to consider

It depends on if you are breaking the contract. If you are on a one year contract and decide you don't want to return, finish up the year. No issues apart from needing a new visa.

Now if say during the middle of the year/contract you decide 'stuff this. I'm out', then you would pay anywhere from 30j to 3 months of your salary. This will depend on what your contract says.

lol definitely not planning on breaking any contracts... and hoping I can make time to work on other stuff. Lets to jump to far ahead

The accent might get in the way. (;) joking!)

Don't forget about age restrictions tobiasG, though with 5 years work experience you're probably still young.

Good luck!
Goes both ways. Minimum age = 28

Just based on your posts, you'll have several options:

-Primary(1-6) or Secondary(7-12)
-Geography
-English
-Global Perspectives
-The subject you are currently teaching
Actually, he may not be able to teach primary because his BA is Science/Geography.

Also the 5 years experience must be of the same level you intend to teach (primary or secondary, cannot be a combo) and after you completed your teaching certificate.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back