Visa on arrival versus Visa exempt?

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Hi Folks,

I did a search but couldn't find the correct answer. Can someone helpful please confirm my understanding?

I'm due to visit Indonesia for about 6 weeks this summer.

I think that the visa exempt option (EU or Aussie passport) allows me 30 days only, and thus will require a trip to Singapore mid way through my holiday. And I will need proof of exit when I arrive on a one way flight from Europe.

However, if I apply for a visa I can get 60 days? For $35. Is that possible through Visa on Arrival or does it need to be done in advance. Or is it 2x 30days? And I need to visit Immigration at day 30 to get that extension ?

TIA.

VOA is 30 days, and can be extended another 30 days.
I did it on my first visit. A bit of a hassle as 2 trips to immigration are required.

Visa exemption can not be extended.

Here only 2 years, so some other BM may have other suggestions ?

I think the VOA has changed to pricing in IDR instead of USD since April. 500k, maybe?

Unless you wish to jet out of the country, paying 2x the 30 day fee, including multiple trips for the renewal is your primary option.

Overstay fees are now 1jt per day.

Thanks both.

I think the VOA has changed to pricing in IDR instead of USD since April. 500k, maybe?

Unless you wish to jet out of the country, paying 2x the 30 day fee, including multiple trips for the renewal is your primary option.

Overstay fees are now 1jt per day.

500 for visa on arrival sounds about right. I didn't realise it's another 500 for an extension.

Still slightly cheaper and slightly more convenient than a Sing trip. Though I have a place and friends to share a beer with there...

VOA is 30 days, and can be extended another 30 days.
I did it on my first visit. A bit of a hassle as 2 trips to immigration are required.

Visa exemption can not be extended.

Here only 2 years, so some other BM may have other suggestions ?

Local immigration or at the airport or the main one in Jakarta?

In the end it might be cheaper to get a single entry socio cultural visit visa. And you're off the hook during your whole trip.

Valid 60 days and €50 only. Two trips necessary to your KBRI or Indonesian consulate in Europe. Normally it takes 5 working days, you need* a sponsor letter+copy of KTP and bank statements. (But that is nothing special; it would also be necessary for an extension! And then the sponsor even has to join you.)

They offer the opportunity to fill in the form online before your visit. Well, in fact they want you to. It's all very easy.

* if you're a foreigner in the country where you apply (e.g. Australian in a European country) you also need a proof of residency.

Last edited:
Visa exempt free 30 days
Voa $35 or 500rb 30 days can extend another 30 from local immigration (not airport one). Costs about a million and DIY takes couple of trips

Works out roughly the same as a flight anyway if u shop around unless u have time to waste going to Immi office 2 times. Agents can do it.

So it's time vs money. Flights are cheap but don't forget taxi etc
Or extend it here. Agent can do it if ur lazy but u still have to go at least once

.....unless u have time to waste going to Immi office 2 times. Agents can do it. ......
Do you still need to go to Immigration Office at least one time as they need to take applicant's fingerprint (if an agent is used) ?

Last edited:
Yes u have to go in person at least once for pic and fingerprint

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back