Video of dogs butchered at Indonesian market sparks outrage

vocalneal

Cager
Video of dogs butchered at Indonesian market sparks outrage
JAKARTA (AFP) - Disturbing video footage of dogs being butchered and their hair burnt off with blowtorches at markets in Indonesia has prompted howls of protest from animal rights activists.

Campaigners from the Dog Meat-Free Indonesia group are urging authorities to shut down the country's live animal markets, where they say thousands of dogs and cats are bludgeoned to death each week.

Video filmed by the activists at markets in Tomohon and Langowan cities on Sulawesi island shows a stomach-churning array of burnt, mutilated animals - including monkeys, cats and bats - being sold openly.

Among the most disturbing images is footage of dogs being clobbered to death and blow-torched in the street amid the rows of grubby stalls.

Dogs packed cheek by jowl inside tiny cages appear to tremble and whimper as they watch what is going on around them.

Lola Webber, from the Dog Meat-Free coalition, described the market as "like walking through hell".

However, that hasn't stopped it becoming a popular tourist destination.

The group is now calling for the Indonesian government to put an end to the brutal trade.

"The tourist board's slogan of a 'Wonderful Indonesia' rings hollow when you've gazed into the eyes of a dog spattered with blood and shaking with fear," Bobby Fernando of Animal Friends Jogja said.

"We need the world to join us in calling for an end to Indonesia's dog and cat meat trade."

The vast majority of Muslim-majority Indonesia does not eat cats and dogs, but the trade in exotic creatures is booming in some parts of the sprawling archipelago where it can form part of the local diet.

Video of dogs butchered at Indonesian market sparks outrage, SE Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Sorry but I could not bring myself to watch the video. Simply I am an animal lover and hate seeing them in pain.

However, many people in North Sulawesi and surrounding islands each dogs,snakes and so on. It is part of the culture and an accepted practice. I would like things to change but I don't think they ever will. It is part of life.

When I go to Manado as I am tomorrow, I do not go to the local market as I cant stand dogs hanging as meat. I went once but won't again.

However I accept that as my feelings and not necessarily the feelings of most people who live in a wonderful place.

Reactions: LRB
Instead of closing it down, are there ways in which to make the slaughter more humane ? (And thereby respecting a culture, but allowing consideration for the animal suffering?)

ETA - Thanks for NOT embedding that video, I do not want to watch it either.

No disrespect for Miss Lola Webber, from the Dog Meat-Free coalition, but, unlike her, I walk on Minahasan traditional markets every night and I do not feel it's "like walking through hell". Sure, there are things I may disprove but saying that it is hell is just ridiculous and pointing the finger at how dogs are slaughtered without speaking of the way, pigs, cattle and any other animals are put to death here is just hypocritical.

I have been living for almost two decades here in North Sulawesi and have long understood that I wasn't here to change the culture and force mine into the locals. With their support and agreement, we may educate people to slaughter animals in a more humane manner, as WK puts it, but you have no right to forbid what is part of their identity, especially if you are a damn outsider as she is.

It is no coincidence if most Minahasan eat anything haram but tend to disregard kambing and sapi, unlike in the rest of archipelago.

thanks for the realistic assessment, I had a feeling that the article was a little sensationalist.

When I worked in Guangzhou tourists were advised not to go around the local markets, in was walking round and came across two English ladies crying, I asked if I could help, it appears they were upset at the kittens that were for sale, so don’t come round the market if it upsets you, perhaps at the dog market a more humane way to kill the dogs but I was told by a Chinese friend( who didn’t eat dog) that the more you beat a dog the tastier the meat, I expect most of us would give up meat if we saw how the animals are slaughtered, my daughter gave up lamb when she saw how the Little’s dears were killed, I sort of went off chicken when I saw them going around on a big machine while men just chucked a plastic bag of giblets into the tummy cavity, if you are lucky you get two bags, so perhaps the authorities to clean the market up a bit, as a dog owner I keep a sharp eye on him, I would be most upset if somebody stole him, I eat pork I expect that disgusts some Muslims, but I see pork sales haven’t been banned yet, so each to his own culture

Well, some animals are more equal than others. In US, there is a Humane Slaughter Act that only covers cattle, pigs and sheep but not poultry, fish and others.

Visiting Manado last year and passing through Tomohon I chose not to visit the market. I am not particularly squeamish and logically I see little difference between eating a cow, a cat, a pig, a dog or fish. But as a vegetarian of some 58 years I am pleased not to be part of the chain turning animals into meat. It is in the nature of mass production, irrespective of cultural differences, that animals will suffer in the process of being turned into food. Not to say that things can't be improved with both education and pressure to try to develop more humane methods.

There is one little white mutt that enjoys harasses me on my walk to coffee most early mornings. I am ready to drop kick it into next week, if it gets close enough. So much for neighborliness.

Sorry, I am all for humane slaughter of animals, but I'm not going to tell people what kind of animal they can or cannot eat, unless it's an endangered species.

It's hypocritical to protect dog from being consumed, yet letting people kill cattle, pigs, sheep, and chicken for food. They are all living beings.

Whilst the method of slaughter I find abhorrent, and I've witnessed myself while visiting Ambon, I would be more concerned about the human hygiene aspects.
No-one seems to check what diseases those animals may be carrying. We all know how deadly rabies can be to humans yet I didn't see any check if those dogs had that disease before being BBQ'd and eaten.

All the more reason to become a vegetarian...

It definitely adds new meaning to the classic song......How Much Is That Doggy In The Window. I believe that all cultures should eat granola bars and shop at the GAP.:smile:

I’m told tomato’s scream when picked, just saying

I’m told tomato’s scream when picked, just saying
I ve bludgeonned a few tomats this morning for breakfast. They didn t scream but what a mess in the kitchen. There must have more human ways to do it...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James A