video cards

nosox

Charter Member
Cager
I want to upgrade but holy sh*t the prices.....
Was hoping they'd start dropping by now but not. Of course the sad state of IDR probably not helping

I bought my Radeon 5700xt for just under 7jt in 2019... Thought I had overpaid, but wow, has that card held its value!

Hopefully if China keeps cracking down on the bitcoin miners then the price will drop.

Hopefully if China keeps cracking down on the bitcoin miners then the price will drop.
That is interesting. Where's the connection? Video cards specifically or chips generally?

America is making noises about trying to get back into hardware, so maybe that will eveeeeeeeentualy bring prices down a bit as well (subsidised competition, not efficiency).

That is interesting. Where's the connection? Video cards specifically or chips generally?

You can mine all sorts of cryptocurrencies with graphic cards which is why it's been in high demand.

@nosox, seems like prices have gone down. I bought my 3070 about 9jt in December and it was nearly 30jt a couple months ago. Now seems like it's down to the 16-19jt mark. Still high though.

You can mine all sorts of cryptocurrencies with graphic cards which is why it's been in high demand.

@nosox, seems like prices have gone down. I bought my 3070 about 9jt in December and it was nearly 30jt a couple months ago. Now seems like it's down to the 16-19jt mark. Still high though.
ya I'll just wait, happy enough playing my racing game in 1080p

Consider having a look at gaming laptops. It might be cheaper than buying a graphics card for your desktop.

Consider having a look at gaming laptops. It might be cheaper than buying a graphics card for your desktop.

This makes no sense. Are you implying that a gaming laptop with a video card is cheaper now that just buying the card? Not to mention the limitations on gaming laptops due to size etc. Nosox is already playing his game in 1080p so to upgrade higher to 4k would need a serious video card which is only found in very few, expensive laptops.

This makes no sense. Are you implying that a gaming laptop with a video card is cheaper now that just buying the card? Not to mention the limitations on gaming laptops due to size etc. Nosox is already playing his game in 1080p so to upgrade higher to 4k would need a serious video card which is only found in very few, expensive laptops.

Yep, it's true!

My RTX 3070, which I bought for 9jt before the craziness, was going for close to 30jt recently.

A gaming laptop with the laptop version of this card was going for about 24jt. Ok, the laptop version wouldn't be as powerful as the desktop version but then you also get a whole computer for that price.

Yep, it's true!

My RTX 3070, which I bought for 9jt before the craziness, was going for close to 30jt recently.

A gaming laptop with the laptop version of this card was going for about 24jt. Ok, the laptop version wouldn't be as powerful as the desktop version but then you also get a whole computer for that price.
The tech Youtubers I watch place the mobile 3070 in the performance range of a desktop RTX 2060 (non-super). Not bad, but nowhere near what one would expect from a mobile card using the "RTX 3070" name. Part of the problem is that nVidia gained a lot of the 3000 series' performance increases by "brute-force", ie: cranking up the wattage going into the cards. This is all well and good for desktop cards, but laptops have much tighter power limitations.

Yep, that's why some laptop manufacturers have had to throttle their cards due to heat issues.

But it does make you pause... At 9jt, it's a no brainer. At 30jt... 😭

I'm only mildly pulling legs here. My laptop has a GeForce RTX 3060 with 6gb ram and a 144hz screen. I think the price was 17 juta for this.

shrugs

I recall a time when upgrading your computer meant changing out your cpu or upgrading your ram. But these days it seems more like you have to replace everything whenever you touch the CPU. AH well.

Food for thought is all.

I think I have lots of cpu, just had to rein in the costs for the video card
Here are my specs

Attachments

• 20210224_125323.jpg
    20210224_125323.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 116
I think I have lots of cpu, just had to rein in the costs for the video card
Here are my specs

Solid specs. The i5-10400f should last you at least a couple more years. I just upgraded from an i5-7600k and the 10400f was an option I considered. (Ultimately went with Ryzen 5 5600x).

The graphic card is definitely the weakest part of the setup, and when prices normalize, that would be my first upgrade. Something like a GTX 3060 (probably <Rp5jt normal price) should complement the i5-10400f very nicely.

for sure my plan is something in the 3000 series, which should do me till I die

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back