Useful Apps to Make Life Easier in Indonesia

nickie

Charter Member
Cager
I'm just going to list a few apps that I often use on a daily basis:

1. Gojek

From their playstore description:

GO-JEK’s multi-award winning mobile application is Indonesia's personal time-saver. With over 250,000 drivers nationwide, we are an all-in-one mobile app that provides access to all transportation, logistics and lifestyle services to fit your daily needs. You name it, we'll do it, INSTANTLY!

Latest services include:
GO-PAY is our cashless payment system. Your old GO-JEK Credit has now become GO-PAY. You can pay for various GO-JEK services including GO-RIDE, GO-CAR, GO-KILAT, GO-FOOD, GO-MART, GO-BOX and GO-TIX. GO-PAY balance can be topped up from ATM, mobile banking, and internet banking through BCA, BRI, Mandiri, BNI, Permata Bank,and ATM Bersama. When your GO-PAY balance is not sufficient, you can also pay partially by using cash for shopping via GO-MART and GO-FOOD.

Other services from GO-JEK include:
GO-RIDE - our core motorcycle transport service that takes you anywhere easier and faster. Book private cars for friends and family to get your destination safer.
GO-SEND to deliver your packages instantly,
GO-FOOD to buy and deliver your favourite food,
GO-MART to buy your shopping items from over 50 stores,
GO-BOX to deliver all your bigger packages,
GO-BUSWAY - plan your TransJakarta bus routes with GO-BUSWAY
Beautician, massages and cleaners with GO-GLAM, GO-MASSAGE, GO-CLEAN and lastly deliver your concert tickets with GO-TIX.

Enjoy these services in 14 cities nationwide: Jakarta, Bandung,Bali, Surabaya, Makassar, Yogyakarta, Medan, Palembang, Semarang, Balikpapan, Samrinda, Solo, Malang and Manado. 

GO-JEK has been featured on multiple news channels including CNN, BBC, WSJ, CCTV,Reuters and almost every local publications. Download our app and try us out! We may just save the day!

2. Uber

3. Grab

4. Deliveree
https://www.deliveree.com/id/en/
Similar to GO-BOX, but I find it cheaper.

5. Waze
https://www.waze.com

6. Zalora
When I need a fashion related stuff but too hard basket to go out shopping :p

That's all I can think of for now, please feel free to add some more.

Last edited:
Is Your Beer There?

These guys, based in Lebak Bulus, will deliver to certain areas only in Jakarta. You'll just have to contact them and see if they'll deliver to where you are. South Tangerang is covered I know. Whatsapp: +6287886688346

Wonderful post, OP! Now if I may add a little more...

7. Buka Lapak

This is so far my favorite online shop. Service is fast and they often offer free ongkir (ONGkos KIRim the fee of transport service for sending the item).

8. Traveloka

For your flight and hotel booking.
This is helpful how? Because the app is so easy to use, the prices we see are already including the VAT, aaaaaaaaaaaand so many discounts.

9. Groupon

Not an app but it definitely is a must have. Coupons... coupons everywhere...

10. Bhinneka.com

Not an app, but making electronic device shopping easy. At least I refer to this site a lot for a review, and prices.

11. Seekmi

Whenever you're in need of a service (from document translation, formalities service to AC cleaning). They have partners that will give you their quotation based on the service you book.

12. Tinder

For the love seekers, or the cheapskates.

13. Grindr

For the LGBTQ love seekers.

FoodPanda
I hear they take up to 30% of the price tho.

Badoo/Blendr.
Alternative to Tinder. Better results imo. I rarely use it anymore.

Money Manager
Helped with my budgeting when I first arrived. Great pie charts, lists and custom tags/categorizations.

Prestige
Mini game you can play with yourself or someone to pass the while. Macet.

Chwazi
Great for who goes first in boardgame/cardgames. Or to decide which person/group is picked for whatever (pizza run, designated driver, shot games etc)

CamScanner
Free. Great for getting clear doc copies via camera. I have a 8MP shitty camera and the post processing is still good.

Whatsapp
Most people use this now and have moved away from BBM. It's free.

Tokopedia
For online shopping. I can't stand buying stuff from stores and dealing with haggling and all.

Bukalapak
Basically the same as Tokopedia. I go between the two sometimes.

Dafluff suggested it in another thread somewhere: Sky Map. If you like to look at stars/planets etc.

I am a whatsapp fan - use it loads , especially since FB messaging changed. The one issue I have with wa is that it can hang on to messages for a few hours if I don't remember to physically click on the app to open it & check.

& that is me for apps hehehe- the usual generic stuff already in the phone when I bought it- I guess I should delete them

Line- what is that all about- not used it yet- same as WA?

Dafluff suggested it in another thread somewhere: Sky Map. If you like to look at stars/planets etc.

I am a whatsapp fan - use it loads , especially since FB messaging changed. The one issue I have with wa is that it can hang on to messages for a few hours if I don't remember to physically click on the app to open it & check.

& that is me for apps hehehe- the usual generic stuff already in the phone when I bought it- I guess I should delete them

Line- what is that all about- not used it yet- same as WA?

I think Line and what's app are very similar, I think with what's app, people who shouldn't cannot read your message or listen to your phone call, I use both, they seem the same

I think Line and what's app are very similar, I think with what's app, people who shouldn't cannot read your message or listen to your phone call, I use both, they seem the same

they have video call feature, and tons of stickers (emoticons)

Thanks peeps... noted- will dodge Line.

Spotify: finally available in Indonesia. Works great, loads of international and local artists. Cost 49rb per month or 79rb per month for a family license.

Spotify: finally available in Indonesia. Works great, loads of international and local artists. Cost 49rb per month or 79rb per month for a family license.

And your internet quota hehehe.

Here's my list of the very best.

1. the very best for online food ordering and delivery (including beer)... happyfresh.id

2. no-one mentioned lazada.co.id which is even better now since they hooked up with Aliexpress

3. Mandiri banking app.. best of the bunch.

4. Bluebird Taxi app.

5. and soon to arrive (hopefully).. AMAZON Indonesia.

(for iOS)
Kamusku - English-Indonesian dictionary that works without a data connection.

Google Translate - Good for rough translation of sentences. The live translation of text using the camera is quite an impressive feature.

Maps.me - Offline maps if you go to areas away from cell signal.

I've just found a new app called Goers. It's an app about up and coming activities. Easy way to find out what's going on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back