US Stimulas Payments

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Watching all the media reporting on these payments made me think I am fully qualified to receive one. So far, nothing. US natural born citizen, receive SS by direct deposite to my US bank, file Federal taxes annually with no banking information included since I do not get a refund.

According to the government, if no bank information is included in tax documents, Direct Deposite information is pulled from SS information. If someone hasn't given banking information they can fill out a form on the IRS web site to enter it. Of course, there is a warning included to not enter information if you receive direct deposite for SS. So, I dare not use that. That option for anyone ended at 9AM PT on Wednesday. They have another fancy tool to help everyone find out information in regards to when or if you are getting a payment. Problem is, I enter required information and get a, your information does not match that which we have on file. OK, why is that since I entered it exactly as you do on your correspondence? Tried variations for 5 days, you get three tries a day before you have to wait 24 hours to try again. Junk for me.

No one to be contacted at SSA or IRS. No mail answered since they have been off for the virus. I decided that the only solution I may have is to contact the US Embassy here. They would have access to people that may be able to give some information.

I wrote explaining all to them. 2 days layer got a reply that I would have to contact the SS office in Manila since this would come under them. They gave me a link. Wasn't sure how that was going to go since any time in the past I tried to get information from them, there has been no reply. This time, they did reply a day after I sent an email stating my questions. The reply was basically that it wasn't their problem and I would need to contact Dept of Treasury since it was their program. Year, a department where you van not write and if you did, you would not get an answer until they were staffed again.

I forwarded their reply to the Jakarta Embassy telling them that perhaps they could look into it since they are supposed to be here to help US citizens beyond just doing some paperwork. Of course, I did not expect a reply and did not get one.

Now the government is saying that the remainder if thise that have not received a DD for it will be receiving a check in the mail at their last address submitted on tax forms. 2018 tax form since they are not processing mailed in 2019 tax forms yet. Different address now. From my experiences with the Indonesian POS, I doubt that would ever reach anyone's door.

I had just wanted to know if it was something I was entitled to or not. If not, why. Does a foreign address disqualify me even though my deposite is direct to a US bank? I just want to know one way or the other. No one wants to deal with it. Other expats in various countries say they have experienced the same and some say they had no problems getting payments.

Anyone heard anything solid on this program?

You should be eligible from everything I have read. SS recipients and foreign residents are eligible.

Here is the guidance from the SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/ass...ts-for-social-security-and-ssi-recipients.pdf

It says if you didn't file a 2018 or 2019 tax return the payment will be delivered by the same way you receive your SS benefit. If you did file a 2018 or 2019 tax return it says you will get the payment to the account on that return. You have a third scenario which does not look to be addressed specifically in which you did file a return, but there is no account info with the return. It seems the default approach to exceptions is to mail a check, so that is my best guess for how they are handling yours. Perhaps you can contact someone at your old address and tell them you are expecting an envelope to be delivered there and offer some uang rokok to hold it and contact you when it arrives. I would also guess that there will be a system to claim unreceived stimulus checks, either with a new direct deposit, or filed with your 2020 tax return.

I have read a couple of news reports that the treasury will not mail to any foreign addresses.

I have read a couple of news reports that the treasury will not mail to any foreign addresses.
I have read online some expats receiving their check in the mail overseas and not sure what to do with it without a US bank account. No one I know personally, but also not in a context that would cause me to be skeptical

I wouldn't get it if they did. Just would like to know one way or the other. Not a life changer.

Heyoooo! I just got my stimulus. I'm a US born citizen and have been living in Indonesia for 8 years. I don't normally file my taxes because my wife is the breadwinner here and she's Indonesian.

And then this stimulus thing pops up which makes me decide to file my taxes. I don't need to file state tax as I don't live in the USA.

All that was required was that I file my federal taxes. I did through H&R block and it was free. They did not request my banking information as there was no return.

What happened was the US Treasury Department sent a check via mail to my home address in Indonesia which is what I used to file my taxes. I then was able to use my Chase mobile banking app to deposit the check electronically.

The check arrived today, 19/5/2020, so maybe yours has arrived by now too unless you're using some other address.

I hope this helps.

Heyoooo! I just got my stimulus. I'm a US born citizen and have been living in Indonesia for 8 years. I don't normally file my taxes because my wife is the breadwinner here and she's Indonesian.

And then this stimulus thing pops up which makes me decide to file my taxes. I don't need to file state tax as I don't live in the USA.

All that was required was that I file my federal taxes. I did through H&R block and it was free. They did not request my banking information as there was no return.

What happened was the US Treasury Department sent a check via mail to my home address in Indonesia which is what I used to file my taxes. I then was able to use my Chase mobile banking app to deposit the check electronically.

The check arrived today, 19/5/2020, so maybe yours has arrived by now too unless you're using some other address.

I hope this helps.
I have no idea if it was mailed or not. My old mailing address for IRS was a Jakarta address that I was planning on changing with this years filing. The ones that lived there who would forward to me have since left and I do not know who is at that address now. It seems strange that anyone who is getting direct deposite from SS would get a check. That is not how it was supposed to work and the IRS site says do not fill out their firm if getting SS. I am just going to figure I am not getting.

If it was mailed and you used an old address you no longer live at, then yes, you're going to have an issue. Hopefully when you filed your 2019 taxes you used your current address you live at. I haven't asked around yet if friends or family have received it via direct deposit yet, but the internet would make it seem that many have indeed already received it.

My parents in the states just received their check on Thursday. They live in the states.

They're receiving SSI and of course now always owe taxes. This year they used direct withdraw for payment but that information was not used for direct deposit nor was SSI deposit information since they ended up receiving a check.

So if your situation is the same as my parents, you should be expecting a check. If it doesn't get to you, then I'm not sure who you should be contacting.

Funny how even when they have all the information, they choose a different method which will cost more and take longer. I no longer expect anything and not going to worry about it. It's not like they are taking something away.

Just resurrecting this thread to ask how US stimulus checks are reported when filing Indonesian taxes. Is it supposed to be reported? What sort of income is it filed as?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back