US doctors living in Indonesia

sam1

Hi, I am in the midst of an international adoption process and have just heard from the adopting country that my medical on file is not recent enough. They have asked me to redo my medical exam from a US doctor which includes an HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, and Tuberculosis tests. In the hopes of not needing to return to the US solely to complete this paperwork, I'm hoping there might be a US doctor on the forum, or someone who knows a US doctor living in Indonesia, who would be able to support my medical here in Indonesia. Happy to travel to you. If so, please post or message me. Thank you!

Puspawarna

Cager
These ideas may be long shots, but:

+ Have you tried talking to SOS Medika? While foreign physicians are not allowed to practice in Indonesia, they are allowed to "consult" on staff. A few years ago, their consultant who I am pretty sure was American discussed my treatment plan with me even though he technically wasn't my doctor.

+ Try Singapore, perhaps? It's less of a journey than going to the US! I don't think they have restrictions against foreign physicians, as Singapore-based Anne Hagerty, an OBGYN, was a favorite of pregnant expats living in Jakarta. I don't know if Dr. Hagerty is still practicing (she did my amnio, and my son is 23 now!) but if she is you could probably call her office and see if they know of any American physicians in Sing. Though I don't specifically remember if Dr. Hagerty is American, she might be Canadian.

(Just commenting: It seems weird that only an American physician will do. Whoever set that rule has not been paying attention. Good and bad doctors come from all countries. And even if the training provided in some countries is better than others, you don't need esoteric skills for a few basic blood tests. Heck, I doubt a physician is usually involved in a lot of countries - a nurse takes blood, the lab technician works the machines, and a computer spits out the test results.)

Oh, and: GOOD LUCK with the adoption!

Helpful Herbert

I think it's going to be a while before people are allowed to fly from Indonesia into Singapore again (years not months). I'd recommend going to SOS in Cipete or Kuningan, as it's an international company with (I assume) international standards. I think they have foreign doctors on site who are officially called advisors and could sign off results I guess.

centurion

Cager
From 2018, no foreigner can hold any position as a health worker whatsoever, including "medical advisor" position, that existed before. From 2018-2019, there are no foreigners employed as health workers in Indonesia in any medical/medical advisory capacity.

jukung11

Cager
" HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, and Tuberculosis tests"

My understanding is the doctor doesn't perform the test but only interprets and certifies lab results for these. Since covid, most states have waived requirements against telemedicine. First check with your state of origin or a previous physician relationship and see if they will accept lab results from any of the labs listed on the U.S. state departments website.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
" HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, and Tuberculosis tests"

My understanding is the doctor doesn't perform the test but only interprets and certifies lab results for these. Since covid, most states have waived requirements against telemedicine. First check with your state of origin or a previous physician relationship and see if they will accept lab results from any of the labs listed on the U.S. state departments website.

That is a great idea. Nice.

Dharma Police

From 2018, no foreigner can hold any position as a health worker whatsoever, including "medical advisor" position, that existed before. From 2018-2019, there are no foreigners employed as health workers in Indonesia in any medical/medical advisory capacity.
So the Dutch director at my clinic is likely WNI?

centurion

Cager
So the Dutch director at my clinic is likely WNI?
Director is not a position in a medical capacity.

Allowed positions in the health industry are,

Board members:
-Commissioner/President Commissioner;
-President Director/Director (non-medical)

and managerial/advisory positions:
-Finance Manager
-Administration Manager
-Sales/Marketing Manager
-Marketing Advisor

Dharma Police

Director is not a position in a medical capacity.

Allowed positions in the health industry are,

Board members:
-Commissioner/President Commissioner;
-President Director/Director (non-medical)

and managerial/advisory positions:
-Finance Manager
-Administration Manager
-Sales/Marketing Manager
-Marketing Advisor
Thanks. You know a lot about this stuff. Are you in the medical field?

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huby
Top Bottom