Uploading attachements

dafluff

Cager
We have allowed the uploading of attachements (pictures) directly via Xenforo. There are drawbacks to this as it uses our bandwidth and storage allowances, but it certainly makes it easier for people to upload.

The limitations have been set as follows:

Maximum size: Approx 512kB
Maximum dimensions: Approx 1920x1080

The reason for the approx. sizes is because Xenforo has the ability to resize large images, but it does not always work for large files. In particular, it resizes the dimensions, but if after doing that the file size is still larger than 512 kB, it will fail to upload.

Only registered users who are logged in may upload and view attachments.
Newbie users may view attachments, but are not allowed to upload attachments until they get upgraded to registered status (10 posts)
Guest/not registered users are not allowed to view full images to conserve bandwidth.

Users who want to upload larger files can still use the old way, via uploading and linking to https://postimage.io/

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Nice.

One suggestion (without trying it); I found that 640x480 is in fact good enough. See what I used as screen shots and the upload resolution. People can still read the text fine. And it will save you quite a lot of space (and speed).

El_Goretto

Cager
We have decided to leave it at 1920x1080 for now but we always have the ability to change this later on and resize all attached images to a lower resolution if it turns out that it's too heavy on our resources.

dafluff

Cager
After some consideration I have lowered the attachment size to:

Maximum size: Approx 300kB
Maximum dimensions: Approx 1024x768

These still allow for fairly large/detailed pictures, while at the same time saving space for us.

The below image is an example of a picture of approximately the above size. I'm sure you'll agree that is plenty fine.

IMG_4854.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseball1
Top Bottom