Underwater Photography

Bob

Would anyone have a recommendation for an underwater camera setup, ideally in the rough neighborhood of 1K USD? Or any general pointers on the subject?
I've used a few point a shoots for snorkeling over the years and they don't last very long. I guess the salt water gets to them even if they're rinsed after use. I have not tried an Olympus TG though; that is a candidate. Or maybe there's something plus a housing that is a better value.

Would anyone have a recommendation for an underwater camera setup, ideally in the rough neighborhood of 1K USD? Or any general pointers on the subject?
I've used a few point a shoots for snorkeling over the years and they don't last very long. I guess the salt water gets to them even if they're rinsed after use. I have not tried an Olympus TG though; that is a candidate. Or maybe there's something plus a housing that is a better value.
Check with Wisnu. He has great pictures he has posted here for years.

• Thanks!
Reactions: Bob
Hi Bob,
Oly TG6 is good camera for starting the uwp. Great for macro or fish portrait, easy to use. However, max depth is 15m only, so you will need external housing for scuba diving deeper than 15m. A friend has tried to 20m, no leaking but the button not all working. External housing will also provide additional protection.
Camera and housing would be less than 1000 USD. For WA, you'll need external WA/fish lens and dual strobes. With this setup, the cost will jump to more than USD 3000. Here an example of TG6 set up

You might also consider Nikon Coolpix W300, good to 30m without housing.
I'm currently in Lembeh. There's a guy use Nikon Coolpix W300, seem great camera with 4K video at least from camera display.
I believe for macro, Olympus is better as it can shoot very close to the object.

• Thanks!
Hi Bob,
Oly TG6 is good camera for starting the uwp. Great for macro or fish portrait, easy to use. However, max depth is 15m only, so you will need external housing for scuba diving deeper than 15m. A friend has tried to 20m, no leaking but the button not all working. External housing will also provide additional protection.
Camera and housing would be less than 1000 USD. For WA, you'll need external WA/fish lens and dual strobes. With this setup, the cost will jump to more than USD 3000. Here an example of TG6 set up

I'm currently in Lembeh. There's a guy use Nikon Coolpix W300, seem great camera with 4K video at least from camera display.
I believe for macro, Olympus is better as it can shoot very close to the object.
I just got the TG6 with the housing in the past few weeks and it got its first use in Alor over the past week. I'm quite impressed with it. Great for macro/ fish/ coral/ critters photography like Wisnu says. The wider shots of the reef I'm not sure about yet as they need editing (no flash so the colors are typical underwater blue-toned). I might try posting a pic or two later to give you an idea of what I achieved in auto without any real knowledge of what I was doing haha

• Thanks!
Here are a few examples - completely unedited from the TG6 (with housing):
GEMA0197.JPG
GEMA0316.JPG
GEMA0318.JPG

Hi Bob,

That is very useful information, thank you.
The shots you post here are great; will you post any from this trip?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back