Typhoid fever

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
We hired a helper for Opa a couple of months ago in Bandung. Last weekend she was feeling sick, and weak. She went to the clinic on Monday, and they diagnosed her with Typhoid fever. They gave her medication, and she’s feeling better. So we had her tested at a lab today, which still says she is positive.

Has anyone dealt with this? Recommendations on how long it would take her to recover? It’s contagious, as I understand it. We obviously want her to recover, and everyone in the house to be safe.

serious_fun

Salmonella poisoning such as Typhoid is spread via feces or orally. Is the 'helper' live-in? Keep the 'helper' away from your kitchen!

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
She was live in until she got sick. She normally doesn’t cook, but did make some bakso for the family last week. We are keeping her away until she is better. Should everyone in the house be tested? My wife was tested, but don’t think she is positive, but we need to hear from the doctor.

I have very little contact with the helper. She is downstairs with Opa 99% of the time, I’m upstairs 99% of the time.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
I don't know anything about Typhoid, but I do wish you guys well.

mas_dam

I recently had a covid-case in my (extended) social circle that got wrongly diagnosed as typhoid first.
A quick online research shows that this seems to happen often. I don't know how they test for typhoid and whether there is anything like a false-positive for typhoid (assuming that your helper wouldn't be so unlucky to contract both at the same time).

Knowing that correct diagnosis seems to be the worst part in the Indonesian healthcare system (most difficult one as well I assume), it's maybe worth having a covid taste for her just to be sure.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
I recently had a covid-case in my (extended) social circle that got wrongly diagnosed as typhoid first.
A quick online research shows that this seems to happen often. I don't know how they test for typhoid and whether there is anything like a false-positive for typhoid (assuming that your helper wouldn't be so unlucky to contract both at the same time).

Knowing that correct diagnosis seems to be the worst part in the Indonesian healthcare system (most difficult one as well I assume), it's maybe worth having a covid taste for her just to be sure.
We had a lab Covid test done on her before she was hired in mid August. She hasn‘t seemed to have any Covid symptoms. The clinic doctor diagnosed the Typhoid Fever without a test last Monday. Our lab on Saturday was the first test for it that she got.

Puspawarna

Cager
Definitely typhoid, and not typhus? I only ask because when I first started living in Indonesia and my Indonesian language skills were erratic, I was told that a person had "tifus" and I assumed that was Indonesian for typhoid.

It was a while before I learned that typhus is a disease in its own right. (Please don't be offended by the question if you are well aware of the distinction - I'm only asking because I was unaware of the difference, and I don't think I'm an especially stupid person. So I'm definitely not implying any ignorance. Not worse than my own, anyway.)

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Definitely typhoid, and not typhus? I only ask because when I first started living in Indonesia and my Indonesian language skills were erratic, I was told that a person had "tifus" and I assumed that was Indonesian for typhoid.

It was a while before I learned that typhus is a disease in its own right. (Please don't be offended by the question if you are well aware of the distinction - I'm only asking because I was unaware of the difference, and I don't think I'm an especially stupid person. So I'm definitely not implying any ignorance. Not worse than my own, anyway.)
Thank you for correcting my ignorance. I thought they were the same.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
I know there can be confusion about the type of disease. Here are the test results, omitting the name and detail of the patient.

FE82C40C-86AD-4221-B5D5-C476459A4082.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Notanexpat
Top Bottom