Trivago

Gratilla

Anyone with cable can hardly have not noticed the absolute deluge of the same ad being repeated, repeated, repeated, on multiple channels by some hysterical siren ad nauseum demanding that we guess how many hotel rooms she's been laid in, err, hotel prices she's compared.

Those of you tempted to try out this hotel booking service could do worse than to do a google on "trivago complaints" or similar. You'll easily find many horror stories that Trivago does not seem to have any interest in correcting (and this is after payments have been accepted). Admittedly, there is a smattering of positive messages, but these look suspiciously manufactured.

Anyway, caveat emptor.

Oh, and for those enquiring minds that just need to know the answer to how "many hotel prices have been compared" ... ... ... the answer is ZERO. They sub-contract the work.

Ahh, the joys of having no idea what you guys are on about. I can't stand the sound of TV at all so I never watch it unless hubby calls me to go & look at something on the news or something. I go look- out of duty & in the interests of a harmonious marriage :D

I'm not a tv watcher either but have found Nat Geo at a low volume smoothes my afternoon nap
That Trivago twat is the most annoying feature to be on tv in recent memory

Last edited:
Must be a good ad cause you are thinking about it. They don' care if it pissed you off just so you rember the name. So job well done.

Must be a good ad cause you are thinking about it. They don' care if it pissed you off just so you rember the name. So job well done.

Well I don’t wake up at night screaming”
“Trivago”, but I can assure you it would be the last company I would use if looking for a hotel, so a grand irritating fail

Yet by posting about them in here, you are still promoting the brand awareness... "no such thing as bad publicity" :D

So if I smoke I won't be cool?
How about if I use tampons, can I be an expert roller skater?

Must be a good ad cause you are thinking about it. They don' care if it pissed you off just so you remember the name. So job well done.

Advertised product is like a gigolo's penis. Useless unless purchased.

If prospectives do their due diligence (and remember the name, of course), Trivago will be going under before their ad budget runs out ... we hope.

Not sure but I thought Trivago is comparing the different booking sites (as Expedia, Booking, Traveloka, Agoda, ...) and then selecting and presenting the lowest price? So a bit like Skyscanner for flights. That’s at least how they position themselves in Western Europe. (I recently saw an ad on the local TV.)

Hotels and booking platforms, that's my thing !
Trivago started in Germany with the same business model as Trip Advisor : listing and comparing hotels and their prices, from the reviews of guests, and rates displayed on websites or booking platforms. As others, they have moved on the booking platform model, especially since they were partly taken over by Expedia which has acquired a loadful of other booking companies like Trip Advisor (the bookings of which are powered by Booking.com) or Hotel.com, to mention a few.
It takes its revenues mostly on a pay-per-click basis, hence the massive ad campaigns.
Today this booking platforms world has become totally insane, to the point that the game of acquisitions is overwhelming both platforms and hotels. You may book through Agoda for example, but your booking will actually (halas also eventually) reach the hotel by another booking platform. It's OK as long as you don't have to change your reservation. If you do need a change, you will find yourslef confronted to policies which vary from a platform to another. If you try to reach the hotel through the platform, it happens more and more frequently that the question asked on platform A does not reach the actual booking platform B, and of course does not reach the hotel either.
One thing is now for certain : none of these platforms have any mean to compare prices, they can only compare what is displayed at a given time on a given date. A hotel can change its direct rates on a daily basis on their website, they can conduct promotion campaigns which are expressed in words or percentages, not in values so that robots cannot read them as prices. You have promotions on facebook pages, on Instagram etc...
With time, it now happens that you will find the cheapest prices on the hotel websites, not on booking platforms anymore, as the commissions requested by the latter are just too high for the services rendered.
The last post of JStar summarizes the situation to perfection : travel websites don't show the cheapest deals, but promote advertisers who pay the highest fees...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back