Traveling with Mifi

atoopi

I have a Mobile Wifi device - Unlocked HUAWEI E5330 3G HSPA+ 2100/900Mhz - It says it can connect up to 10 devices at a time. Here is the link of the specs: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2032559356.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.12797a27XbLF7h

My question is can I show up at the Telkomsel store in Ubud (or other similar places in Southeast Asia) and ask to have a Data-only SIM be inserted into the back of the device and then buy a 30 day validity 10-20GB data packet and connect my laptop to the Internet before leaving the store? I want to see that the SIM card will work with the device.

I got this device so I can do this in each country I visit simply by replacing the SIM. Before I had this device, I would buy a dongle/USB Mobile Broadband in each country and then because it was locked, it would be useless in the following country. That seemed like a waste of money. Will I have any issues with the Mifi device?

That should work just fine, Telkomsel uses 3G on 2100mhz and HSPA+ on both 900mhz and 2100mhz (source). You should also be able to get online immediately, before leaving the store.

Excellent, that's good news. I suppose the device I have (according to the link) is not compatible with 4G/LTE? And my download speeds will be limited? 3-4-5Mbps?

Excellent, that's good news. I suppose the device I have (according to the link) is not compatible with 4G/LTE? And my download speeds will be limited? 3-4-5Mbps?

Ugh...I would look into getting a 4G device. 4G is available in most large cities, and when it is, it is far superior to 3G. Even though 3G has theoretical capacity of 3Mbps, I would not expect more than 1/10th of that in Indonesia.

Also, I think just about all devices you buy in Indonesia are unlocked, so unlocked devices from abroad should work just fine.

I agree with @dafluff .

And we are somewhat rehashing that whole previous discussion now, in an almost identical thread in which we came to the same conclusion:

How much more radiation does 4G broadcast compared to 3G? I use my laptop 8 hours a day, and the mifi will be quite close to me as is the laptop, so that is a health issue I am concerned about.

Yep, and we will all die because of 5G.

tin-foil-hat.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back