Travel to Indonesia to Marry my Fiance

skippywhite

Hello all. First post on this forum, so thanks in advance. A year ago, I traveled to Indonesia and 'attempted' to get married, but Covid came and ruined that as everything shut down. I was initially on a visa on arrival that ended up being extended because of the emergency. I traveled back to my home country (USA) unmarried. Is it possible to get a travel visa to Indonesia so I can marry my fiance? If so, what visa would that be? I understand that she must sponsor me. My concern is we are not married right now, so we are not 'family' yet. Any help/guidance is appreciated!

jukung11

Cager
Is it possible to get a travel visa to Indonesia so I can marry my fiance?

No. Indonesia shut down all travel because of the various covid strains from England and South Africa. It even pulled out of the travel corridor agreements. It first plans to open for travel corridors, then vaccinated travelers. I read articles they were hoping to get back into the travel corridor agreements mid-year. (The U.S. is not part of them)

Are you planning to reside in Indonesia long term? Do you have a college education in a field that can be employed in Indonesia? On average, less than 3000 Americans are legally employed in Indonesia.

If you do not plan to live in Indonesia, you should get married in the United States. If you would have started a year ago, you probably would be together now. File for a K-1 visa. Fiance visa applications are processed faster than the spouse applications. Average processing is 9-10 months for a fiance. It is upwards of a year for a spouse visa. It is also easier to register a prenup with an embassy abroad than with the local catatan sipil. You did get one of those right?

Don't take offense by my questions. I am so used to answering these after the fact. When people are in love, they forget many of these details.

harryopal

Charter Member
It was reported yesterday that international international travel to Indonesia might resume October 2022. With new mutations and one thing and another there is really no certainty about anything

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
No. Indonesia shut down all travel because of the various covid strains from England and South Africa. It even pulled out of the travel corridor agreements. It first plans to open for travel corridors, then vaccinated travelers. I read articles they were hoping to get back into the travel corridor agreements mid-year. (The U.S. is not part of them)

Are you planning to reside in Indonesia long term? Do you have a college education in a field that can be employed in Indonesia? On average, less than 3000 Americans are legally employed in Indonesia.

If you do not plan to live in Indonesia, you should get married in the United States. If you would have started a year ago, you probably would be together now. File for a K-1 visa. Fiance visa applications are processed faster than the spouse applications. Average processing is 9-10 months for a fiance. It is upwards of a year for a spouse visa. It is also easier to register a prenup with an embassy abroad than with the local catatan sipil. You did get one of those right?

Don't take offense by my questions. I am so used to answering these after the fact. When people are in love, they forget many of these details.
Just, wow. Such a thorough and thoughtful answer. Nice one!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serro