TRANSFER WISE HACKED

harryopal

Charter Member
Transferwise recently changed to Wise.com. Coinciding with the change I had made a small transfer to a friend in the US. It was not received. I tried the various "help" links which were not helpful. Tried to call a Wise number but gave up after about 15 minutes of mobile costs. I then posted a message on their Facebook page.

Last night I received a call from "Wise" to help with the problems and refund the lost transaction. Asked to connect to a Wise.com/gosupport which then connected me to a remote access site to connect the laptop. I allowed access.

In the process they were using a Wise Transfer page so it all seemed legit. With slow internet and mobile phone drop outs it took an inordinate amount of time. I asked to terminate the access to my laptop which they refused saying they had to complete the process. I shut down the laptop and turned off the internet.

Long and short of it is they scammed $2700 and were lined up to take another $1000. Had there been a user friendly Wise help to deal with this I feel I would not have got into this mess. I have found a means of reporting this to Wise but am not optimistic as to the result.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
So, was it wise who was hacked or you who was scammed, I can't make it out from your post- 2 very different things.
I want to know so that I can warn my old dad as he uses it :) x

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Never, ever, ever give someone remote access to your computer, it's always a scam (edit: when dealing with banks and finances).

Other best practices for dealing with banks is never give account information on a call that they made to you. If they call you, say you will call them back on their official phone number, and does that person have an extension you can reach them at. No legitimate financial institution will present any resistance to that course of action.

If you posted a public message on the Wise Facebook page, the scammer likely used that information to realize you are a potential target, and then pursued finding your contact information.

Last edited:

harryopal

Charter Member
Well, I was certainly scammed. The Scammers used the Wise Polri system to channel the funds. Not sure how they access that. The big mistake was allowing direct access to my laptop. In the past not so unusual to deal with technical problems. When I bought this refurbished laptop from HP in the states it was delivered without drivers. Allowing direct access enabled that to be fixed. However, with scamming at a much higher level that now is not to be done.

At the heart of the matter is that the original small transfer problem could not be readily sorted due to a lack of Wise "help" links that simply did not address the problem.

The telephone direction to log in to Wise.com/gosupport was what led me to fall in. I have found a means of emailing Wise full details but can't imagine any positive outcome although I would still like to know what happened to the failed small transfer.

Ahh well, as Ned Kelly said just before they hanged him, "Such is life."

harryopal

Charter Member
"......If you posted a public message on the Wise Facebook page, the scammer likely used that information to realize you are a potential target, and then pursued finding your contact information."

Yes, this is where the scammers saw the opportunity. I posted a message on Facebook after finding I could not get the original unfinished small transfer dealt with using the various "help" and contact links on the Wise site.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Thanks for the heads-up. I fell for a gojek scam like this once... But I didn't have anything in my gojek account. It helps to occasionally be reminded that this sort of thing can happen. .

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Yeah, I would never allow remote access to my laptop in a million years. If they want to see it, make a zoom call and I’ll share my screen while they direct. The only exception is my employer’s IT helpdesk, and they’ll only contact me through internal Skype or Teams.

harryopal

Charter Member
I think it was last Thursday I went to the Cyber Police Office at Police headquarters in Bali with a report on the scam. A 100k round trip through rather dense traffic. It seems the police and Wise are inhabiting different alternative realities. Wise take the fantastical line that they are following up and trying to get the recipient bank to return the money which, they say, might take months or not at all. With the Cyber police an officer read the report and stamped and signed a copy for me to give to Wise. I got his name, a mobile number and an email address. As I later found the mobile number and email address don't work. I might use the central police number to try and speak to the guy but I have no expectation of results from either the police or Wise. The Cyber police are mainly interested in tracking "false information"... basically anything critical of seriously important people. As for scams, based on data from the National Cyber and Crypto Agency ( BSSN ), from January to August 2020, there were nearly 190 million cyber attack attempts in Indonesia, up more than four times compared to the same period last year which was recorded at around 39 million. Realistically, is it likely the police will bother with one case losing just $2700? And as for Wise? Seasoned hackers siphon money immediately transfer from one account to another account and.... will anything happen from now? I don't think so.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
The telephone direction to log in to Wise.com/gosupport was what led me to fall in.
Check that address again (in your browser history), if they had hacked Wise's site to control that page, Wise would be very concerned and would be at fault. But that's quite unlikely, more likely that you went to an unofficial site that may have sounded official at the time, like https://wise.gosupport.com. It's also possible you suffered a man-in-the-middle attack, but that would require they already had malware on your computer prior to the phone call.

harryopal

Charter Member
I am not sure if "Hacked" was the right term regarding the Wise site. After receiving the instruction and believing it was a "WIse" representative I made the mistake of allowing access to my laptop for the return of the apparently missing original small amount. It seems they used the Wise web system to transfer funds from my account to another bank. As I said I don't really expect anything to happen either with the Cyber Crime group or Wise and now really just want to forget about it. However, should there be some future development of interest I will post the information.

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
One piece of information everyone should know these days is how domain names work. Anything that isn't ???.wise.com when dealing with the official company site that is www.wise.com is NOT official.

Whatever the company's official website is, if the email/DM/post/etc gives you a link that directs you to anything else BUT the official company's domain, you are being scammed.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
One piece of information everyone should know these days is how domain names work. Anything that isn't ???.wise.com when dealing with the official company site that is www.wise.com is NOT official.

Whatever the company's official website is, if the email/DM/post/etc gives you a link that directs you to anything else BUT the official company's domain, you are being scammed.
Just remember that the link may say www.wise.com it may in fact lead to a different address so make sure you check what address is in your browser before continuing.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serro