Traffic Ticket

Xhay

Hello! Got stopped lately in Ubud for not wearing a helmet on a 100 meter ride and the officer gave a ticket but without writing in the ticket any passport information or name information and also confiscated the bike papers, i returned the bike and the rental place did not see the documents missing. Wanted to know if i don't pay the fine what can happen?

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
Hello! Got stopped lately in Ubud for not wearing a helmet on a 100 meter ride and the officer gave a ticket but without writing in the ticket any passport information or name information and also confiscated the bike papers, i returned the bike and the rental place did not see the documents missing. Wanted to know if i don't pay the fine what can happen?
Show some integrity, tell the rental company what happened and pay the fine. If you don't, then the rental company will have to pay it once they discover the bike's papers are being held by the police.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Well, if neither the officer nor the rental place have your identifying information, it seems you have committed the perfect crime.

But you broke the law, got caught, and are leaving the rental place in a bad position to remedy the situation. That's pretty sh*tty of you. Go make it right. I believe the maximum fine is 250,000.

Minuteman

Charter Member
Cager
No helmet..against the law. Returning the bike without papers and not telling the rental company about it..you really set a good example of what a crappy person you are. Why don't you go home!?

Dominique

This is not really brave, neither honest. The question is not what can happen to you, but what will happen to the rental company. You make a mistake, just pay for it and next time don't forget to put your helmet on !

dafluff

Cager
Officially? 250.000 IDR or 1 month in prison.
That is the maximum allowed by law. Once it's gone through court, normally in Bali you pay a fraction of that. Rp 75 - 100k normally, or 2-3 days in the slammer in lieu of fine.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Ironic is it not? ... that visitors seem to think that locals are corrupt.

macvert

Cager
If they gave you the blue ticket it means the fine has to be paid to the government account..
I doubt they gave you the blue ticket & also confiscated the rego papers.
Seems they gave you the pink copy & confiscated the rego papers so you or the registered owner would have to front up to the cop shop & then pay the cops a lower amount than the actual fine.

A similar thing happened to me many years ago after I got pulled over going down a one way street the wrong way & the copper took the rego papers & told me to go to the cop shop.
Because I had no experience whatsoever with Indo cops or Bahasa Indo, I fronted up to the cop shop & was grilled by half a dozen coppers for ½ an hour or so about God knows what before they let me go in frustration but without the rego papers.

Next thing the guy I had rented the vehicle from fronted up at my hotel & said the cops had contacted him & he had paid them 150,000rp to get the rego papers back so I paid him the 150,000 before realizing the cops had only wanted 100,000 from me & probably less from the actual owner …... lol

jukung11

Cager
In my experience when renting vehicles (not Bali), the people will make a copy of my passport or take a photo on their hand phones for record keeping. When the rental company goes to get the registration papers, it will be easy to know exactly who got the ticket.

Even if you are not concerned with your reputation or the reputation of foreigners in general, I would be most worried if you are on a tourist visa. Although the chances are very small, the worst possible outcome is if immigration finds out you have unpaid fines and they just tell you to turn around and go home upon your next entry attempt to Indonesia. They have the right to deny you entry because you do not have the right to be in Indonesia. There are around 1000 people denied entry in Bali each year. For the cost of the fine, it is a silly risk to travel plans.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Victoriabelle