Tokopedia stopped accepting international credit cards

IndoTom

I've been using the Tokopedia online store in Indonesia for several months now with my credit cards from back home in the USA. Suddenly this month they stopped accepting them as payment with a transaction failure saying they don't take international credit cards. The Lazada online store doesn't work either. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any work around?

I can imagine that sucks. On Tokopedia I only use OVO and KlkBCA transfer now.

I make a direct transfer from my BCA account using the option as offered on the Tokopedia pay options.

I can imagine that sucks. On Tokopedia I only use OVO and KlkBCA transfer now.
Can I add money to OVO with a foreign credit card? The issue is that I don’t have a KITAS/P so no local bank account to do transactions.

Often people top up via Tokopedia with a credit card but that might become a catch 22 situation.

You can also top up with many Grab/GoCar drivers. But that's with cash and often 100K max so then you'd have to go to an ATM first.

Now perhaps the most interesting for you, is topping up at Alfamart or at an OVO booth.

These are the locations:

Tokopedia must have gotten tired of local scammers using stolen foreign credit cards.

Now perhaps the most interesting for you, is topping up at Alfamart or at an OVO booth.

These are the locations:
OVO might be an option but it seems to have a max top up amount of 2,000,000 IDR for the basic membership.

Tried to do a transaction with Traveloka today in Indonesia, using a foreign credit card. Received the message that 'the transaction was unsuccessful' and had to process by bank transfer, so perhaps it's a bigger issue than just Tokopedia.

FYI, I know people who have been able to open an account at Permata while on a tourist visa. Might be something to consider.

Officially the Bank of Indonesia gave green light to foreigners who don't reside here, to open bank accounts. As long as the amount of money was limited.

Obviously many banks simply don't want it.

Overseas banks and financial institutions don't like to deal the legal paperwork for US citizens unless it's for a significant deposit.

Last edited:
Overseas banks and financial institutions don't like to deal the legal paperwork for US citizens unless it's for a significant deposit.

Ok that makes sense. You can thank the IRS! Like everywhere, the tax office is making life difficult for regular people while the filthy rich get way with paying very little.

Ok that makes sense. You can thank the IRS! Like everywhere, the tax office is making life difficult for regular people while the filthy rich get way with paying very little.

Was that a typo? "....while the filthy rich get way with paying very little."
Surely you meant, ",,,while the beautifully rich get way with paying very little."

I've been using the Tokopedia online store in Indonesia for several months now with my credit cards from back home in the USA. Suddenly this month they stopped accepting them as payment with a transaction failure saying they don't take international credit cards. The Lazada online store doesn't work either. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any work around?
Try shopee.. or possible it's been blocked.

Although ShopeePay has higher limits (up to 20 juta for a verified person/address), Shopee only supports locally issued Visa and Mastercards.

I have not had to do this recently, but I have done this with a few retail and travel sites in Indonesia that rejected my international card. My recollection was matahari mall, tiket, and tokopedia all did this. I contacted customer service for the website. I gave them a photo of my passport and credit card in the same picture for verification of authenticity. They were able to add the card to their system as an approved card. Best of luck.

I have not had to do this recently, but I have done this with a few retail and travel sites in Indonesia that rejected my international card. My recollection was matahari mall, tiket, and tokopedia all did this. I contacted customer service for the website. I gave them a photo of my passport and credit card in the same picture for verification of authenticity. They were able to add the card to their system as an approved card. Best of luck.

Mmmmm, having my passport data + my CC info stored in some database with probably very limited security is not something I would do.

True. But I would be even more concerned about giving it to a customer service rep of some company over the phone and by e-mail.

Nowadays all European cards work with a PIN so with (online) purchases you would still have to enter the payment module of your financial institution.

Well, that's what I was told and thought until the magnetic strip of my card was read by a mobile terminal in a restaurant and the transaction was immediately approved ?

[QUOTE = "IndoTom, message: 63976, membre: 738"]
J'utilise la boutique en ligne Tokopedia en Indonésie depuis plusieurs mois maintenant avec mes cartes de crédit de chez moi aux États-Unis. Soudainement ce mois-ci, ils ont cessé de les accepter comme paiement avec un échec de transaction disant qu'ils n'acceptent pas les cartes de crédit internationales. La boutique en ligne Lazada ne fonctionne pas non plus. Est-ce que quelqu'un d'autre a rencontré ce problème? Des travaux?
[/CITATION]
Salam alikoum
cher ami
J'ai le même problème que vous
comme vous l'avez
trouver une solution de paiement sur tokopidia
Merci

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back