Tokopedia stopped accepting international credit cards

IndoTom

I've been using the Tokopedia online store in Indonesia for several months now with my credit cards from back home in the USA. Suddenly this month they stopped accepting them as payment with a transaction failure saying they don't take international credit cards. The Lazada online store doesn't work either. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any work around?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I can imagine that sucks. On Tokopedia I only use OVO and KlkBCA transfer now.

harryopal

Charter Member
I make a direct transfer from my BCA account using the option as offered on the Tokopedia pay options.

IndoTom

I can imagine that sucks. On Tokopedia I only use OVO and KlkBCA transfer now.
Can I add money to OVO with a foreign credit card? The issue is that I don’t have a KITAS/P so no local bank account to do transactions.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Often people top up via Tokopedia with a credit card but that might become a catch 22 situation.

You can also top up with many Grab/GoCar drivers. But that's with cash and often 100K max so then you'd have to go to an ATM first.

Now perhaps the most interesting for you, is topping up at Alfamart or at an OVO booth.

These are the locations:

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Tokopedia must have gotten tired of local scammers using stolen foreign credit cards.

IndoTom

Now perhaps the most interesting for you, is topping up at Alfamart or at an OVO booth.

These are the locations:
OVO might be an option but it seems to have a max top up amount of 2,000,000 IDR for the basic membership.

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
Tried to do a transaction with Traveloka today in Indonesia, using a foreign credit card. Received the message that 'the transaction was unsuccessful' and had to process by bank transfer, so perhaps it's a bigger issue than just Tokopedia.

El_Goretto

Cager
FYI, I know people who have been able to open an account at Permata while on a tourist visa. Might be something to consider.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Officially the Bank of Indonesia gave green light to foreigners who don't reside here, to open bank accounts. As long as the amount of money was limited.

Obviously many banks simply don't want it.

IndoTom

Overseas banks and financial institutions don't like to deal the legal paperwork for US citizens unless it's for a significant deposit.

Last edited:

El_Goretto

Cager
Overseas banks and financial institutions don't like to deal the legal paperwork for US citizens unless it's for a significant deposit.
Ok that makes sense. You can thank the IRS! Like everywhere, the tax office is making life difficult for regular people while the filthy rich get way with paying very little.

harryopal

Charter Member
Ok that makes sense. You can thank the IRS! Like everywhere, the tax office is making life difficult for regular people while the filthy rich get way with paying very little.
Was that a typo? "....while the filthy rich get way with paying very little."
Surely you meant, ",,,while the beautifully rich get way with paying very little."

ja_gaspar

I've been using the Tokopedia online store in Indonesia for several months now with my credit cards from back home in the USA. Suddenly this month they stopped accepting them as payment with a transaction failure saying they don't take international credit cards. The Lazada online store doesn't work either. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any work around?
Try shopee.. or possible it's been blocked.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Although ShopeePay has higher limits (up to 20 juta for a verified person/address), Shopee only supports locally issued Visa and Mastercards.

jukung11

Cager
I have not had to do this recently, but I have done this with a few retail and travel sites in Indonesia that rejected my international card. My recollection was matahari mall, tiket, and tokopedia all did this. I contacted customer service for the website. I gave them a photo of my passport and credit card in the same picture for verification of authenticity. They were able to add the card to their system as an approved card. Best of luck.

Balifrog

I have not had to do this recently, but I have done this with a few retail and travel sites in Indonesia that rejected my international card. My recollection was matahari mall, tiket, and tokopedia all did this. I contacted customer service for the website. I gave them a photo of my passport and credit card in the same picture for verification of authenticity. They were able to add the card to their system as an approved card. Best of luck.
Mmmmm, having my passport data + my CC info stored in some database with probably very limited security is not something I would do.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
True. But I would be even more concerned about giving it to a customer service rep of some company over the phone and by e-mail.

Nowadays all European cards work with a PIN so with (online) purchases you would still have to enter the payment module of your financial institution.

Well, that's what I was told and thought until the magnetic strip of my card was read by a mobile terminal in a restaurant and the transaction was immediately approved 😱

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww46
Top Bottom