To Thailand Expat in Jakarta (I'm looking for information)

udarawan

Hello, i will stay for a quite long time in south Jakarta soon. I would like to know is there many Thailand expat there in Jakarta? Is there any Thailand community or something? And where you guys stay? Is there any area/district where many Thailand people are staying?

And one more, i will be need to send money back to Thailand quite often, is there any recommendation what to use?

Thank you so much.

snpark

Cager
You mean Thai citizens? No not many, hardly any, male or female. They just don't seem to travel well. Even the girls don't make it this far. Singapore yes maybe. But even for Thai businessmen they don't really venture here so much.

Sending money, just use a bank account once you have your KITAS and IMTA and NPWP etc legally, then you can open a bank account. Or some people like to use online apps like transferwise but I don't know if they send Baht or rupiah to Thailand

How often is often? Weekly? Monthly? And how much? $200 a time or $2000 ?

Puspawarna

Cager
A friend of mine used transferwise and was unhappy with the hidden high fees - I don't know any details.

In my 17 years of living in Jakarta as an expat, I came across Thai women searching desperately for compatriots two or three times. They found it frustratingly difficult to find other Thais, so I think spark is right, there are not many around. These are my only suggestions:

(1) Check with the Thai embassy to see if they know of any Thai-focused cultural or social activities you could take part in.

(2) Thailand is a member of ASEAN, and the Secretariat is located in Jakarta. As a result, there are DEFINITELY Thai citizens working there. I don't know how you would find/connect with them; here is a link to the Secretariat: https://asean.org At a quick glance they don't seem to list staff but maybe if you hunt through the site you would find some Thai names and contact info - then you could drop them a line asking if they are aware of a Thai community you could connect with.

Honestly, I don't have much optimism that either of those suggestions will yield much in terms of results. But, it is harmless to try!

William King

Charter Member
Cager
In my 12 years in Jakarta, I knew of two Thai people, both wives of farang whom had moved there. (both have since moved on)

udarawan

You mean Thai citizens? No not many, hardly any, male or female. They just don't seem to travel well. Even the girls don't make it this far. Singapore yes maybe. But even for Thai businessmen they don't really venture here so much.

Sending money, just use a bank account once you have your KITAS and IMTA and NPWP etc legally, then you can open a bank account. Or some people like to use online apps like transferwise but I don't know if they send Baht or rupiah to Thailand

How often is often? Weekly? Monthly? And how much? $200 a time or $2000 ?
Hmmm.. i see... Thank you for your insight.

I already checked transferwise, but it can't send from Indonesia to Thailand.
I'm gonna need to send maybe every months.. but the amount i'm still not sure, maybe around 500$..

snpark

Cager
I still suggest using your own bank account, since you are working here (legally?) it makes sense to open a domestic bank account while you are here, won't cost you anything and then you can transfer money when you like

Failing that, find someone you trust and ask them to do it for you, go to the bank with them and give them the cash in the branch and ask them to send it for you, and buy them a coffee as a thanks.

dafluff

Cager
Moderation note:

I had to ban the OP and 2 more accounts, as they were actually part of a schilling operation for a money transfer company.

I am leaving the post up out of respect to the other posters who contributed, and it did generate some discussion.

Dave

A friend of mine used transferwise and was unhappy with the hidden high fees - I don't know any details.
Interesting your friend says that, I use them all the time and have for years, they don't hide their fee's ever... plus 10 times cheaper than using my bank to transfer to here... at this stage I do not believe they have the ability to send money out of Indonesia.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
veryambiguous
Top Bottom