TIme to jump in and learn the language

Who said Indonesian was easy, I was told at the Ace at Lebak Bulas matikan Rumput,to me a poor English man, matikan Rumput is more logical, whereas Obat Rumput sounds like fertiliser, even Racun sounds logical, I'm under the impression now Indonesians cannot speak bahas indonesian

There are numerous Indonesian words that have been embraced directly from English,
if you don’t know an Indonesian word/term, try to “Indonesianise” an English word, who knows people may just understand.
i.e. informasi, produk, aplikasi, kontrol, pestisida, insektisida, herbisida etc.

Many people think it is an English influence, since they hear all the kids speaking some form of Singlish with each other since they attend a National+ school. [/rant]

But, in fact informatie, product, applicatie, controle, pesticide, insecticide, herbicide etc. are all Dutch. (And the derivatives from the Dutch era; the 'c' always got replaced by a 'k' since it was phoenetic of course.)

Agreed, often these words are related to words in the other West-Germanic languages (1 out of 100 English words have a Dutch origin, the most used and common word in the world's languages is 'boss' which is from the Dutch baas.). Or even Dutch adaptations from French of course, like caissière-kasir, enquête-angket, controle-kontrol, cadeau-kado). That is because before 1830, The BENELUX was in fact one country, and royalty and nobility often spoke French, the Napoleonic Code was also adopted at the time.

Anyway, that's why, if I really don't know the word, I try the Dutch version first. (And therefore my remark before that some might have it easier than others to pick up this language.)

Examples from the old days: stopkontakt, kortsluiting, band, versnelling. Hell, I even tried havermout when nobody in the supermarket understood oat meal.... (and to my surprise)

And lately I asked a worker what he was doing when he was working with a vibratory rammer to flatten the ground. He said: "stemper". Ah, should have known, (tril)stamper.

Last edited:
try to “Indonesianise” an English word, who knows people may just understand.
^vibratory rammer

Can you imagine, asking in Lindeteves Trade Center: "ada vibrator remeh?"

Now in that location you can get lucky, since many of the younger Chinese owners who took over the shop from the parents, studied in Australia or the US or so.

Who said Indonesian was easy, I was told at the Ace at Lebak Bulas matikan Rumput,to me a poor English man, matikan Rumput is more logical, whereas Obat Rumput sounds like fertiliser, even Racun sounds logical, I'm under the impression now Indonesians cannot speak bahas indonesian
Fertilizer is always 'pupuk', but poison can either be 'obat' or 'racun'.

I think the confusion comes from 'matikan'. In formal Indonesian you would say "saya mencari yang buat mematikan rumput liar", while informally in Jakartan lingo it would be "saya nyari yang buat matiin rumput liar". If you want to be precise, the standard word is "pembasmi gulma", literally means weed eradicator.

Fertilizer is always 'pupuk', but poison can either be 'obat' or 'racun'.

I think the confusion comes from 'matikan'. In formal Indonesian you would say "saya mencari yang buat mematikan rumput liar", while informally in Jakartan lingo it would be "saya nyari yang buat matiin rumput liar". If you want to be precise, the standard word is "pembasmi gulma", literally means weed eradicator.

Thanks for that, I will try that next time

Rumput liar. +

What always strikes me, esp. here, is that they can not make the link. If you are confronted with a foreigner, is it really so hard to 're'interpret something they are saying?

Come on now, half the time the hapless SPGs don't even know what you're talking about even if you spoke perfect Indonesian....

Today a guy understood my 'brengsek'. Well you're never sure of course if they don't dare to react...

I find it a bit odd, some chap is talking away on the TV, so I ask my Daughter who speaks very good English what did he say, she tells me, so I ask her why did he jaw for so long, when you told me in no time at all, she just says that's Indonesian

In fact it's rather straight forward and easy to have a casual conversation.

E.g. the translated version of a chat in a taxi:
He: Where are your from Mister? You: I am from xxxxx. He: Ah, from xxxxx. You: Yes, from xxxxx.
Everything gets repeated.

Last edited:

He: Where are your from Mister? You: I am from xxxxx. He: Ah, from xxxxx. You: Yes, from xxxxx.

I can do those types of conversation, also where are you from and where are you going

But that applies to almost everything and everybody (here); a question is asked, an answer is given, the answer is repeated, the answer is acknowledged.

And then 5 minutes have passed.

When I first came here Suharto would make a speech on TV, he would talk for hours, I don't think anybody listen,

A lot of Indonesians have this habit of repeating stuff. My dad used to drive my mom crazy by dwelling on one thing for minutes. It has gotten worse since his memory began to decline...

Dad: Is this fish?
Mom: Yes
Dad: Aaah, fish!
Mom: Right
Dad: Fish indeed
Mom: Of course
Dad: Fish, right?
Mom: YES!

When it comes to most Indonesians, you get to hear the same stories and opinions over and over and over and over and over again. All like this is the first time you are hearing it.

But, in fact informatie, product, applicatie, controle, pesticide, insecticide, herbicide etc. are all Dutch.

J, you da man!
Those are Dutch loan words not English I stand corrected, just like kepala seksi is not ‘sexy’ head but Dutch loan word for a ‘section’ chief.

A lot of Indonesians have this habit of repeating stuff.

Could that be the early onset of latah syndrome? (Indonesian abnormal condition where the person afflicted
mimics the words or actions of those around them)

Many Indonesians would rather repeat a story rather than sitting through an uncomfortable silence. One of my coworkers love to repeat his 'curhat' or stories about a co-workers, how the company should be run, the mistake we made, etc. over and over. Worse usually every Friday (or after he encountered a problem with a project, then he rambles and repeats...)

Many Indonesians would rather repeat a story rather than sitting through an uncomfortable silence. One of my coworkers love to repeat his 'curhat' or stories about a co-workers, how the company should be run, the mistake we made, etc. over and over. Worse usually every Friday (or after he encountered a problem with a project, then he rambles and repeats...)
That sounds bad, cos it will repeatedly demotivate your staff.

---

I found out one has to repeat the subject of conversation repeatedly. It doesn't seem flow from one sentence to another.

Example: 1 is me, 2 is an indonesian.
1: Lets go out tonight.
2: Ok.
1: Basque?
2: What about Basque?
1: Lets go to the restaurant Basque.
2: When do you want to go to Basque?
1: .... tonight.
2: ooooh ok.

I learnt to speak with more details and full sentences. It would go like this now:
1: So tonight we meet in Basque at 10pm?

Anyone noticed it, or its just me?

So why do we call Mosquito Killer 'obat nyamuk' but Rat Killer 'racun tikus'? I have no clue.

My ex-wife used to run a little kiosk selling the usual stuff but every time someone asked for obat nyamuk I would ask them why they don't take the mosquito to the rumah sakit and give them an infus so that the mosquito would quickly regain it's health.

Almost everyone would laugh but also said that it's a fair point. It seems even Indonesians don't understand why they say obat nyamuk

I found out one has to repeat the subject of conversation repeatedly. It doesn't seem flow from one sentence to another.

Example: 1 is me, 2 is an Indonesian.
1: Basque?
2: What about Basque?
1: Lets go to the restaurant Basque.
2: When do you want to go to Basque?
1: .... tonight.

I learnt to speak with more details and full sentences. It would go like this now:
1: So tonight we meet in Basque at 10pm?

Anyone noticed it, or its just me?

Maybe you should’ve asked open-ended questions that require more than one word and even knowledge to answer.
Like "How are you guys planning to enjoy this beautiful night?â€
Or “Let’s go out tonight, pick your favorite hole in the wall Warteg, it's on me but convince me first the food is good."

My ex-wife used to run a little kiosk selling the usual stuff but every time someone asked for obat nyamuk I would ask them why they don't take the mosquito to the rumah sakit and give them an infus so that the mosquito would quickly regain it's health.

From http://kbbi.web.id/obat diff meanings for obat 1. Medicine
2.chem. ingredients/concoction/potion.

obat nyamuk (chem. Ingredient/concoction to kill nyamuk)
obat bedil (gun powder)
obat guna (love potion)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back